Phantoms in the rain

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I drove in the rain for the first time since v9 the other day, and had an odd effect - phantom cars would regularly appear next to and behind me on the display, usually lasting for 1-10 seconds. I think they were primarily associated with the lights of cars or more often semis behind me making the rain bright enough for the cameras to detect as something. I'd be very curious to know what the actual autopilot system makes of those phantoms though - it never directly reacted to them, but I never tried to change lanes into one of them either (maybe next time...).

FRC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I drove in the rain for the first time since v9 the other day, and had an odd effect - phantom cars would regularly appear next to and behind me on the display, usually lasting for 1-10 seconds. I think they were primarily associated with the lights of cars or more often semis behind me making the rain bright enough for the cameras to detect as something. I'd be very curious to know what the actual autopilot system makes of those phantoms though - it never directly reacted to them, but I never tried to change lanes into one of them either (maybe next time...).
I've also experienced some of these phantoms. One came at me from my rear right and slammed into me on the display. That first time, it was actually dangerous because I involuntarily swerved left to avoid the phantom.

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes driving in a down pour and next to a concrete jersey wall/barrier at night caused phantom buses to show up to the left of me where there was no lane even. I think it was reflections of my own car causing it. Didn't cause any real problem though. I wouldn't autopilot in that type of weather anyway.

Enginerd

Country
Country
I'm pretty sure it's just because the cameras are being obscured/distorted by rain and mist. I've noticed that in heavy rain/mist, AP does a better job right after the wipers swish past the forward facing cameras. The side and rear cameras would probably benefit as well, but there's no mechanism to clear them... unless they decide to heat the lenses. At least Nav On Autopilot is smart enough to know its capabilities are diminished in these conditions.

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At least Nav On Autopilot is smart enough to know its capabilities are diminished in these conditions.
Interestingly, NoA did not put up it's restricted warning until near the end of the drive, went for ~30 min with no issues despite the phantoms. On the whole autopilot works very well in the rain, and is frequently better at seeing the lane markers in dark wet conditions than I am.