Planning on white seats? Check out this interior cleaner

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Repair' started by AZ_M3, Sep 13, 2017.

1. AZ_M3

Expand Collapse

Country
    #1 AZ_M3, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Exterior and interior color are the only things I've yet to decide on for my 3 confi, and since I'm really interested in the unique white synthetic seat option, this may be the deciding factor that drives exterior choice. Since I have nothing but time on my hands I decided to check the seats out in person. There was a black X with white seats in the showroom last time I was at the Tempe, AZ store so I headed over. To my surprise (and heartbreak), the showroom had been fully transitioned to service and deliveries only.

It wasn't a total loss though. I saw my first Tesla mobile service van in the parking lot and spoke with Jack, a really nice tech working on an S. Who better to ask than someone that's seen a ton of used interiors right? He couldn't speak highly enough about the white option's durability and resilience. He came from Ford and asked if I recalled the white leather they offered on the Mustang years ago. "Absolutely terrible," he said. He commented that Tesla's offering is world's better, and cleans right up very easily.

When I asked about cleaning and maintenance, he pulled this stuff from his van like it was pure gold. "Magic" he called it. Easily cleans the interiors (all colors, including white), particularly headliners, to like new condition in a few swipes. New demin stains, you name it.

Despite the recurring nightmares of what my 2 and 6 yr old boys might do to wreck the back seat, I'm sold on white for now. You can pick up the stuff here, and just a heads up shipping is pretty ridiculous.

Would love to hear any personal stories about the white interior from S/X owners (assuming it's the same material that will be in the 3)

[​IMG]
    imghost

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OneSixtyToOne

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TesLou

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Hmmm...irritant, eh? Not sure I want to use that stuff.

4. AZ_M3

Expand Collapse

Country
    Hm, yeah that's news to me. Thanks for sharing that OneSixtytoOne

5. Justmurr

Expand Collapse

Country
    Thanks for the cleaner tip.
    I really hope I can order the white seats... being east coast, non owner I might have a chance. I'm also a line waiter (about 40th in line that morning) but really want to get the white seats. I would need them to be an option when I get access to configure though...I'm not waiting for it.
    The wife has already said I'd be crazy to get a white interior...who would even offer that she says?! You wouldn't even be able to wear jeans if you got white seats she says...that's just ridiculous she says...
    So rather than trying convince her how Tesla's white seats are different -- I just agreed with her.

I still want them. So I hold out hope that I can get them, order them and then when I get the car just act surprised...
    "They must have messed up my order babe?! Can't change it now though (he says with a shrug)"

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    The white seats are amazing in person. I definitely would have considered them if it wasn’t my desire for first production and getting the car as soon as possible.

7. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Bumping this thread as I've begun researching interior cleaners and I'm at a loss for the best option. I think the black seats are the same material as the white seats (or least if they're not the same, they're both not actual leather). That does beg the question of what is the best product to use. I'm looking to set my lineup of materials and test on my current car.

Historically, I have had good success with Detailer's Pride Total Interior Cleaner.

I just want to make sure I have the right cleaner/conditioner for the type of seats that will be in Model 3.

8. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    Thanks for the info. Looks like the product is available in Canada direct from Würth but only for businesses. Good thing I have a business :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I think you are overthinking it. Polyurethane fabric, particularly the dark colors, just needs an occasional wipe down with a damp cloth. Mild soap or baby wipes for more 'serious' cleaning. No conditioning is required as it's an inert material.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Hmm... thanks for the confirmation of my overthinking :)

Sometimes I need that kick!

As an aside, I did find a product for “faux leather” so I guess we’ll all keep an eye on it and see if anything additional is needed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bryan@Peachstate Detail

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I use ONR to clean the seats on clients Tesla's, it will get out just about anything. One of my client wore some "special" blue jeans and ONR would not clean those according to him, but I've definitely got blue jean dye transfer out of gray and tan Tesla leather. You can also use ONR to clean interior glass, wipe down the screen and clean all interior materials.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    ONR as in Optimum No Rinse?

13. Bryan@Peachstate Detail

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    Yes, Optimum No Rinse aka ONR.

Use a clean MF and dip in your bucket of ONR at 256:1. After wringing out the towel lightly scrub the seat and follow with a waffle weave drying towel. For glass use the same MF towel and wipe in both directions, then dry with a quality MF waffle weave drying towel. Same for rest of interior: screen, dash and doors.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks for confirming! I wash my car with ONR, so very happy to hear the expanded use potential!

15. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I have always used Vinylex on the black leatherette seats of my last three cars, and will probably use it on my model 3 as well.
    http://amzn.to/2Acjxah

• Like Like x 1