1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Planning to do a trade-in?

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by BigBri, Aug 6, 2016.

More threads by BigBri
  1. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    Just curious to see what others are planning to do with their existing cars once the 3 is ready.

It's a tricky scenario with not having a Tesla dealer closer. I'm going to have to drive to Toronto for the delivery and a big part of me just wants to trade my car in to make the experience easier and more enjoyable but another side of me knows I'd be losing potentially thousands of dollars on the old car and am considering selling it myself. I wish I bought an older car as I didn't anticipate even putting a deposit down on a 3 so soon. I've barely had it a year.

Is there anyone thats bought an S or X and done a tradein? Would be curious how good the deal was. I imagine with Tesla using a 3rd party to take the trades that there isn't any wiggle room.

• Like Like x 1
    • bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
      City & State/Province:
      Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
      I took a test drive of a Model S a few weeks ago and they asked if I was going to trade anything in towards the 3 or if I wanted to buy an S and trade something in. I'm currently driving a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 208,XXX miles on it. The Tesla rep looked up my car and said that they were going to give me $1,500 for it and though that money would be nice towards the model 3, it might be nice to hold onto this car until it dies seeing as how $1,500 isn't exactly a lot of money for a fully working car. I've literally had this car for a decade so part of me just wants to see how far I can go with it. I take care of my cars and I enjoy making them last and I will most likely do the same with the Model 3/S (keep it till it dies). You will always get more for your car if you can sell it yourself, but that will of course take some work.

• Like Like x 1
      • garsh

Dis Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Pittsburgh PA
        Country
        In particular, I've heard that Tesla offers less than other car dealers. They don't sell used cars themselves, so they end up just auctioning them off to other dealers. So you're better off selling it in just about any other way than trading it in to Tesla.

• Like Like x 1
        • BigBri

Top-Contributor
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Toronto, Ontario
          Country
          My plan too. I'll probably keep the 3 for as long as I can. I bought a Sonata last year thinking I'd have it for years but I've been able to save towards the 3.

Yeah they have a 3rd party that takes them in. I forget the name of the company. I'm thinking if I can get 10k for it I'll just give it to them. I paid 16k which was a fair bit under dealer value. The lot I bought it from wasn't able to sell it.

• Jakesthree

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Ottawa
          Country
          Also, the amount for your trade gets deducted from the price of the new car before taxes are calculated so here in Ontario you save an additional 13%.

• Like Like x 1
          • BigBri

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Toronto, Ontario
            Country
            Interesting.. that being said the province is working to eliminate tax from EVs. I don't know if you went and bought a Tesla or a Leaf today if you'd pay full tax but I know the province will be waiving their portion of the tax and are working to get Ottawa to waive theirs.

• TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
            Staff Member Founder
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Aurora,Ontario
            Country
            I currently have a lease on a 2015 Lincoln Mkc that expires in April 2018. I timed it that way on purpose. While we will return that vehicle I'm still undecided if we should lease the Model 3 or just buy it. I get bored after about 3 years and it's a write off for my business but the rebates expire in 2020 so any replacement car would be more expensive. If we buy it then the rebate we get back will help float resale prices after they expire hopefully.

• bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
            City & State/Province:
            Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
            Being in Canada I sure hope you get your model 3 by 2018.

But common you gotta buy the Model 3. You'll be one of the first Canadians to own one that's gotta be special. I'm sure the resale value on the car will be good enough that you wont loose too much. I do get the business right off though, thats a big deal.