1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Porsche Engineer Reportedly Calls Tesla's Ludicrous Mode a "Facade"

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by garsh, Jun 17, 2016.

More threads by garsh
  1. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Porsche Engineer Reportedly Calls Tesla's Ludicrous Mode a "Facade"
    [​IMG]
    "The thing about [Tesla's] Ludicrous mode is that it's a façade," the engineer said. "Two launches saps the whole battery. That won't be the case with the Mission E. You'll be able to run it hard, over and over; the battery will not overheat, the power control module will not overheat, and the seats will not suck."

Yes, anonymous Porsche engineer, but tell us how you really feel about the Tesla Model S.

Continue reading...

2. Topher

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Country
    "Two launches saps the whole battery"

So 45 kWh per launch huh? That energy is going where exactly?

Thank you kindly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • MelindaV

☰ > 3
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Vancouver, WA
      Country
      IDK, I've heard of people out on lengthy test drives with multiple 'L' trials, so think 'two launches' is a little exaggerated.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • garsh

Dis Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Pittsburgh PA
        Country
        From what I've read in various places, Ludicrous mode requires some pretty specific set of circumstances. The car will still be very fast outside of those conditions, but you won't have 0-60mph acceleration of 2.8s.

Car and Driver: 2015 Tesla Model S P90D
        Maximum acceleration is available only when the battery’s state of charge is above 95 percent and “max battery performance mode” is set on the control screen. When we test, we average two acceleration runs in opposite directions to eliminate wind and grade effects. Normally that’s no issue, but because the Model S’s performance deteriorates with heat build-up in the battery pack, controllers, wiring, and electric motors, pausing at least three minutes between acceleration runs is necessary.

Ludicrous isn't Ludicrous until the battery is hot!
        Under the Ludicrous button is says Max Battery Power. Next to that it will say "Preparing..." After that it will say "Ready!"
        Max Battery Power is Bright Blue but the Preparing and Ready are faint. You have to hit the Max Battery Power to get a screen that says: Something about heating the battery to get max ohms. I didn't memorize while I was driving. After you hit the button, or you can cancel, the button begins preparing. If you look at some of the screen shots out there it doesn't look like people knew you had to start the process.

• Curtish8892

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Toronto, Canada
        In 3 years I would think Tesla will stay ahead of Porsche. The numbers they are putting out there now are equal to Tesla at the current time.

I love how every OEM that are putting out the future Tesla killer are not planning to release them until 2018 or later and using current numbers. I think it is just all talk and they really do not want to enter the EV market.