Power Meter - Dots for less power?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

BLDRN3R

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I noticed this the other day and decided to see if it would come back.

As the battery in my M3 gets lower and lower I see dots beginning to appear on the far right edge of the power meter (see attached photo). The most I have seen is three dots when I was down to about 50 miles of range.

Has anyone else seen these or have an explanation of what they are? It reminds me of a 'redline' in an ICE car to show where power output caps, esp. as battery gets lower and theres more of a necessity to preserve range/performance.

Will post more photos this week as the dots increase.

Attachments

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My guess (based on how my Leaf behaves):

A battery with a low state of charge is physically unable to deliver as much current as one that's well-charged. So as your battery gets really low, this is probably how the car lets you know that you will not be able to accelerate as hard as you usually can. Those dots represent "currently unreachable" power.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen that before with higher capacity as well. My gut feeling was that it was more about battery temp or some other factor that simply limited max output.

That said, even flooring the car the bar never hits the end anyway :)

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The dots can appear on either end of the meter, and indicate the max allowed (regent or power) in that direction. Various reasons: state of charge, current conditioning state, temp.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen that before with higher capacity as well. My gut feeling was that it was more about battery temp or some other factor that simply limited max output.

That said, even flooring the car the bar never hits the end anyway :)
Following up to reverse what I said. Either I never noticed or this changed with the latest update but the bar most certainly hits the end under full throttle. It’s just the regen side that never hits the end :)

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
come west. we have all the best things, like mountains ;)
I always like my travel west, that is until I have to come back home and lose 3 hours.