Previous Owner on New Model 3

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked up my red AWD M3 from Tyson's Corner, VA on 18NOV. Car looked good except for a few small cosmetic things (slight uneven gaps, couple of paint chips), was sold to me as a new car- no mention of any previous owner.
I just noticed another temporary VA registration slip in the glovebox (prob should have noticed sooner), with someone else's name, same VIN, and registered on 9NOV. I plan on reaching out to the delivery team once the store opens up today to find out what the deal is.
If the car was registered in someone else's name wouldn't that mean that this car should be considered used? I'm wondering if the previous "owner" decided to return it within the 24 hour period or if there was some kind of major damage that caused him to decline delivery? Just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience or has any advice.
Thanks!

JasonF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's also possible it was someone who couldn't obtain financing, or rejected delivery, decided to order a Performance, or changed their mind.

As far as I know, the car would only be considered used if the buyer signs all the paperwork. The registration stuff is pre-made at the time of delivery, so if the car arrived at the Tesla showroom and then the owner rejected it somehow, it would have registration paperwork already completed.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good point- Yeah, everything was already pre-filled out at delivery. One annoying thing though- my temp registration expires the same time as the original owner's registration (9DEC)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good point- Yeah, everything was already pre-filled out at delivery. One annoying thing though- my temp registration expires the same time as the original owner's registration (9DEC)
the service center person filling out reg paper could have done the wrong vin for the other owner and it was discovered when they arrived - and the paper copy that was already in your car was not discarded.
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Tesla was trying to pull something over on you.

2pix

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
13 miles on the car at delivery
The Red is really nice congrats! The registration thing is strange, maybe a paperwork screw up. Did you have a VIN prior to delivery? Definitely follow up to make sure everything is correct especially since the temporary registration is back dated. My Model 3 had 29 miles on it when I took delivery however looking back, my VIN was assigned within a week of it being made so pretty sure it was always mine. They claim below 50 is still considered new. 13 is a good number.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Red is really nice congrats!.
Thanks! I love it.
So after speaking to someone in delivery, apparently the registration slip was in the car from the original delivery that was cancelled- the previous "owner" of the car never took possestion of the car- they couldn't say exactly why.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I was about to pull the trigger on my M3 I changed my mind on the build I had ordered and got my $2500 back. However, they had already sent me the VIN number, paperwork and sticker for the window. I then placed a new order for a different car and got a different vin, etc..
I can see how a copy of that paperwork could still be sitting in the car I had ordered originally and they just forgot to remove it. I wouldn't worry.