1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Primary Motivation for Reserving Model ≡?

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by John, May 23, 2016.

?

Which MOSTLY motivated you to reserve a Model 3?

1. Tree Hugger ("We have to do something about climate change.")

21.5%
  2. Geek ("Giant touchscreen, autopilot, and integration with my phone? Sold.")

40.4%
  3. Motor Head ("Want to drag race?")

4.5%
  4. All of the above

33.6%
More threads by John
  1. John

Tech CEO
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    #1 John, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Marc Tarpenning (one of the Tesla founders) once noted something to the effect that tree-huggers and geeks have a surprising amount of money. Leading me to wonder about the PRIMARY motivations of folks who reserved a
    Model ≡.

Of course, your motivations are complex, and probably include more than one of these. But imagine if the Model 3 did NOT satisfy one of these. Losing which one would make you NOT have placed a reservation?

2. John

Tech CEO
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    I voted "Geek." I'll admit it, I want a computer with a car wrapped around it. Love the performance and being able to fill up in my driveway, but those are side benefits to me.

3. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Damn, no multiple choice...

Geek and tree hugger. I don't care about racing but having a silent Intergalactic spaceboat of light and wonder is a lot of fun to show off. I plan on allowing lots of Tesla time to show off the car and give as many rides as possible.

It's the test ride that sells the car and the more people are exposed the more they will consider retiring their fossil cars running on Dino squeezings.

• Like Like x 5
  4. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    I am somewhere between a geek and motor head. I love the new electronics as they come out and sometimes just HAVE to have it! :)
    For the Model 3 the timing is right. Kids are grown (still 1 in H.S.) and I no longer feel the need for such a big car....Yukon XL.
    Though I may keep it for Home Depot trips :0
    I love the look, handling,speed and especially the idea of a car built around a battery and computer. I am all for getting off Arab oil and very much for drilling our expansive reserves here in the USA. This may be in contrast to a lot of EV drivers thinking but that's how I feel.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Where's the 'All of the Above' choice?:) Didnt vote for that reason and as to not 'skew' your results......but in all honesty it's 1 & 2, 3 as close runner-up/backup.

Ski

6. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I picked "motorhead", but only because it was closest to my motivation. I studied motors & generators in college and worked on diesel-electric locomotives as an intern at GE. It's *that* technology that pulls me in. I just want electric cars to succeed because it's a better technology once we overcome the various battery limitations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cali Desert Driver

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California desert
    For me it's a bit of everything... maybe a bit of mid-life crisis thrown in. I want, for the first time, a new premium vehicle that is put together exactly as I want it with performance (but not ludicrous for me). Additionally I want something as green as possible (first installation when we moved to desert was rooftop solar panels).

The geek factor of a computer on wheels really appeals to me... With the safety features of autopilot (and possible autonomous drive in future) it's a huge selling factor for me with my long late night drives. If it has a HUD it'll be the most amazing ride ever for me. Of course the more I can save now means the bigger my down will be and the more options I can afford!

Tesla hit this one out of the ballpark for me. Right price point, right features and right capabilities with the range I need.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I could pick any of those... but ordered in priority would be geek, a very close second is hugging trees and lastly cars.
    I love the latest tech, live in the home of the tree huggers and love my cars (but have zero interest in racing them).

• Like Like x 1
  9. sandange

Expand Collapse

Retired
    City & State/Province:
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Country
    All three for me in reality.
    Tree huger 1st, as in our home and life style - we're very into alternative home building & EVs
    Next is equal geek & motor head - I like my electronic toys &
    I have a long history of motorcycle riding - hot street bikes when I was younger - but later , mostly I loved long distance touring & cruisers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. John

Tech CEO
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    I get that the car appeals in many ways. If you're having trouble gauging your PRIMARY motivation, here's another approach to the same question.

Which of the following hurts the most?

1. It looks and performs exactly as advertised, but it has a super-efficient internal combustion engine.
    2. The car is all electric, but it has conventional automotive gauges and no large touch screen. Nav is optional, and on a small screen. Autopilot not an option.
    3. The car is exactly as advertised. However, the best 0-60 time you can buy is 7.6 seconds, the same as a Honda Accord.

11. sandange

Expand Collapse

Retired
    City & State/Province:
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Country
    Number 1 would make us cancel

• Like Like x 2
  12. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    I like the tech but mostly its because i'd like features that aren't in my Model S which will be in the 3 and I don't want to pay (again) for a Model S...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Michel Cote

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mont-St-Grégoire
    Tree hugger over anything else, It's 5 times what I would pay for a fossile car.
    I would exchange 0-100km/h , look, wheel diameter, autopilot, and especially HYPE for more range AND cheaper price.
    Tesla is very keen at improving planet and targeting mass market. But we have to remember Prius outsell M3 big time and is ugly eco-slow.
    I had wished that M3 had more aero + powertrain for higher range. (less peak torque but more efficient at highway power levels)
    But that's only me and it seem that I am alone thinking that.

Overall I think that I will be happy with it, close enough for me to commit on one.

14. John

Tech CEO
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    I think the press writ large is missing the point about Model 3. Of course it excites the ecologically conscientious, but 400K goes way beyond the semi-disrespected niche to which hybrid and BEV vehicles seemed relegated.

This is shaping up to be a seriously cool car given its pedigree and design goals, no matter which of the three buckets you find yourself in.

And yes, I realize some of you wear multiple buckets, proudly. You look like the Tin Man, by the way.

Just sayin'.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Adey

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Sunderland, England
    I voted for geek but would have equally went for motor head

I wouldn't say I'm a tree hugger but when watching the reveal and actually understanding the company, they certainly help to get behind the tree hugger option a bit, as it makes so much sense

16. Gary Moore

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mountain House, CA
    Country
    In all known multiverses you:

• Are someone whose avatar consists entirely of vegetation.
    • Believe we are killing an entire planet for fun and profit, rather than honestly acknowledge science.
    • Know how Augusta Ada King-Noel, the Countess of Lovelace, spent her time.
    • Wrote Atari games in 6502 Assembler Language.
    • Once raced against Lee Iacocca's Ford creation on Woodward Avenue in the late Sixties.
    • Have learned how to do the Corvette wave.
    • Have no idea whatsoever how to answer the survey.
    • All of the above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, ON
    Country
    #17 Blackout, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    - For me it's pretty much all three of them...I'm definitely a drag race addict lol (Or I used to be...), I like to have the latest tech in my car to show them off lol and
    I don't consider myself a tree hugger. The way I see it, we have to do something about reducing the consumption of oil...My philosophy is everything in nature is balance and is there for a reason. There is a reason why Earth needs most of its space occupied by water, and reducing that from 2/3 to 1/3 could have some serious damaging impact to our species...maybe it's the same thing for oil...I don't know exactly what that reason is, but I'm sure Oil has a role in the overall well-being of Earth...Kind of like how Blood is essentials to our well being...Last thing you'll want is too many mosquitos sucking out that blood out of you...
    So consuming it like we do, adding to that releasing that much Co2 in our Ecosystem is not a good idea and Something needs to be done about it...(having said that I'm aware that meat consumption produces more CO2 than cars, but for sure the current Co2 pollution from car doesn't help the situation...)

I found that the Electric alternative fun, exciting and with the help of renewable energy safe.(combination with Solar panel...) I remember the first time in 2007 I saw this amateur video about a red roadster, It was this regular joe guy who must have met an early Roadster owner who I suspect aTesla Executive. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about the Overall plan of Tesla building the mass market Electric in 3 steps...When I heard it, I was like woow that's a genius idea.
    I was young back then, starting University and right there I wanted to get involve, especially after they announced the Model S. I wanted to be a Beta tester for the company helping the technology to move forward in my own way. But I was too poor for that lol, since then I've been following Tesla...

Now with the Model 3 I can reach this goal of owning a Tesla car in its first iteration and help the technology move forward, as I always wanted it....It's not a 2 years wait for me it's closer to 10...

18. Ryan Wright

Expand Collapse

Sales / Author
    City & State/Province:
    California
    I chose tree hugger, but I fall into the geek category as well....

• Like Like x 1
  19. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Argyle, Texas
    Country
    If I have to pick just one, it is "tree hugger". We have to do something to clean up our mess and get rid of Big Oil, especially oil from the Middle east. But I do love tech and how S3Xy it is.:oops:

20. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Country
    Definitely Motorhead first, tree hugger a close second and geek a somewhat distant third (at least in the sense described here, underneath the pile of Road & Track mags on my nightstand you'll find a few Scientific Americans and NASA history books). So yes, I would gladly still buy the 3 if it had nothing more than a set of steam gauges and rear defroster switch in the dash. I suspect this makes me a very small tranche of the current Tesla demographic. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not at all anti-tech. I dig the cool features this car will offer, especially Autopilot to kill those mind numbing runs up and down the 401. But that's not what's going to get me to drop more than three times what I've ever spent on a car in my life. That commitment comes from the fact that I've suddenly been presented with a option that actually merges my passion with my concerns.
    Until now being a Motorhead and Tree Hugger were at completely opposite ends of the human behavioral spectrum. Tesla in one fell swoop made them mutually compatible. Clean, green speed, complete with the supporting network to allow one to roam the continent at will. I still find it miraculous. My future as an enthusiast has not just been liberated of a terrible guilt, it's been made Ludicrously better :D.

• Like Like x 2