1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Promotion of Electric Cars via Turo

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by Matthew Morgan, Mar 12, 2017.

More threads by Matthew Morgan
  1. Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Country
    I've been in the market for a used electric vehicle to rent it out on Turo and drive when its not being rented out.

Since it's so hot in Phoenix, AZ, I didn't want to buy a Nissan Leaf (or MiEV) because of the battery issues here, therefore, I told myself that I would buy any electric car with active battery cooling when the price was $6,000 or less. Lo and behold, Smart Electric cars have been coming off their leases and being sold for rock-bottom prices at auctions in California.

I was able to pick one up in great condition for $5,900 (plus tax / registration) last week.

IMG_0059.JPGIMG_0058.JPGIMG_0057.JPGIMG_0055.JPG
    Even though it takes like 12 seconds to go from 0-16, this thing is super fun to drive. My girlfriend likens it to driving a golf cart. :( I have been driving it to work over the past week and originally had some range anxiety (because of its 65 mile range) but only after one week I no longer carry that anxiety. For instance, today I ran a bunch of errands putting me at 60 miles but the car handled it beautifully with no problems. Now that I'm on the lookout for charging stations, I was able to get some free juice at a Whole Foods Market.

If you want a 3-year old (new to you) car for under $8,000 this car is great.

On to the original point of this thread:

It is my plan to list this car on Turo next week to see how much income I can gain from renting this car out. From my calculation, if I list the car at $23 per day, I would need to rent the car out 4 times per month to pay for the insurance/cleaning fees.
    • Turo takes a 25% cut from the rental cost to insure the vehicle and vet the renters. 23*75% = $17.25 per day in my pocket.
    To get a complete return on my investment, I would need to rent out the vehicle another 347 days over and above the 4 day per month I need to pay for insurance.
    • If I rent out 13 days per month, car is "paid off" after 3 years.
    • If i rent out 17 days per month, car is "paid off" after 2 years.
    Furthermore, my payoff time will be faster if I choose to drive electric vs my gas car.
    • 25 mpg @ $2.25 per gallon yields $0.09 / mile
    • 3.3 miles per kWhr @ $0.05 per kWhr yields $0.015 / mile
    I save 7.5 cents per mile just on the cost of propellant. Assume I exchange 6000 miles over the coming year, I will save $450 which knocks off 7.5% of the car price.

Anyways, I plan to update this post as I list the car on Turo and start renting it out. I know Turo can help some of us with the cost of the Model 3 and I'm testing it out with a cheaper car to see if its worth putting my Tesla Model 3 on the website for rent.

• Like Like x 2
    • BigBri

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Country
      Really interested to see how this works out for you. I've got a second Model3 reservation to utilize the Tesla Network idea. Plan to just bump the reservation until the idea is a reality and then run the car as often as it possibly can. If that goes well I may try expand into 3 or 4 cars. I've had enough miserable taxi experiences over the years that I'd love to put 50 autonomous cars on the road and drive some of the locals out of business.

• Like Like x 1
      • MelindaV

☰ > 3
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Vancouver, WA
        Country
        Matthew - we just paid Thrifty $475/5 days for a compact (Accent I think it was) from PHX. Think you could easily charge more than $23/day

• KennethK

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Michigan
        Country
        I recently found out about Turo, so I decided to rent a car for a vacation. By doing so, I avoided all of the airport tax and got a better vehicle suited to my needs. Taxes amount to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the rental costs.

• Like Like x 1