PSA: Do not post referral codes in the forums

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2018/11/13 UPDATE:

TrevP has now added a "Referral Code" field in your user profile.
Please feel free to add your referral code to your profile.
This is the only place where a referral code may be added. Do not put it in your signature, or in any post.

If you wish to use another member's referral code, just click on their name to bring up a popup, then click their name in the popup to bring up their profile, then click the "About" tab to see if they have a referral field set.

Original post below:
-----

Tesla has created a bit of a unique situation with the Performance Model 3.
  • They retroactively included them in the referral program, after many people had placed an order.
  • They've started sending people referral links before they received their cars.
So now a lot of people are wondering if we can apply referral codes to each others's orders retroactively. It's an interesting question. If you go to Tesla's Referral Program page, and expand the "Frequently Asked Questions" section, it says:

My friend just took delivery of a new Tesla vehicle, but forgot to use my code. Can they apply it retroactively?​
Referral codes must be applied at the time of the order being placed and cannot be applied retroactively.

So if that's being enforced, it will not be possible. But it's possible that it is not enforced.

Whether or not it's possible, please review the forum rules. There is a link to the rules at the bottom of every page of the website. It says:

21. Competing Sites, Businesses, Individuals and Organizations
You agree not to attempt to gain traffic from M3OC in any way, including but not limited to, links in posts, signatures, profile information, PM's, or emails. This applies to, but is not limited to competing sites, businesses, individuals or organizations. The embedding of Tesla Referral codes in posts or signatures is not permitted.

I know it's tempting - this forum is full of people considering placing orders for Teslas. It's basically exactly the audience an advertiser would be looking for when deciding where to advertise a referral code. But we do not allow that here. We want this to be a forum for Model 3 owners and enthusiasts to discuss their cars. We do not want this place to become full of advertising. Even official sponsors of the website must keep their posts well targeted, and mostly within a sponsor-specific subforum.

I hope everybody understands and accepts our position on this.

Last edited:

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
[MOD EDIT]
Hi kids!

So, I created this great post explaining the forum position on this. Then I moved a bunch of existing posts into my shiny new thread. But those posts were older than my explanatory post, so my post got pushed down within the thread. If you want to jump down to it, click this link:

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/psa-do-not-post-referral-codes-in-the-forums.8153/#post-136143

[/MOD EDIT]
-----

Sorry I don’t know what the etiquette is on this. I know you can’t post referral codes. I called Tesla and they told me we could retroactively add referral codes once we are assigned a VIN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I would be interested in this if it is true,

I had heard otherwise somewhere else I believe it was on the M3OC podcast. Did you speak to your ISA or someone higher up the chain?

Last edited by a moderator:

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I would be interested in this if it is true,

I had heard otherwise somewhere else I believe it was on the M3OC podcast. Did you speak to your ISA or someone higher up the chain?
No just a rep on the customer service line. I don’t have a VIN so not sure if I have an ISA. He reassured me numerous times it is ok but it can’t be done by anyone other than your delivery advisor. Something to do with access to the system or something along those lines. He said once I get a DA that they will take care of it. I think it’s worth a shot. If we could all help each other out why not. What was that podcast dated? P3D just became referral eligible 8/1.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry I don’t know what the etiquette is on this. I know you can’t post referral codes. Is another Performance buyer interested in swapping referral codes so we can get free chargers? I called Tesla and they told me we could retroactively add referral codes once we are assigned a VIN. Maybe start a new thread so people can do this? Seems like a no lose situation to me for all of us performance orders.
I’m confused. I thought all P3Ds got free supercharging already.

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I’m confused. I thought all P3Ds got free supercharging already.
They do prior to 8/1, after that they must use a referral and supposedly after 9/16 no free supercharging. As a bonus if someone uses your code you get a free mini kid Tesla or HPWC. Look up Tesla’s referral page for details.

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I don’t want to get everyone’s hopes up based on what one customer service rep said. Maybe somebody has an hour to waste on hold this weekend and can call and see if they get the same answer.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They do prior to 8/1, after that they must use a referral and supposedly after 9/16 no free supercharging. As a bonus if someone uses your code you get a free mini kid Tesla or HPWC. Look up Tesla’s referral page for details.
Wow, that’s for just one referral? That’s $500. That’s more than the Tesla reps get for selling one and they have to split it.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I just ordered too, and have a referral code... but are y'all contemplating adding referral codes to your order retroactively? I'm not sure that's allowed.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, on the subject of having a thread where peoples' *interest* in swapping referrals can be posted, we're not going to permit that either. I know many will be disappointed by that. You'll have to find other sites/locations/methods for doing so. Sorry.

dannyskim

Saw it somewhere in the rules, plus I've seen other instances of it.

A mod has removed your referral code, as well as my quote that references your referral code.

dannyskim

DEAR MODS,
I don't see anything related to referral codes in the official rules thread. https://model3ownersclub.com/index.php?help/terms

Please explicitly state posting referal codes is against forum rules !!!
20. TRADEMARK INFORMATION

Model3OwnersClub.com, and the M3OC logo, trademarks and service marks, and other M3OC logos and product and service names are property of M3OC. Without M3OC’s prior permission, you agree not to display or use in any manner, the M3OC logo (logo's).

21. Competing Sites, Businesses, Individuals and Organizations You agree not to attempt to gain traffic from M3OC in any way, including but not limited to, links in posts, signatures, profile information, PM's, or emails. This applies to, but is not limited to competing sites, businesses, individuals or organizations. The embedding of Tesla Referral codes in posts or signatures is not permitted. You accept that M3OC has the right to erase any information displayed/posted on Model3OwnersClub.com that may push traffic towards competitors.