PSA: Tesla owners report higher insurance costs due to having the wrong trim level listed

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code

RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Does anyone have a ballpark guess at what the insurance will cost for the Model 3?
I think it would be a safe guess to assume the same as a BMW 3 series. That's the target market for the car after all.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I think it would be a safe guess to assume the same as a BMW 3 series. That's the target market for the car after all.
Makes sense, though in countries where insurance is strongly dependent on horsepower, would expect maybe a small premium - initially - for Model ≡, no?
It's weird. If I run a quote for a Model S my insurance drops 10 bucks a month compared to my Sonata.
@Brian_North , either performance is not a factor in this fee calculation or you must have a darn fast Sonata!! ;)

MichelT3

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
In my country insurance premium is based on the new-price or taxation value of the car, number of yearly km, region of the country, age of the driver, driving history (number of years without accidents). Not on horsepower.

Uricasha

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Interesting question. I just got a couple quotes from my insurance broker. Going to a BMW 3 series from a 2007 Scion TC increases my monthly cost by $20. A lot less than expected. Also, upgrading to a Model S is only $25 more than my current POS.... :)