1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Quick enhanced auto pilot question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Matt Maxwell, Oct 4, 2017.

More threads by Matt Maxwell
  1. Matt Maxwell

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Santa Maria, ca
    Country
    Can the $5k enhanced auto pilot function be added at a later date like the full self driving capability? Or if you want your car to have full self driving when that is eventually released, do you need to buy the enhanced auto pilot function NOW?

Also, can anyone speak to the cost of repair for the model 3? Is it generally more expensive to repair a Tesla? Not that I plan on getting in an accident, but if I did, can I expect to be charged more with the repair company or insurance premiums?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      South Florida
      Tesla Owner:
      Reservation
      Country
      Hi Matt, welcome to forum. For future reference you can search and find answers to questions like this; but here it goes...

1. Enhanced Auto Pilot (EAP) and Full Self Drive (FSD) can be added later. Some facts about it. When buying the car, EAP $5k and FSD is $3k. To get FSD, you must get EAP. After you take delivery you can add EAP for $6k, just FSD for $4k (if you already had EAP), or both EAP and FSR for $10k. Basically each carries with it a $1k premium after delivery to be added later.
      2. No one can speak to the cost of repair as no one has had to repair a Model 3. It's hard to compare with Model S/X as there are far fewer parts and the car is more simplified.
      3. On the insurance side, I just quoted moving from a $33k 2015 Hyundai Sonata to a $51k Model 3 and my insurance premium goes up from $110/month to $115/month all other things remaining equal.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Enginerd

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Greensboro, NC
        Country
        EAP & FSD are both software unlocked features. All the hardware is built into your car regardless of your selection. FSD is a prerequisite for EAP, but EAP doesn't need FSD.

• Matt Maxwell

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Santa Maria, ca
        Country
        I was thinking I read somewhere that there are 4 cameras without EAP/FSD, but 8 WITH. So I assume they just add 4 cameras and update the software?

• garsh

Dis Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Pittsburgh PA
        Country
        Nope, all cameras are included with every car. It's just that some of those cameras will simply never be used if you don't purchase EAP or FSD.

• Agree Agree x 3