Quicksilver has Arrived!!!

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by Quicksilver, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    The journey begins….

Reflecting on my experience as a new Tesla Model 3 owner, it’s been 2 years, 24 days, 21 hours, and 30 minutes give or take a few seconds…from day 1 in-store reservation to delivery. But who’s counting!!

Even before Tesla was even on my mind, I started this journey toward a more sustainable transport back in 2004 when I sold my mid-engine, 2-seater MR2 and purchased a brand new second generation Prius. I know, it was a hard decision but the MR2 was not an ideal family car – so much fun I had in that MR2 though. The Prius started me down the path of wanting more “electric only” driving (I remember driving down my neighborhood streets very slowly so I could drive on “electric only” mode in that Prius – you can actually do it but as soon as you want to go a little faster, the ICE would kick in) so I eventually gave my dad the Prius and I moved on to a Volt, which as some would say – once you experience driving electric (even with short range) you will not want to go back to ICE. I tell you what, I was hooked (I am still very disappointed at Toyota for not having a good plug-in hybrid or EV to this day – I would have purchased one of their products if they existed – in my opinion, the Plug-In Prius is a poor excuse for a plug-in hybrid).

After a few years with the Volt, I needed more “electric only” range so I went with a leased i3 BEV (Tesla Model S was way out of my budget and I could not stomach the design of the Leaf – sorry Leaf owners, I guess you grow to love their looks over time). For the i3, I did not want one with a range extender because I wanted to cut out gas altogether. I loved driving the i3 but the limited range was a major setback in my opinion so my eyes were transfixed on the “affordable” Tesla Model 3. Since the day the Model 3 was a rumor, my dream car was going to be the Model 3 – a used model S could have been an alternative but the Model 3 was always number one in my mind. I can tell you that as we all on this forum were nearing the end of the two year wait, I was very closed to purchasing a CPO S and even entertained the idea of buying a used Model 3 from someone on the east coast. I even test drove the new Leaf, Bolt and even some ICE cars (Audi, BMW) leading up to my invite. I have to give credit to my wife for constantly telling me that I should not buy anything else since I’ve waited this long. Stay the course she would say – especially those dark days up until my invite. Funny thing is with all the anxiety and angst posted on this forum, it didn’t help my wait…I am looking at you @ummgood! :D:D Haha!

Well, today, April 25, 2018 with overcast skies blanketing the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, there is a Silver lining waiting for me. My dream car has come home! Today is D-Day!

My good friend Mike, who is also a car enthusiast, stopped by my home and picked me up at Noon so we could go have nice leisurely lunch. After lunch (a Thai place close to the Tesla service center) we were ready to pick up my Model 3 at 2PM. My wife was to pick our son up from school so neither she nor my son could make it to delivery; however, they were as eager as I was to bring home Quicksilver. What’s amazing is from my invite to delivery, it was only a scant 15 days!! – I would have never thought that this was possible! I was thinking a minimum of 3 weeks and probably more like 6 weeks (given the famous Elon timeline). Things moved so quickly in a single week starting on April 10th that my head was spinning from drunken happiness.

Mike and I arrived 30 minutes ahead of schedule. We walked into the building and was immediately greeted by one of the service staff. I didn’t have to wait like @ummgood…sorry you had to wait for a while. The service staff asked if we are in for service and I said no, we are picking up a Model 3. She immediately walked over to the other side of the delivery room and look for the DS to help us. As I glanced through the delivery room, there was Quicksilver, just sitting there, stunningly beautiful! I let out an audible Wow! There was one other Model 3 taking delivery at the same time and it one of those Charcoal Gray Color...you know…the MSM color. Haha! There was no comparison between the two colors. In real life, the Silver is stunningly beautiful. I think the MSM actually looks better in photos but I believe that the Silver looks better in real life. After a few minutes, my DS walked across the delivery room and greeted us, her name was Cynthia and she was awesome throughout the entire process. She did a group orientation and split up to sync the other customer’s phone, setup Bluetooth, etc…then she came back to me to do the same setup. Interestingly, we were the only two customers picking up at the 2PM appointment and I asked how come not more customers were picking up today. Cynthia said that because of the predicted rain storm, folks wanted to wait for later this week to pick up. So, with only two appointment this afternoon, Mike and I had a full 1 hour and 40 minutes in the delivery room, going through the checklist in a very detailed way. My Model 3 was amazingly free of any major issues except for four items and Cynthia wrote it down for me as a due bill and said I can schedule services any time I am ready: 1) The front headlight, passenger side, sticks up above the fender portion surrounding it a little over 1/16 of an inch more than the driver side head lights. 2) In an area about 1” square on the C-pillar, it looks like a little paint was missing under the clear coat. It’s hard to tell unless you look at it from a certain angle. 3) Rear passenger side molding around the window seal puckers up about 1/4 of an inch. 4) Passenger side exterior mirror triangle piece that is attached to the car body sticks out about 1/16 of an inch. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the quality of my Model 3. Not a single scratch or ding or any blemish. My friend Mike is an auditor and he looks at things carefully and he was also very impressed. We both also got on our knees to look under the car to make sure no damage during transportation and there were none.

In the end, I am just blown away and overjoyed by the car’s quality, design and all the features such as the coat hooks in the passenger compartment, etc…all of which you all know very well by now. Even after reading many posts on here, you just can’t put words down to describe what an awesome experience it is to pick up your Model 3 and then drive it home (it did rain when I drove home but the car, as some have already said, is so planted it feels like I am driving on rails – I had complete confidence as I drove through the wet roads). Since it rained on my drive home, as soon as I got it into my garage…out comes my towels to wipe Quicksilver down and she looked stunning even after driving in the rain.

For all of you who are still waiting for an invite, a VIN or a delivery date, keep the faith and stay the course. You will love your Model 3. I think all of us here are irrational and crazy at times – ok, maybe most of the time – when it comes to this car, but I think most, if not all of us, believes in a better future and I am very happy to be a part of the change that is happening and also be part of this great online community.

I think I’ll sleep good tonight…Good night everyone!

P.S. My Model 3 is a belated March birthday present and also my retirement gift – yes, retirement – after twenty years with one organization that I love but I am turning the page to a new adventure in the consulting world.

IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 13
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 7
  2. ummgood

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Congrats! So I had a little anxiety and angst. I did encourage you to not go CPO so that makes up for all my craziness.

Anyway yours looks almost as beautiful as mine! The silver is truly amazing in person. Every person who sees mine is amazed by how good it looks. I had 4 reservation holders check out mine today. I am the first Model 3 at my company. Two have just been invited last week and two haven’t been yet.

• Like Like x 2
  3. arkysolar

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    My wife and I just sold out 2012 Prius Plugin before soon taking delivery of our Model 3. As absurd as the 12 miles battery range was it sure made for a very economical traveling car.

Like you been looking forward to having A lot more electric range.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Ha! You are correct...you did try to talk me out of a CPO.

I beg to differ, I think my 3 looks a little better than yours :D:D:D

Ok, I am going to try and catch some Zzzzz now...exhausted. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I’m very happy for you!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. NJturtlePower

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Congrats @Quicksilver !!! Don't forget to add a picture or two in our Silver Metallic fan club thread. :) Enjoy the ride!!!

7. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks @SoFlaModel3, you've been a great help and support! I still can't believe I have a Model 3 in my garage!! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Yes, indeed @NJturtlePower ! I woke up this morning thinking it was a dream and then it hit me...Oh Cr@p! there is a Model 3 in my garage! :D More pics to come...just recuperating from emotional exhaustion from yesterday.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Awright...here are some beauty shots... Ok you Texas gals and guys, before you break out those Aggie jokes, I'll say that I've heard them all! So shush! :D:D:D super nice day today after the cold front moved through yesterday. Can you tell that the car is somewhat dirty from rain? Pics are of her in my driveway...can't still register that she is in my driveway...and in front of the house taking in the great weather. Check out my Tolltag...Gig'em Aggies!
    IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 8
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ummgood

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Wow nice photos. I'll say a couple things. While my car is slightly nicer than yours your fence is definitely nicer than mine. Since you have the american flag on your car you need to get personalized plates that say "Merica" on them.

Oh and are you the first Aggie to drive a car other than a lifted 4x4 Dodge ram?

Oh and I have a coworker that has a bumper sticker that says "Honk if I'm an Aggie"

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    tOO fUNNY @ummgood ! I am a more "physticated" Aggie so I drive a Tesla. :D

I do like your suggestion on "Merica" but here is one of the plates I am considering... ;)

That fence is built for the crazy straight line wind we have here in north Texas and Thanks!

upload_2018-4-26_12-55-57.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #12 LUXMAN, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    That is beautiful!!!! Even if it isn't RED! :p
    I cant wait to see it with the tint !

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. LUXMAN

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    On that rubber trim. you may wanna use a hair dryer and heat it up a little and then tape it down and see if is stays down after it cools.

14. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I remember your post on your trim piece so yes, great idea. I'll try it! Thanks!

15. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Yes, Red is still very tempting...in the Chinese tradition, Red is a lucky color...;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  16. ummgood

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I absolutely love the red but after having the silver for 2 days I can say the temptation is gone. Silver is really nice and beautiful. Plus it looks clean all the time.

17. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Agreed. I do love the Silver! I also think the chrome accents play off the Silver nicely. I would never black out the chrome on a Silver car.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Well, @Quicksilver , heartfelt congrats on the delivery of Quicksilver!! (That does sound kinda funny now, you may want consider a new Avatar, like ‘SuperHappyAggie’?! :D

Anyways, truly happy for you you stayed the course indeed, listening to your wife and all your good friends at M3OC!

I wish you miles and miles of pleasurable rides! And, ok, color is a personal thing so it’s Silver metallic for you, that’s all cool... yet I don’t wanna year no more nonsense about this ‘charcoal grey’ thing, ok...?! :rolleyes:;)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #19 Quicksilver, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    ;)
    Haha! Yes sir, I won’t mention charcoal grey metallic anymore. :p And thank you and all on this forum for the great support and shared enthusiasm! You all helped me stay the course along with my wife. Looking forward to many fun miles in Quicksilver...and as for the name, I think I’ll stick with Quicksilver ;) You recalled that I placed a deadline of end of April to get the 3 and lo and behold Tesla came through with 5 days to spare! :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. GDN

GDN
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Congrats @Quicksilver, very sharp. Dishing on the MSM crowd though, just stoking that fire. I'd say that my second choice was Red, but it just is too many different colors in different light. Silver might have been a 3rd in my choice.

I knew that wait would be worth it. You were on the brink a few times. Not too bad on the 4 items you found, easily enough taken care of I'm sure. The paint might be the main concern, but I'm sure they'll work on that as well. I'm reading stories of much worse.

Didn't waste anytime to get it decorated out, from the Aggie Tolltag to the TX and the US flag emblems. Very nice touches. I've got OU on my truck, but the M3 will remain untouched of any emblems and decals. I still have the 28 year old rectangular plastic toll tag. It might be time to replace it, but I hate the default Orange tag you get these days and just don't want to pay them anymore for a special tag, so plastic I guess it will be.

I'll be looking for you, you've got a twin in Richardson, so will be looking for you both.

• Like Like x 1