1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Reaction to first delivered Model 3 in San Diego!

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ng0, Oct 5, 2017.

Tags:
More threads by ng0
  1. ng0

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Diego
    Country
    #1 ng0, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    So I can't even tell you how excited I am. After over a year and a half of waiting to see this amazing car, it happened! I had the amazing opportunity to see and play around with the first delivered Model 3 in San Diego! The owner and his wife were the nicest people. A bunch of us were there climbing all around the car and playing with all the features. My first reaction.....

WOW!

[​IMG]

I mean, it's a little surreal to put so much thought into something that you've never seen and then to actually see it in person. On the outside. Beautiful! Everything looks perfect. He did mention that the car was basically hand made at this point, so I'm sure they put a lot of attention to detail. His wife chose midnight silver with the aero rims and wow, it just really fits together. Midnight silver was one of my top choices, so I was excited to see it. The aero rims actually look pretty nice. Pictures really don't do it justice. I'm still unsure about what my choice will be, but it's definitely a tough decision. He did mention he had taken off the aero cover once, but they decided they'd rather have better range.

Then I got to sit inside... holy crap! That full glass roof. It's amazing! Even at night (it was 9:30), it still felt soooo open. It felt roomy. Then I looked around at the interior. I was a little nervous about this honestly. How would it compare to my wife's BMW? Would it feel a little cheap? The pictures of the steering wheel in all the pictures always looked a little cheap looking to me for some reason. In person, again wow. It feels like a premium car and even nicer than the BMW. Of course everyone knows how minimalist it is inside, but touching the steering wheel just felt so nice. The seats were super comfortable and felt amazing. Everything felt so sleek and to me felt worthy of the premium cost.

UPDATE 1: Media/steering wheel controls: One of the big questions I've had over the last few months was regarding the media controls. As everyone on this forum knows, the software is absolutely not complete. The owner said he's regularly getting updates and was told to expect bluetooth media and other missing features in October. The screen controls are SUPER responsive. Some of the videos made it seem like it wasn't responsive and took a couple presses sometimes. I didn't notice that at all. The media controls shifted around super fast. Everything flowed well. Took a little getting used to where everything was, but it definitely was intuitive.

I was also really curious about the steering wheel controls. Obviously everyone here already knows that they can control the steering wheel position and side mirrors based on context. I couldn't seem to figure out if they could control A/C positioning as well. I assume that it doesn't. When controlling media, it's pretty intuitive, though I wish there were some more functions. Left scroll wheel seems to be the only one that controls media right now. As others have said, it scrolls up and down, clicks left and right and you can press it down.

From what I can tell (and I'm by no means an expert), scrolling up and down controlled volume, clicking right would skip to the next song (on slacker radio). Clicking right and left didn't seem to do much for tune-in radio channels. Depressing the whole wheel paused the music. I was disappointed to see that there didn't seem to be any controls to jump between media types (slacker to tune-in and back... potentially FM in the future). Really hoping that functionality gets added later. I would prefer if depressing the wheel would do the switch instead of a pause. Also, I didn't see any way to jump to a different channel without touching the screen. I would assume this is a must have when they finish the software. If not, that's gonna be a major downfall for me.

Sorry I didn't take a video of it! I got so caught up with my own excitement that I didn't take many pictures/video.

Here's a shot of the charging screen:
    [​IMG]

UPDATE 2: I got his ok to post some pictures

UPDATE 3: Trunk Space: So what can I say that hasn't already been said 20 different ways in the other threads? There's a lot of space! A surprising amount of space. And then lifting up that opening in the back to see that HUGE storage area, so cool! One of the guys put his golf clubs in the back and though he's not confident that you'd be able to fit 4 sets in the trunk like others were reporting, I'm sure at least 2 or 3 would fit in there with no issue. Of course, you're all aware that the seats fold down flat. I can imagine that would allow for a significant amount of stuff to be transported!

There was quite a bit of discussion about people potentially camping in the back. I'm not sure if this has been addressed by anyone else, but I wanted to put this question to rest (quite literally). So one of the great guys that attended the meetup went ahead and laid down flat in the back! I believe he said he was 6'3"!! Yes his head hangs over the folded down backseats a little, but if you put a mattress pad back there, I have no doubt a couple really tall people could sleep back there comfortably. Also the front seats were pushed very far back and he still fit. Got the ok to post his pic! :) Sure was a trooper to climb in back there!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's one of him climbing out of the trunk. As you can see there's the charging cable and in the corner he has a flat tire repair kit. Remember, there's no spare tire on this thing, so good to be prepared!
    [​IMG]

And here's a pic of the rear of the car... and get a better glimpse of the aero tires. They match really well with the midnight silver!
    [​IMG]

UPDATE 4: Frunk: The frunk is honestly... well kinda weird. I like the idea of having the extra storage space, but it's just sooooo small! LoL. I've seen pictures of it, but it seemed even smaller in person. It was kinda funny actually. Almost makes me wonder... what's the point? I guess it's great to have a few small items (charging cable, etc) in it and not fill up your trunk with a bunch of junk. Also might be able to throw in a backpack or two. Not amazing, but at least it makes use of the extra space. :)

UPDATE 5: Headlights: Holy hell they're bright! It was kinda funny, while we were there, the car finished charging, so the owner unplugged it and the headlights immediately turned on. Kinda surprised everyone. :) When you turn on the brights, it lit up everything!

UPDATE 6: Overall, as you can tell I'm super excited about the car. In person it's so much better! Tesla did a great job on it. I'm excited about the electric range, the technology and most of all just how ridiculously sleek the car is. My delivery date just can't come soon enough!

• Like x 23
    • Winner x 12
    • Love it! x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
      Staff Member Founder
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Aurora,Ontario
      Tesla Owner:
      Reservation
      Country
      Glad you had a chance to experience it in real life!! It is so much better in person than in pictures :) Tesla has real winner here, they just need to finish up the software (it's not finished yet, Autopilot was just pushed out to them over the last day or so) and get them into customer's hands.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • ng0

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        San Diego
        Country
        Absolutely! I so agree. I was excited about the car, but a little concerned about what you get for the high cost. That concern quickly faded. :)

Oh, I so I have a correction about my previous posts about autopilot. I spoke to the owner about that. He previously told me the update was pushed out to activate autopilot. I'm still not clear on it, but as I understand it now, the autopilot actually activated automatically when they hit 600 miles (it needs to calibrate). A few days ago he hit that number and he was able to use it. He said it was really great but a little scary. :)

• Like Like x 4
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
          Staff Member Founder
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Aurora,Ontario
          Tesla Owner:
          Reservation
          Country
          About AP, I can say the car I had access to had over 700 miles and AP was definitely not available yet. An update went out last night I'm told that activates it

• Informative Informative x 4
          • Like Like x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • ng0

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            San Diego
            Country
            Ok, he did say that he got an update a couple nights ago, but I wasn't clear if that's what activated it or that he hit 600 miles. Either way, I'm glad it's activated now!

• TroyH

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Ontario
            Country
            any comment on the leg room in the front and/or rear?

• Like Like x 1
            • ng0

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              San Diego
              Country
              There was actually a surprising amount for a relatively small car! One of the guys that came was 6'3" or so, and he was super comfortable in both the front and back seats. He's actually currently a Model S owner (one of the original ones) and it shocked me when he said he likes the Model 3 so much better!

• Like Like x 5
              • Informative Informative x 2
              • Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Kentucky
                Tesla Owner:
                Reservation
                Country
                @ng0,

As if I wasn’t excited enough already!!! Love your post and it really has me even more hyped up now! I can relate with your comment: “Excited about the car, but really concerned about what you get for the high cost”. I’m glad your concern quickly faded after seeing it in person and your sheer excitement and being so overwhelmed by the quality and everything about the car speaks volumes.
                Thanks again for your input and excitement! Don’t hesitate to add more if you remember other qualities you haven’t mentioned, whether it be tech, design, impressions.....etc.

Ski

• Like Like x 5
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
                  Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  South Florida
                  Tesla Owner:
                  Reservation
                  Country
                  I can't take it anymore -- I need this car!!! :)

• Like Like x 6
                  • Agree Agree x 5
                  • Funny Funny x 4
                  • zkmusa

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                    Dallas, TX
                    Country
                    Thank you for posting your first thoughts! Looking forward to reading more.

• Like Like x 4
                    • ng0

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                      San Diego
                      Country
                      No problem. I'll definitely have more to come! I'll keep posting them as updates on the original post. I just added a pic of the car. More terrible pics to come :)

• Like Like x 5
                      • Chris Hardesty

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                        Chicago, IL
                        Country
                        I gotta stop reading all the positive things about this car! It's making the wait so much harder! Oh and to make matters worse a local tesla rep called me today....after she said "Hi this is Sara from Tesla" I thought for a moment she was about to tell me something about my reservation or something lol. My heart skipped a beat briefly before she continued on to offer that I come in to test drive a model S.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                          Kentucky
                          Tesla Owner:
                          Reservation
                          Country
                          #13 Skione65, Oct 5, 2017
                          Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
                          @ng0,
                          Can you attach a “Thumbnail” of the photo to your OP? For some reason when I click on your link it says I’m “not authorized” to view this album? Maybe @TrevP, @MelindaV can help! Need to see my Midnight Silver Metallic!:)

Update: Thank You for Fixing the Photo! LOVE it!

Ski

• Agree Agree x 3
                          • ng0

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                            San Diego
                            Country
                            Sorry for some reason I can't seem to figure out how to open permissions on it from my phone. Will check when I get back to the computer

• Like Like x 1
                            • Derik

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                              Inland Empire, California
                              Tesla Owner:
                              Reservation
                              Country
                              Guess I'm going to have to keep an eye open for it around here now.
                              Next time.. let us know where it is so we all can come out and drool over it. (of course without getting any of said drool in or on the car)

• Agree Agree x 1
                              • ng0

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                                San Diego
                                Country
                                I definitely will! It was a last minute thing. He was posting on the official Tesla forum and we all just showed up at the supercharging station. I wasn't even sure he was legit at first, so I'm glad it all worked out! He said he'd be interested in planning another meetup during the day next time, so I'll keep you San Diego peeps here in the loop.

• Like Like x 1
                                • Derik

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                                  Inland Empire, California
                                  Tesla Owner:
                                  Reservation
                                  Country
                                  No permissions here either. Help a building 7 co-worker out. I accept IM or e-mail.

• ng0

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                                  San Diego
                                  Country
                                  I just went back to my computer and still can't seem to figure out how why you can't see the picture. When I select "Upload a File", it always fails on me. (Probably cause on my work network). Here's a link to it, let me know if you still have a problem seeing it. https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GNzljUS.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                                  • Mjp462

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                                    Carlsbad, CA
                                    Country
                                    I'm in North County and would LOVES to meetup, next time!

• Like Like x 2
                                    • Agree Agree x 1
                                    • ng0

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                                      San Diego
                                      Country
                                      Will definitely let you know! Hopefully he'll be available soon!

Added another update about trunk/frunk space