1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Ready to Take Delivery, Nema 14-50 installed!

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by ATLm3, Jul 27, 2017.

More threads by ATLm3
  1. ATLm3

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Atlanta
    Hey guys,

With the reveal tomorrow, how many of you have pulled the trigger and gotten your garages/houses/etc. wired up to charge your Model 3? Since there is a lot of old data pricing out there, how much was your install and where are you in the world? For a lot of people (myself included) this will be their first EV and knowing how much to budget for an outlet install is sometimes a black hole.

Outlet type: Nema 14-50
    Distance of wire ran: 50ft
    Installer: TE Certified Electricians
    Tesla recommended installer?: Yes
    Cost: $ 966

If you are in the Atlanta area I would highly suggest TE certified electricians. Tesla supports them and talking with the electrician he does about 4 outlets or wall connectors a week. He walked me through the whole process, gave quotes on what the Nema outlet vs. the wall connector would cost, and had all of the equipment with him to do the job right then and there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Michael Benson

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Wadsworth, OH
      Country
      There is already a sticky thread for home charging below in the general forums under charging.

I did the same as you and am ready for my Model 3. But, I also purchased a Tesla WC and plugged it into the 220V socket.

Michael

• SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      South Florida
      Tesla Owner:
      No
      Country
      Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping mine comes in closer to the $500-750 range.

My plan was to install the plug after I place the order.

I know there is nothing stopping me from pulling the trigger, but it just felt like an activity to keep me busy after placing he order :)

• MarkB

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Surrey, BC
      Country
      I figure I'm 14-18 months away from getting the TM3. But after turning it n my polluting VW TDI, I needed something and decided on Tesla training wheels, so got a used Leaf. Most used Leafs around here are imported auction bought, US lease returns. I figured that once I get the TM3, I'll better appreciate the range and the size!

I wanted to go with the Tesla HPWC, and use JDapter stubb ($400 USD) in the interim , but talked myself out of it. As far as EVSE's go, the Tesla HPWC is very reasonably priced!

What I ended up doing:
      • Having a Nema 14-50 installed in my garage (about 50 feet of wire required from panel across unfinished basement, then through wall to garage - right where I want the plug).
      • Going to swap out the plug for a 6-50, for the short term (cheaper than getting adapter).
      • Purchased and received a ChargePoint charger (that plugs into 6-50). I wanted a charger that was UL or CSA rated.
      • Eventually, IF I switch to the HPWC (and there will be no urgency too do so - might not have the amperage to make it worthwhile), I'll swap plug back to 14-50 (will already have the 4 wires), and use that to power the HPWC (replace the "hardwiring" with a plug), and hopefully sell the ChargePoint.
      Waiting to coordinate an actual installation date, but the electrician has already been here and my estimate (for the plug install) was about $600, including permit. Hopefully it'll be done next week.

Currently changing my Leaf at work (Level 2), and when I'm not working, I use 110 trickle charge (always a full charge by morning).

• Like Like x 1
      • garsh

Dis Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Pittsburgh PA
        Country
        I bought two NEMA 14-50 outlets.
        I still need to buy the wiring, boxes, conduit, and find some time to wire them up.

• SSonnentag

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Peeples Valley, Arizona, USA
        Country
        Welcome to the NEMA 14-50 club! :) I installed a 40A charger 2 years ago, knowing I'd need more than 16A of charging soon. Plus, I can plug in my 5th wheel if we get more company than we have room for inside the house and sleep a few more in the driveway. :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
        • 17.088 ^2

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Twin Cities, Minnesota
          Country
          Some day I'll post images of what and why I did what I did.

It's been a three year process, and is expected to continue into next year.
          * Two years ago: Upgrade electrical service from a pair of fused 60 Amp services to a pair of Square-D QO series 200 Amp circuit breaker panels.
          * Last year: Finish conduit run (trench #1) out to detached garage, to allow for future sub-panel there.
          * This year: Do trench #2 for conduits (Plural) out to new 8"x8" post on OPPOSITE side of driveway, as well as spare out to the front just-in-case, AND do 120v & ethernet pipes at same time (i.e.: Christmas lights, etc.).
          * Next year, or in the fall: Finish wiring Trench #2. (i.e.: Priority now is repairing the lawn and garden.)

17.088 ^2

• Like Like x 1