Reboot when removing USB flashdrive

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

pinkfloyd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2 week old Mod 3 with latest software rel.
I have formatted 64GB USB drive as FAT32 for dashcam

I am seeing frequent resets of the touchscreen display a) when trying to pull the USB drive out (when parked) and b) when I touch the dashcam icon on display to download current recording to flash drive (while driving).

Also anyone know how to read the files on a mac? See srceenshot below

Attachments

JasonF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those REC files are not "recording" - those are recovery files for bad sectors. You have a defective USB drive! It either needs reformatting (in FAT32 format with Master Boot Record partition) or replacing.

The mp4 file is a standard format and will play with Quicktime, VLC, Preview (I think?), or in most web browser windows.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The presence of .Rec files on their own doesn't necessarily mean the USB drive itself is bad, they can also be a side effect of the drive not being cleanly unmounted when the car shuts down.

That said, the fact that the whole touchscreen restarts is concerning, and trying a different USB drive would be a good test to determine whether the drive itself is causing the issue.