Rebooting the screen while driving

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Bailey

Country
Country
Some folks have wondered about this for a while now. Here’s the answer.

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m pretty sure the computer that runs the convenience systems (displays, climate, audio, etc) is a completely different computer than the one that actually operates the car (motors, stealing, autopilot, etc). Rebooting one has nothing to do with the other, and presumably the software the runs the actual car is rock solid and doesn’t need rebooting to resolve bugs like the convenience computer does.

Bernard

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla stated that the car has two separate computer systems, one that handles media/screen/sound and one that does everything else. So we have two levels of reboot: rebooting just the media/entertainment system, which evidently can be done while under way (not that anyone would really want to do that, I hope) and rebooting the much larger system responsible for everything, which can only be done in parked state. doors closed, foot on the brake. (You can also reboot everything by turning the car off on the screen menu.)

Joe3+1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bernard you are correct on the computers. This is why you can reboot the "Display\Convenience" system without issue while driving. Earlier on in the firmware versions (I have 2xxx vin) there were issues display related and others that required reboot. Since the late teen and twenty versions I have only had to reboot once or twice.

android04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've reset my MCU a few times while driving. Had phantom touches in the screen that would mess up the podcasts I was listening to and didn't want to pull over to reset. So I set my cruise control and rebooted.

Phantom touched have happened a few times in the 8000 miles I've driven and rebooting fixed them.

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla stated that the car has two separate computer systems, one that handles media/screen/sound and one that does everything else. So we have two levels of reboot: rebooting just the media/entertainment system, which evidently can be done while under way (not that anyone would really want to do that, I hope) and rebooting the much larger system responsible for everything, which can only be done in parked state. doors closed, foot on the brake. (You can also reboot everything by turning the car off on the screen menu.)
I kinda think that holding the brake pedal has no effect during reboot, and that to do a more full reboot you needed to use the Power Off feature in the UI (Controls > Safety & Security > Vehicle Power > Power Off).

edittman1

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
My display keeps rebooting on its own. Sometimes it will do it 3 times in 5 minutes, other times I go an hour of driving and it does nothing. Not making sense, not sure what to do?

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My display keeps rebooting on its own. Sometimes it will do it 3 times in 5 minutes, other times I go an hour of driving and it does nothing. Not making sense, not sure what to do?
I would call Tesla roadside and ask if they think reloading the last update would help. Or maybe they can see error codes that are being thrown in the logs.

edittman1

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
How do I call Tesla roadside???

This is unbelievable. Happens so much. I am absolutely blown away by this and it’s ruining my Tesla experience. For an $80k car I feel like I am getting a “software lemon”. Drives great. Looks great. Software is absolutely TRASH.

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How do I call Tesla roadside???

This is unbelievable. Happens so much. I am absolutely blown away by this and it’s ruining my Tesla experience. For an $80k car I feel like I am getting a “software lemon”. Drives great. Looks great. Software is absolutely TRASH.
They gave you a little card, which you probably put in your glove box.

1-877-798-3752

The software is pretty awesome.

Something is wrong with your car. Sounds like maybe a loose connector, or a crimp-short.

Tesla should be able to trace the fault, perhaps remotely.

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
They gave you a little card, which you probably put in your glove box.
Something is wrong with your car. Sounds like maybe a loose connector, or a crimp-short.

Tesla should be able to trace the fault, perhaps remotely.
I agree something is wrong . I have never had my MCU restart on me randomly. I'd call service right away. I'm going to guess you will end up with a new MCU.