recognize different driver upon entry

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife is small and if I try to get into the car after she has driven it the seat and steering wheel are in her positions, too small for me to enter. How do I get the car to recognize my settings before I get in?

Tech support told me the car stays on the last profile until you change the driver profile on the screen….after you get in.

My Honda sets the steering wheel and seat when it recognizes the key fob, this seems to be an easy fix.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A lot of us agree and we hope that Tesla will add this in an upcoming release. Tie the driver profile to a specific "Key" or "phone".

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Model S already does this with the FOB so I would think they could transition that over to the Model 3.

It's a pretty neat functionality, I still enjoy the seat moving for me when we take my wife's car anywhere and I'm going to drive.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
at least Tesla keep adding things to the list saved by driver profile.
Didn't we get climate control settings at 21.9 ? Not sure if it was just temp or if it included vent position.

Derik

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife is small and if I try to get into the car after she has driven it the seat and steering wheel are in her positions, too small for me to enter. How do I get the car to recognize my settings before I get in?

Tech support told me the car stays on the last profile until you change the driver profile on the screen….after you get in.

My Honda sets the steering wheel and seat when it recognizes the key fob, this seems to be an easy fix.

Have you tried to use the easy entry settings? Moves the seat to a specific position when you enter park. Then it'll move back when you put your foot on the brake.

I only have 1 driver entry set up, but it would seem that it should go to whatever key is detected drivers profile when you hit the brake. So that would set you up for your position / her position / and have the seat back where it's easy for either of you to get in an out of the car.

Ed Woodrick

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll agree, set the Easy Entry to a neutral position that makes it easy to get into and out of the car. Then user profiles as needed.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Derik,

She does not like easy entry, but this is how it works when it is used.

Assume driver 1 is the current settings and they have easy entry turned on, when they switch into park the seat and steering wheel move to the easy entry position. Now driver 2 wants to drive, they get into the car and nothing moves until they touch the brake pedal, the positions move to the last driver, (driver 1) position. touching the driver 2 on the screen moves the positions to comfortable. The next time driver 1 is in the car the positions need to be manually switched again.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Derik,

She does not like easy entry, but this is how it works when it is used.

Assume driver 1 is the current settings and they have easy entry turned on, when they switch into park the seat and steering wheel move to the easy entry position. Now driver 2 wants to drive, they get into the car and nothing moves until they touch the brake pedal, the positions move to the last driver, (driver 1) position. touching the driver 2 on the screen moves the positions to comfortable. The next time driver 1 is in the car the positions need to be manually switched again.
This is true, but I forgot about easy entry. If you will set it so the wheel is up and the seat is back at least you can get in next time after she drives. I agree that it should select the profile based on key and it does not right now, but if she would at least use the option that is there then you can get in. It is a quick two taps to select a new profile once you are in the car. This is about as good as it gets until Tesla will tie the bluetooth to the profile.

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I too would love this feature to work. BUT, I think it's probably never going to happen for this one reason: what happens when 2 or more people who all have phone keys, and all have their blutooth active, try and get into the car at once? Which profile does it use?

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I too would love this feature to work. BUT, I think it's probably never going to happen for this one reason: what happens when 2 or more people who all have phone keys, and all have their blutooth active, try and get into the car at once? Which profile does it use?
It would have to be able to tell which phone is entering the drivers seat. I think it’s posisble, at least tech wise, as when I get in my wife’s S with my keyfob while she still has hers (and enters the passenger side), the car will switch to my profile... hmmm, though now that I think about it, I believe I had to be the first person opening the door/entering the vehicle.
Now I’m not sure... posting reply anyway lol

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In that case let it use the last profile it was using, assuming that persons phone key is one of the ones present. Not perfect but results in same thing as we have today. If that persons phone key isn’t present and 2 others are, see 2 below. Some other ideas for how to handle this.
  1. Voice activation. Just step in and it listens for 5 seconds. As you step in say your name (matched to profile). You could even have some fun and name your profile something like “authorization code 007” and have it immediately move into place for you. :cool:
  2. Set priority on Bluetooth list. Most cars have this. Still not perfect but if there’s a primary driver you can set that person to primary if both phones are present.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This should be super simple. The blue tooth receiver that detects the phone from the drivers door should set the profile. The drivers side door receiver isn't detecting phones on both sides of the car.

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But how does that work when bluetooth has a 30 foot range? All passengers standing near any door, or sitting in any seat with a phone key would be in range of the bluetooth. How does it know which person is in the drivers seat?

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But how does that work when bluetooth has a 30 foot range? All passengers standing near any door, or sitting in any seat with a phone key would be in range of the bluetooth. How does it know which person is in the drivers seat?
Not an expert here, but I don't think these receivers are detecting 30 foot ranges, at least not for the unlock part. They have different types. I carry my phone in my back pocket and when I approach the car it doesn't always detect immediately, but if I turn just a bit it recognizes the phone. If I have the phone in my hand and approach the car it never fails. I attribute this to the phone not being close enough to the door and the signal having to traverse my bigger than it should be body. These are closer range detectors for unlocking. I can't explain the technology, but I've observed how it behaves and works. I open the bluetooth settings on my phone in the house and see the 4 receivers connected, but I can not walk up to the car and open the door and unlock while leavnig the phone in the house. It has to be on me and much closer to the car for it to truly unlock. They know and can determine which phone is on the drivers side of the car just through strength monitoring of the signal etc. I definitely think it is possible and predict we'll see setting the profile with the phone, I just don't know why they haven't done it.

Bigriver

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I too wish it had this, but I do not care if it gets it wrong when there are 2 people who enter with a phone key. Isn’t this also a potential glitch on any car with profiles linked to the key? I believe my other cars assume whoever gets there first is the driver. And when that’s wrong, we manually reach over and change it. It’s still an improvement over no linkage.

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I still have my doubts it will work with multiple phones near the car/in the car. We shall see. I hope it does, because I really want that feature to work!

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I certainly want this very much as my wife and I switch off the 3 daily. Our seat positions are close enough not to notice, it's usually about five minutes up the road when my butt realizes it's burning because of the infernal heated seats....

When both are in the car, I agree it is a complication, but it's no excuse not to implement it at all. Quite simply switch to the profile of the first phone connected. We will very quickly learn to walk out to the car separately!
It seems like a pretty obvious feature that I'm confident Tesla will implement when they get the opportunity "soon."

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This could easily be solved by just adding the option in the mobile app. Make it part of the home screen so that when you open the app, you don’t need to click into something like Controls, rather just have a toggle sitting there ready to go. Click it, open the door and sit in your personal settings.

I’d be happy with this addition, and seems easy considering they send people to the moon and stuff.