Recommended Electricians for Charger Installation

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Tony_YYZ, Apr 10, 2017.

More threads by Tony_YYZ
  1. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

Country
    #1 Tony_YYZ, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Hi All,

Just wondering if we could get a list going of Electricians in various part of Canada that users have used to get their HPWC, NEMA 14-50, Juicebox, etc installed at reasonable rates. I have read a lot of stories about customers being price gouged once they hear you are installing a charger for a Tesla.

Now that Model 3 is on the horizon and to help any new S & X owners it would be good to get some great contacts listed and offer them business if they are charging fair prices for quality work. I have 200a mp service to my house and would like to get a sub panel installed in the garage for a future charger or two once I order my EV of choice.
    Providing that is the most reasonable course of action rather than just running a single line from the breaker panel to the garage.

If you have had any experience you would like to share please list them below and keep the following format so that it's easier to parse through. Thanks!

Work Done:
    Results:
    Price Paid:
    (Do not have to post price if you are not comfortable)

2. William de la Cruz

Expand Collapse

Country
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area use a certified or non-certified Tesla electrician to install a HPWC?
    I see YouTube videos online of guys (like Now You Know) swapping out a charger or having an electrician come in to do it.

3. 3LECTRIC

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #3 3LECTRIC, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    You can find a list of Tesla recommended electricians in your area at https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/find-electrician

After getting quotes from Tesla recommended electricians and other electricians that said they specialized in EV charger installations, I went with Tesla recommended Signature Electric. They were very professional and worked with my property management to get the necessary approvals ready (I live in a townhouse with shared underground parking). I had my HPWC installed yesterday and the electrician was very professional and did a great job. The work is clean and tidy. Took about 5 hours with a quick break. I got a free in home consultation when I first contacted them. Out of the three Tesla recommended electricians that sent me quotes, they were the least expensive (just slightly). Overall, super pleased with their service and would recommend them.

Although a few hundred dollars more expensive than an electrician not listed on the Tesla website, it was great peace of mind to know that they were trained by Tesla and very familiar with the setup.

Electrician/Company: Signature Electric
    Work Done: Install Tesla Wall Connector (I purchased from Tesla Online Store)
    Results: I am ready for my Model 3!

IMG_6710.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. JohnMon

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks 3lectric, that was extremely helpful. I need someone that can come out before the job starts to look over the placement location.

• Like Like x 1
  5. William de la Cruz

Expand Collapse

Country
    How much did the install cost?
    I'm going to get the 24ft cable HPWC mounted outside my garage, within 5ft of the breaker panel.

6. Sandy

One obsession to the next
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    If you already have a 200 amp service and want the WC set to 48 amps this should be inexpensive. Less than $1k.

7. MisterMatt

Expand Collapse

Country
    My electrician (GTA East) has come back with an estimate of 1,260 + tax to hook up the HPWC. Of note, I do have 200A service but the panel was full so they need to remove/replace some existing breakers with tandem breakers to free up space. They will be wiring for 60amp service and the run is going from basement to outside house and then 40' run to the front corner of the house where the HPWC will be installed. Also of course includes ESA inspection/etc. Seems fair, but I want to see a break down of materials / labour before I finalize.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sandy

One obsession to the next
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Sounds good! And reasonable!

9. Cory_YXU

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country

Electrian/Company: Current Electric

Work Done: Upgrade to 200amp service, whole home surge protector, ran number 3 wire 85 feet to install Wall Connector. Includes ESA certification

Results: Great crew and did a fantastic job.

Price Paid: approximately $2000

• Like Like x 1
  10. TeslaCanuck

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Does this price include the wall charging unit? Or just the electrical work and install?

11. Cory_YXU

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Had to buy the Tesla Wall Connector separately from Tesla.

I had a few other quotes that ranged from $3200-3800 plus the wall connector.

Robert at Current Electric was a pleasure to deal with. Highest rated Google rating in London . Great service and reasonable prices.

12. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Had 3 quotes in Mississauga. All between 1400-1500. Already have 200 amp service and the run to the garage is fairly open. Went with Plugz who are coming Monday to do the instal as they were the quickest to give availability. Will let you know how it goes.

13. victor

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Did you talk to BracerEV? They're offering $850 installation with a maximum of 40 ft of wire.

https://bracerev.com/charger-installation/

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Nygma 51

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I used "The Electrical Works Limited". Wayne Lewis came to my house (in Brampton) and gave an estimate.
    I have a 100 Amp service and had a 60 Amp breaker installed (to provide the Max 48A to the Model 3). I have a gas stove and dryer.

Wayne did warn me that there was a possibility that the inspector would have a problem with the load. He suggested that I download my hourly electrical use over the past year (from my electricity provider) and I found that my peak use was well below the load max for the panel (even with the 48A charger).

The run from the panel to the garage was about 40 feet. Final price was $1370 after tax. The installation took about 4 hours and the electrician was very thorough. The inspector did his own calculation with the download file and confirmed that peak use was well below 100A. The install was certified.

I would highly recommend the company. Good experience all around (and since they did a site visit before giving the estimate I knew that there would be no surprises).

Now all I have to do is wait for the car to arrive (hopefully sooner than later).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bandit

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Had my HPWC install completed mere minutes ago. They ran cable from garage to panel in the basement and replaced some breakers with tandems to make room. I'm in Burlington, ON and used Calibre Electric. Paid a little over $1k and the guys did a terrific job (subjectively I guess, since the ESA inspector gets the last word!)

16. sean_white

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I finally had my install done early this week. I'm on 100A at max load, so I had a charge controller installed on a 50A breaker. The charge controller monitors the mains and will switch off the charger if the panel load goes above 80A.

I had Joey from Power it Up do the install and he did a great job. He has done a lot of these in Ottawa already. Also, his prices are very reasonable compared to other quotes I received for the same work.

17. 416m3

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Hey I had a local electrician install the charger for just over $1k, everyone else quoted me $1200-1300.

Mind you my job was pretty simple, just had to run a line from basement to garage and didn't need to add anything extra to my box. Glad he charged me a fair price. He's in Mississauga but I think he'll service from Burlington to Scarborough, I'm in Etobicoke.

If you want his contact, you can PM me.