Reducing fragmentation in prep for V9?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Milo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
In the months I've been watching over at Teslafi, I've seen a lot of fragmentation of software releases. Until now. As of today, almost 90% of cars are running on 32.x.

Wishful thinking on my part or does this suggest they are prepping for V9?

neps

Country
Country
newbie question. You say v9 - yet also say rightfully that the current software is 2018.32.2 3817dd...

are we on v8 now? where does it say that in the system? any idea how the two numbers relate?

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
newbie question. You say v9 - yet also say rightfully that the current software is 2018.32.2 3817dd...

are we on v8 now? where does it say that in the system? any idea how the two numbers relate?
If you click on the Tesla T in the car, it shows V8.1 for 2018.32.2. So we’re on V8.1 now.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In the months I've been watching over at Teslafi, I've seen a lot of fragmentation of software releases. Until now. As of today, almost 90% of cars are running on 32.x.

Wishful thinking on my part or does this suggest they are prepping for V9?
I kind of thought the same thing as fast as 32 hit many cars. I also find it interesting this is one of my least favorite releases. Nothing major or consistent but the worst release I’ve had for almost perfect consistency. All the prior were good for me. This one, 32.2 I could have done without. I do think they are prepping for 9 though. One of Elon’s tweet time frames said this was the week. Who will the (un) lucky winner be? I want it but there is a slight bit of hesitation.

SalisburySam

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

According to Tesla's software update page, https://www.tesla.com/software, we are now on software version 8.1 and have been since March 2017. Firmware updates such as 32.2 fall within that major update level and will continue to do so, presumably until v9 is released. The link above is a pretty good macro overview of how the software functionality has been enhanced since 2012. Note that all cars, S, X, 3, Roadster, may not have all functions.

Diamond.g

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
According to Tesla's software update page, https://www.tesla.com/software, we are now on software version 8.1 and have been since March 2017. Firmware updates such as 32.2 fall within that major update level and will continue to do so, presumably until v9 is released. The link above is a pretty good macro overview of how the software functionality has been enhanced since 2012. Note that all cars, S, X, 3, Roadster, may not have all functions.
Hmmm, supposedly 8.1 has Blind Spot Detection. I was under the impression that isn't true, am I wrong?

SalisburySam

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm, supposedly 8.1 has Blind Spot Detection. I was under the impression that isn't true, am I wrong?
First of all, congratulations on taking delivery 8/15! You gotta be thrilled!

I think Tesla hedges their bets a bit with disclaimers. In the case of software, the delivered functionality may not be available in every Tesla model. You are correct in that the Model 3 does not have blind spot monitoring, or at least mine doesn’t.

relidtm

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe they consider that the images the ultrasonic sensors show around the car?
I wouldn't trust that just used auto park for the 5th time 2nd curbrash . All the curbrash Ive gotten is from the auto park not being in perfect conditions.

I was going to get the wheel fixed now I'm going to wait pretty upset about it. I'll wait until someone else has no complaints.

relidtm

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Milo I have this theroy also about preloading I've been trying to log everything and see I had a 5+ GB download the other day so did a few others.

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wouldn't trust that just used auto park for the 5th time 2nd curbrash . All the curbrash Ive gotten is from the auto park not being in perfect conditions.

I was going to get the wheel fixed now I'm going to wait pretty upset about it. I'll wait until someone else has no complaints.
I’m sorry to hear that. I’m very nervous about that happening to my wheels so I try to watch auto park closely.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's been pushed to v9 per Elon... Model 3 does not currently have BSM but it will be a standard feature, not part of EAP.

Originally planned for v8.2

Equally excited for the Atari Games in v9 :)

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's been pushed to v9 per Elon... Model 3 does not currently have BSM but it will be a standard feature, not part of EAP.

Originally planned for v8.2

Equally excited for the Atari Games in v9 :)
You bring up a good point I was going to see if I could research more yesterday and didn't. There had been information about features being added to 8.2. Then out of the blue the next information started talking about v9. I have to assume at this point 8.2 won't ever happen and all of that was just rolled in to 9. Would be interesting to know what happened or changed that caused them to go ahead and make a leap to a new major revision number vs the 8.2

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You bring up a good point I was going to see if I could research more yesterday and didn't. There had been information about features being added to 8.2. Then out of the blue the next information started talking about v9. I have to assume at this point 8.2 won't ever happen and all of that was just rolled in to 9. Would be interesting to know what happened or changed that caused them to go ahead and make a leap to a new major revision number vs the 8.2
Might be why we have been seeing all these small updates week to week. I'm on #4 in like 6-weeks.

I think its more effective in the long run than trying to lump everything into big updates...here you get a few thousand of "beta testers' at a time, get feedback and data and move forward without having to rush a massive fix out if something isn't quite right.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@mods - wondering if you might take a look at the v9 threads. I think we've got a minimum of 3 if not 4 just on speculation of downloads alone. Maybe consolidate in to one?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@mods - wondering if you might take a look at the v9 threads. I think we've got a minimum of 3 if not 4 just on speculation of downloads alone. Maybe consolidate in to one?
This one is specifically about the mapping cars, so I was planning to leave it alone.
But I've moved your post to another v9 thread since it's not about mapping ;)

I can only remember this one other v9 thread.
If there's another one that you think should be merged, please include a link.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This one is specifically about the mapping cars, so I was planning to leave it alone.
But I've moved your post to another v9 thread since it's not about mapping ;)

I can only remember this one other v9 thread.
If there's another one that you think should be merged, please include a link.
No problem - just seem they were all on the same topic of v9, but do vary.

V9 incoming?
Reducing fragmentation in prep for V9?
Is Tesla secretly downloading V9 software before official release?
Mapping Cars deployed in prep for V9?