1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Repairing My Tesla Model S Has Been an Utter Nightmare -- and It's Mostly Tesla's Fault

Discussion in 'Tesla Discussions' started by garsh, Mar 8, 2017.

More threads by garsh
  1. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    From Motley Fool:
    Repairing My Tesla Model S Has Been an Utter Nightmare -- and It's Mostly Tesla's Fault

TLDR: the author's Model S was rear-ended fairly hard, resulting to damage to the rear hatch & quarter panels. The author has been waiting for his car to be repaired for over seven months and counting.

I know we're all Tesla fanboys here, but this is completely unacceptable. Tesla needs to make things right for buyers before it gets to this point. I understand that Tesla is a young car company that's struggling to keep from going bankrupt while trying to dramatically expand their production. So they don't have the production overhead to keep a large inventory of parts at every service center (including parts that have been changed/replaced in newer versions of the Model S). But when things get this bad, they need to take drastic actions to make it right for the buyer.

If Tesla really can't get the parts to fix this car soon, they should offer to replace it with a slightly newer, and slightly better-equipped CPO car, for free.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Steve C

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto
    Country

They certainly need to stock up on spare body parts. I would also be rather annoyed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. arnis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    near Tallinn
    Country
    I waited for 3 week for just 2 wheels to my Leaf. Which was a pain and definitely not acceptable
    as rims are extremely prone to damage. And Nissan had zero in stock for repairs.

Waiting for 2-3 months is not acceptable. 7 months is insolent.
    There are two ways to fix this unacceptable waiting period: have parts in stock or have
    Teslas to lend out until car has been fixed with NO time limit and no additional cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    @arnis , Tesla has since replied to this story. It sounds like this is a case of the body shop at fault, lying about it, and blaming Tesla for the delay. It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Tesla says it’s ‘actively working to improve service’ in body shop network, eliminating low performers
    Based on its investigation, the company determined that the shop “did not address this vehicle in a timely manner or in accordance with Tesla standards.” They claim that the shop had a backlog and simply couldn’t perform the repairs on Niu’s cars so they didn’t order all the replacement parts at once and instead, they placed the blame on Tesla.

The company says that they have 8 separate orders for Niu’s Model S placed between August 2016 and February 2017.

Tesla to ‘add 300 body shops to its network in the next few weeks’, says Tesla President
    “The body shop in the OP article did not begin repairs on the car for three months and then ordered more than 90 parts and took over seven months to repair the car. Neither of those are indicators of competence. To top it off, they blamed their performance on Tesla. We know from complaints that the body shop experience needs to get a lot better – and fast.”
    We are applying brute force to this immediately. We will have individuals on our team personally manage each car on behalf of our customers that are in 3rd party body shops.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. arnis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    near Tallinn
    Country
    Good and actually more probable scenario.
    Still, I would like to know how much time does it take for Tesla to send a bunch of spare parts like:
    2 airbags, 2 wheels, hood, F bumper, 2F fenders, radiator stack, radar, PDC sensors, all front kinetic energy absorbing metal structures.

If it takes 2 months for all parts to arrive it is still not good enough. Real data would be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    a wreck requiring that amount of parts, at least here in the US, likely would total the vehicle and parts timing would then not be an issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. arnis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    near Tallinn
    Country
    Just checked BMW 5-series prices for those metal structures (not painted):
    http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F10N/USA/528i-N20/browse/bodywork/wheelhouse_engine_support/
    You can see the prices down below.
    If you want to browse some more then fenders are here:
    http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F10N/USA/528i-N20/browse/bodywork/front_side_panel/
    Hood:
    http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F10N/USA/528i-N20/browse/bodywork/engine_hood_mounting_parts/

Pyrotechnical devices are deployed extremely often (even in scenarios they are not even needed) - deployed airbags doesn't mean vehicle must be scrapped. Neither few thousands in raw materials and few thousands for labor.

PS: how are the beams (part nr4, first link) called in US? They take the most of the frontal crash kinetic energy.

8. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I don't know what the technical names are, or the raw material costs, but do know the relatively minor amount of damage that it takes to total a modern day car. Most any front end damage that extends beyond the wheels on both sides is done. Same with rear end damage, side impact, etc. If there is enough force to tweak the unibody frame there is no good way to patch in a repair for less than the value of the car.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. arnis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    near Tallinn
    Country
    I just gave some links with prices for every major metal part in frontal crash.

That might be true in US but definitely not worldwide statement.

10. RobW

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Noblesville, IN.
    Country
    I am a parts manager in the big truck industry. When we have a truck down and the parts are not available I've had the manufacturer pull the parts off the line. They don't wait seven months to get repaired. I'm surprised that after months had gone by that someone didn't do that.