Replaced Wood Trim on Dashboard

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Love my Model 3 (silver), but the wood trim inside the cabin just seemed like such a mistake to me. (My humble opinion). So we switched it out for a carbon fiber. There are a lot on the market, but huge shout out to Mark at RPM TESLA. We drove up on a Sunday afternoon and picked it up. He even helped us change it out.

The pictures don't do it justice, but wow what a difference it makes.

Dan

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have you driven in the sun yet? I’m curious what your take is. I had to rip it off because of the extreme glare.

EDIT — I was very happy with the look before that issue though.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, this isn't a wrap, it's an entirely new dashboard with real molded carbon fiber. I chose matt finish because of the glare and it was great driving home in the sun yesterday. I loved the look of the high gloss but didn't pick it because of the glare factor. The photos make it look high gloss, but it's just the reflection from my flash.

njkode

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That looks sharp, at some point I'll prob swap out to that. A few other things I'd like to get done first.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
From YouTube:
"This account has been terminated due to a Trademark claim by a third party."

:eek:

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did this piece of the dash just pop out, or were there bolts that had to be removed?
Here's the RPM product link: https://www.rpmtesla.com/collection...on-fiber-dashboard-self-installing-499-20-off

Under the installation tab you'll see their official install video.

Pricing should continue to come down as new vendors start making their versions...RPM was originally at $1200. This is IMO the only way to go though if you want Carbon Fiber, not a fan of decal/vinyl knockoffs as a substitute for the real thing.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought the gloss one. I was a little worried about the glare but so far it's nothing. Not one issue yet but I wear sunglasses in my car most of the time. But even if I didn't I don't see this as being a problem and I'm in california. Maybe I just haven't hit that perfect sun spot yet.

My thought was if I hate the glare I would put matte PPF over the gloss area and problem solved. I hear 3M is coming out with matte PPF called Ghost would supposed to be really nice.

I didn't really want the matte only because it just looks like a wrap and I thought I may as well save some money and just wrap it if I went that route.

cf_dash.png

ninjarice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the heads up. Still interested in seeing how long it took to get them from RPM.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called Mark from RPM and took an impromtu road trip and picked it up in person. In fact, he did the install for me in about 3 minutes. So, I don't know how long the order usually takes, but it sounded like they try to get them out fairly quickly.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
@Ken Dalton

Any chance you have additional photos to share, from driver’s view with the sun? I’d like to see if I can handle the glare and like you, the matte looks too much like a wrap for my tastes.

Also, any issues with the weave quality? Is it fairly uniform? Any information would be appreciated!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I personally liked the Matte look since it matches my center Console wrap also. I did the matte mirror caps and going to do the matte wing when it becomes available (looking for the original factory wing). I have enclosed some picts while on road driving. it really stands out when driving and outside sun is shining onto it with no glare. :)

I highly recommend RPM Tesla and Mark. Great to deal with and their products are of high quality.

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Ken Dalton

Any chance you have additional photos to share, from driver’s view with the sun? I’d like to see if I can handle the glare and like you, the matte looks too much like a wrap for my tastes.

Also, any issues with the weave quality? Is it fairly uniform? Any information would be appreciated!

I haven't had any incidents of glare in my eyes at all and I'm in Calif where it's always sunny. I was worried about it too but it's a non issue. BUT, the one thing that it does is show up in my drivers side rear view mirror. I can see the gloss dash in my mirror sometimes. Never in the passenger side.

My thought was this, if the glare bothered me that much I would put xpel stealth matte film over the gloss so not only is it protected but the glare would be gone. It would be satin actually so it still wouldn't look like a wrap. But I'm not going to do this because I'm really happy with the gloss the way it sits now.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's a picture from the drivers point of view. One day if there is a glare at it's worst I'll snap a pic but so far this is what it looks like everywhere i go.

Attachments