replacement seat covers

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by Sealander, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Sealander

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I am replacing the black vegan seats with tan leather as soon as our Model 3 arrives. My wife does not want a car with black seats in the Texas Summer heat and I can't blame her. We already have a car with black seats and have to carry towels to sit on as they get so hot.

Granted the Model 3 will run the A/C to keep the interior cooler than an ICE car. Already ordered the replacement leather seat covers. This is an option for anyone having problems with the seat covers that come with the car. It's not cheap, but I justified it because the tax credit will drop by 50% by the time Tesla offers another interior color option for the car we want and the replacement seat covers cost less than that plus we get a leather option.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Point 3

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country

Where did you order the replacement leather from?

I have been contemplating it for the same reason

3. ppower

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It seems to be a common theme that works well for T Sportline that people think they are the only way to get them. Hardly the case. Go to Katzkin.com and take a look. Their website is really kinda confusing because there is no easy way to look up who are authorized dealers/installers in your area, so I've had to just call them to ask. I don't know if you will be able to get the TSportline seat design with the 3 bars, but that is where TSportline gets their kits from. Instead of $2000 for the kit plus installation, your local dealer should be able to get the kit installed for $2000 total. Plus, your installer can order extra material from Katzkin and be able to add color to the door panels. There are so many options, it's best to just talk directly with the installer. The website doesn't clearly show it all.

https://katzkin.com/choose-your-design/index.php

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    #4 artsci, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    No doubt that Katzkin is the way to go. I don’t like Tesla’s all black or white choices and want something else, and with Katzkin I can go all out.

Katzkln dealers can now do Model 3 leather covers and with a much wider variety of color choices, stitching, piping, etc, and for far less $. I’m visiting my local dealer tomorrow - Automotive Concepts of Timonium, MD - to take a look at leather color samples and discuss options like door panels, piping, center panels, etc, make decisions, and place an order. Doing all of that online without seeing samples is not for me. Want to see the stuff in the flesh.

5. Point 3

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country

Are they able to accommodate the old vs new style seats

6. artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    I’ll find out and report back tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ppower

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I'm sure they will be able to accommodate both style seats, and you'll have to verify new front vs rear as some have new fronts and old rears. While you're asking, can they get access to other stitching designs (namely the TSportline design)? It would be hard for me to pay an extra $500 for that, but it is a cool look.

8. jclxg

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I don't see white in here at all. Odd.

9. artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    As the Tsportline are made by Katzkin the stitching is just one of the Katzkin options -- nothing there that's unique to Tsportline.

Katzkin offers a white called "pearl." As best I can tell it's the same white as the Tsportline seats.

Headed off now to my Katzkin dealer. Will report back when I return.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sealander

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I already ordered mine from T Sportline, but it looks like there are other options out there.

I'm sure it's covered, but was wondering about the seat mounted airbags working with the new seat covers.

11. ppower

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    They will work just fine. Katzkin makes covers for OEM so they are well versed in making sure that airbags will still work.

• Like Like x 1
  12. artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Returned from the dealer but the guy who makes it all happen was out for the day. So I'll visit again Monday am.

I did further study and yes, Katzkin accommodates both V1 and and V2.

I was also able to examine leather samples -- there are probably fifty color choices, just about anything is possible. In addition you can have the seats made with Katzsuede, which appears to be alacantara or something close. I did a test configuration to see what costs would be for the options I preferred -- two colors, fancy stitching, diamond pattern on the center panels, embroidered parallel line Model 3 logo on the heat rest or lean back panel. It came to a total of about $1,500, a $500 savings from Tsportline. That savings will more than cover installation, plus purchase of some additional matching leather for some other trim mods I'll want to do.

If you want to play around with the Katzkin options to determine what it might cost for what you prefer, go to this vendor web site and enter your preferences.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ppower

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Excellent site. Did they give a ballpark installation cost or for covering door panels?

14. artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    That was not listed separately but I'll find out on Monday.

I may also want to change the console sides from black to a different color that matches the seat colors I'm planning so select. I'll get that cost as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Point 3

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    What color are you looking at

16. artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    I'm thinking about a 2 color design -- outside bisque and center panels diamond pattern salsa, both with contracting stitching. But I may change my mind. Also thinking about using bisque on the door panels.

17. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    years ago I'd looked into Katzkins for my Cougar (seemed like a pretty appropriate aftermarket company for a cougar ;)). at the time I ended up have an unexpected vet bill come up 2x the cost of new leather, so didn't end up getting them, but have seen others' installed and they were great. Would definitely consider them if I don't like the look/feel of Tesla's fake leather.

18. artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    #18 artsci, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 10.33.30 AM.png Kind of bad news. Visited the Katzkin dealer this morning (Automotiive Concepts in Timonium, MD) and the manager who who handles the Katzkin orders (Doug Pasini) told me they dropped Katzkin about a week ago. He told my they had major problems with Katzkin, including poor fit. They’re now using Alea Leather which does make seats for the Model 3. I trust Doug beyond any doubt (his work is of the highest quality) so if Katzkin couldn’t meet his standards and Alea can, I’m going to go with Alea. They don’t have as many color choices as Katzkin but the design options are much more varied and interesting.

Like Tesla, the Alea site has a design studio, so you can choose designs, colors, and details and we what the seats will look like. They also have napa leather as a choice. Here's an image of my first crack and what I may want.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. jclxg

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Do they have the same type of Vegan leather? I like it much more than actual leather.

20. artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    It's real leather -- don't think they offer vegan. Also Alea at the moment makes nothing for the Model 3, (they don't have the patterns) so now I'm back to Katzkin. In fact I placed an order today -- should get an estimate in a few days. Doug is going to manage the install so that give me confidence he'll get it right.