Reverse, don't apply brake, car rolling back slightly, switch to drive, car immediately accelerates

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked up my Model 3 last week. Love the car :). I did notice something odd today and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I reversed out of a perpendicular parking space (manually not summoned), once I was positioned out of the space and ready to move forward I noticed the car was still rolling backward just a bit. Instead of putting my foot on the brake (it was rolling back very very slowly) I figured I'd just flip the lever down to the Drive position. When I did that the car started accelerating forward. Didn't have my foot on the accelerator. I caught it at maybe 5-7 mph and applied the brake. It freaked me out a bit because it seemed to me that the vehicle was going to continue accelerating.

It seems as though it went into cruise control mode directly from reverse. I didn't use autopilot at all today. I do use the hold on brake feature.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you have creep turned on? I can put the car into drive from reverse and it will keep rolling back until I add enough acceleration to make it go forward. I do not have creep turned on.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are a lot of things controlled by software on this car, but I'd encourage you to really think through and review what happened. It's very unlikely the car took off on it's own. The car will not go into Autopilot until you are driving over a certain speed limit or following another car.

There is also a newer feature you might turn on, it is called Obstacle Aware acceleration - Acceleration is automatically limited if an obstacle is detected in front of your vehicle while driving at low speeds. Obstacle-Aware Acceleration can be enabled or disabled in Controls > Autopilot.

Is there a chance that perhaps you had your foot on the accelerator a bit and didn't realize it? This car will go form reverse to drive and vice versa at slow speeds without coming to a stop.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll have to practice in an empty lot somewhere and see if I can figure out what I did that got me a bit rattled.

JasonF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would take a guess that you shifted from reverse to drive, the car continued rolling back, and your previous experience driving made you push the accelerator harder than expected to compensate.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I reversed out of a perpendicular parking space (manually not summoned), once I was positioned out of the space and ready to move forward I noticed the car was still rolling backward just a bit. Instead of putting my foot on the brake (it was rolling back very very slowly) I figured I'd just flip the lever down to the Drive position. When I did that the car started accelerating forward. Didn't have my foot on the accelerator. I caught it at maybe 5-7 mph and applied the brake. It freaked me out a bit because it seemed to me that the vehicle was going to continue accelerating.
do you have EAP? is there a chance that you clicked the gear selector down enough to turn on TACC?

Tombolian

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not exactly the same, but I just recently had a similar experience that freaked me out. You're right, go into a safe place and practice... See here if you haven't already;
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/tacc-scary-incident.9416/
Yeah my VW had a bit of roll back in reverse but foot had to be on the brake to bring it out of reverse. The weird part was then the forward motion after putting it in drive. I don't recall having my foot on the accelerator. The car started moving forward at a pace fast enough to surprise me. I'll have to see if I can reproduce it.