1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

RHD indicators

Discussion in 'Design' started by Jos, Mar 24, 2017.

More threads by Jos
  1. Jos

Jos
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Auckland
    Country
    I want to know what side of the steering wheel will the indicators be placed for right-hand-drive?
    For your left hand drive car you have your right hand of the controls in the center of the car: drive selection, climate control, touch screen. indicators stalk is on the left by the window on the other side of the steering wheel.

Right hand drive the standard is the other way around. Indicators on the right by the window, with the left hand for everything in the center.

I don't know the right hand drive model Ss.
    After the steering wheel, the indicator is the most important control. It annoys me in, particularly European cars, that often they don't put the indicator on the other side ending up with the indicator on the left of their right hand drive cars. In my opinion that is the wrong side.

Anyone know if Tesla is swapping things over for right hand drive?

Jos

2. OzVic

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Newcastle, Australia
    They put the indicator stalk on the wrong side for the S and X. It won't change for the 3.

They will take the cop-out approach like most European manufacturers. At least the Japanese and Koreans actually give a shit about stuff like this and make their cars correctly for their intended markets.

I wonder how easy it would be to convert...

3. Jos

Jos
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Auckland
    Country
    I went into the pop up store in Ponsonby Auckland yesterday. S has an combined wiper and lights on the one stalk on the left of the steering wheel. I asked about it. Answer - that is how the up market European cars are. I agree with you, it's a cop out. Europeans have it on the left because their gear stick is on the right. Tesla's have the selector on the column, so the most important should be at one's dominant hand - for most people it's the right hand.

There is a reason why all the cars I have had to date are Japanese and Korean, one of those reasons is that the indicator is on the right!

4. Gabzqc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Helsinki, Finland
    Country
    With only a few exceptions, the indicators are ALWAYS on the left hand side of the wheel in UK and Europe.
    (from years of experience driving and living there)

I see no reason why the Model 3 should not be just the same as the S and X, and have the indicators on the left...

• Agree Agree x 3