1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Right-hand drive reservation priority

Discussion in 'UK and Ireland' started by Will R, May 4, 2016.

More threads by Will R
  1. Will R

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    England
    As I'm in the UK, I am waiting for a right-hand drive Model 3 (I reserved on 1 April).

So how does the priority for right-hand drive versions work? Tesla said on their blog:

Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. When production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. As we continue to ramp production, we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets. It is not possible to ship to all regions simultaneously because regulators in each part of the world have slightly different production requirements. Staggering deliveries in this way also allows us to provide the best possible customer experience.

Can anyone shed some light on how this works in practice? Perhaps someone with some experience of ordering a right-hand drive Model S or X.

When they say "we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets", I don't know whether they mean in that order. I also don't know if they will fulfil every North American order, then every European order, then every APAC order, then every right-hand order.

Or is there some overlap - e.g. do they start delivering to Europe before they deliver all North American cars? I find it hard to believe that someone in Europe who is number 1,000 on the list will get their delivery before an American who is 400,000 on the list!

2. 101uk

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Uk
    I'm in the same situation and it would be nice if Tesla could clarify. There must be some kind of cut off point in the reservation list where they start producing right hand drive models. Maybe we will hear more when they announce the UK pricing next year.

3. Mike Telford

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    United Kingdom
    Work on getting your motor late 2018. The X was supposed to be available at the beginning of this year BUT only a week or so have they started taking orders in Europe. The UK Is still showing 'reservations only' which show we are waaaaaay down the list of priorities.
    My Model S was ordered last August and the earliest I could get it was December (I did put it off till 1st March thinking there might be a bigger battery- got the 90 so that worked)
    If there are substantial orders in the UK, Tesla will have to keep us happy and not risk us requesting our deposits back. The right hand cars are built in Europe and I think Tesla is looking for a new factory.... The French are sniffing around to secure one

FYI, love my MS so much, have reserved 2 M3's

• Like Like x 2
  4. Englander

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    United Kingdom
    For the Model S the first UK RHD deliveries came two years after the car was first delivered in the States!

For the Model X I'm guessing the delay will be closer to a year, i.e. U.K. deliveries perhaps starting late this year.

What we need is for Elon and his team of magicians to halve the time again for the Model 3! That would mean UK deliveries starting in the summer of 2018... which seems an awfully long time away at the moment :confused:

5. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Given the interior design of the Model 3 prototypes (which one of the Tesla test-drive engineers stated wouldn't change much for production), it looks like it was designed to easily manufacture for left- or right-handed drive. Therefore, I don't expect nearly as long of a delay in getting this model into RHD markets.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cherub

Expand Collapse

Airline Pilot
    City & State/Province:
    U.K.
    Without having a traditional drivetrain to work around it should be a fairly simple to move the steering wheel and I guess change the software? I don't know what else they would have to do! I didn't order until the start of May but I'm happy to wait until 2019/20 to take delivery, that's what I'm working on. Good to see a few other Brits, I might start a uk thread later.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 101uk

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Uk
    A UK thread would be great.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  8. Cherub

Expand Collapse

Airline Pilot
    City & State/Province:
    U.K.
    I have inquired about a UK sub forum, will keep you posted.

I was told when ordering that RHD models come well down the list, that could change but I think even if you ordered at the reveal you would be lucky to get a car in 2018 in the UK.

9. Cherub

Expand Collapse

Airline Pilot
    City & State/Province:
    U.K.
  10. 101uk

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Uk
    Any chance we could get this thread moved over to the UK forum please Mr Moderator? @TrevP

11. Electric Vehicle Guy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    United Kingdom
    Hey. Another Brit here with Model 3 reservation done on 31st pre-reveal and bumped into Georg Ell, head of Tesla UK. I asked him about RHD deliveries and got a response that they'd happen after start of European deliveries as my YouTube video

I have wondered however as a non Tesla owner if They were to now lease or buy a used Model S would that move someone up the queue post reservation?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gorelimey

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Sittingbourne
    Country
    Guy in Tesla Bluewater today wouldn't give up much on 3 until I said I'd reserved one.

After that he said there won't be much of a difference if you ordered #1 or #400,000 if you're from the UK. The setup to make RHD units will be done in one go and they'll make a big batch.

I've jumped on a testdrive booking in a few weeks to try autopilot and the things about Tesla I've become unhealthy obsessed about.

13. Polly Liversalts

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Uk
    Will this be your first test drive?

14. Gorelimey

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Sittingbourne
    Country
    Yeah, never driven one before.

Fastest cars I've had before were a 200SX and a 13sec 1/4 mile Renault 5, so the performance will be shocking (test is a P90D) but I'm really interested in distance, autopilot and 'feel' of drive smoothness (if that makes sense).

15. Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    UK
    Country
    Great to hear you placed an order.

However, I would not depend on anything Tesla sales people say. As far as I know, no public announcement has been made with regard to delivery schedule so it is very unlikely a Tesla sales person will know.

What we know so far... EM mentioned at the reveal that there will be regional production queues. He also gave a rough indication of how production will start in US for employees initially, then in the immediate vicinity of Fremont and spreading out. My Tesla says production is due to begin in 2017. It is likely part 3 reveal will include some more information. Everything else is pure speculation, false information or just wishful thinking.

Imagine you were a Tesla UK salesperson. Would you have said anything different?

16. Polly Liversalts

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Uk
    I took the P90D out before Christmas with Kirk from Bluewater. Drove it from Bluewater to Ebsfleet on autopilot and was amazed, did have a few moments where it didn't match my driving style. On right hand bends it was right on the inside line which is fine on the track but not on open roads. Acceleration is brutal. It was just so easy and comfortable to drive though. Loved the regen, used the brake pedal once on the whole test drive, enjoy you'll come back with the Tesla

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Polly Liversalts

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Uk
    Smile (it deleted my emoji)

18. TheMarkMeister

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Essex
    Country
    I ordered mine on the 31st of March (nearly a year ago... wow) and I'm going to take a guess that we probably won't see them here until mid 2018 at the very earliest! I'm cool with that though.

19. Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    UK
    Country
    Welcome. I ordered during the reveal presentation so should not be too far behind you. I do expect additional delay on RHD and that is fine.

However, I really hope that at reveal 3 Tesla will clarify roughly what their international production sequence is going to be so we have some idea when we can expect ours.

20. TheMarkMeister

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Essex
    Country
    Cheers.

You might be ahead of me, depending on what you order? Elon tweeted that higher spec'd cars will be higher priority so you never know!

But yes, hopefully after part 3, Tesla will be able to answer the questions we all have.