1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

San Diego Tesla Owners

Discussion in 'California' started by Dreamwave6, Mar 23, 2017.

More threads by Dreamwave6
  1. Dreamwave6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    Hello everyone. I'm a Model 3 reservationist in San Diego. Anyone in America's Finest City interested in meeting up???

-Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  2. Guy Weathersby

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Poway CA
    My wife and I are in Poway and can probably make it. Sounds like fun.

3. Guy Weathersby

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Poway CA
    San Diego reservationists are looking less social than I would have guessed. Maybe they are in mourning for the HUD.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Hey San Diego folks,
    Not that we wish you to forego your Model 3 reservation yet thought I share what @TrevP just tweeted on... ;)

5. RandyS

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Diego
    I'm in San Diego with a Model S and a Nissan LEAF, with a reservation for a 3...I can help with questions about the S or EV driving in General and also EV rates (since I work in SDG&E's Clean Transportation group)...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Guy Weathersby

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Poway CA
    Welcome to the group.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andy Z

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Diego
    Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I'm new here. Also from San Diego. I would be interested in a get together. I do have a Model X and cannot wait for my model 3.

• Like Like x 1
  8. imataiwanezz

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Santee, CA
    Country
    Hi everyone, I've been looking through my last two SDG&E bills, we are on tier pricing plan currently. My wife and I manage to stay within the tier 1 pricing, but just barely (within about 10-30 KWH). As I'm planning for our Model 3 or X soon I've been thinking if it'd be worth it to switch to the EV price plan? I only have 2 months of full history with SDG&E so can't really analyze our bill and usage much.
    I work, and my wife is going to school so we are gone during most of the peak hours. Depending on the day I may get home from work around 5 to 5:30 pm and we are usually home on the weekends. I figured with the addition of the Tesla it would push us over into Tier 2 pricing, but not by much. So would it be worth it to change, or stay on the tier plan and pay the tier 2 price for just a couple extra KWH? Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated. Just looking at how to trim bills and put monies into my Tesla piggy bank.

9. Andy Z

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Diego
    Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    You might consider a plan with off peak rates. SDGE calls them TOU plans (Time of use) You can select the time you charge the car and do it after midnight. SDGE also has a plan for a separate meter for your car.

10. RandyS

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Diego
    How many miles are you going to drive the 3 or X while charging from home?

11. imataiwanezz

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Santee, CA
    Country
    Probably around 150 miles a week or so To and from work is 200 miles in a week, but I'll be riding my motorcycle half the time or a bit more than half.

12. RandyS

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Diego
    Okay. So it sounds like about 600 miles per month, or about 200 - 250 kWh per month charging the car.

Here are some observations....

Tiered Rate:
    Currently (depending on your baseline), you're using about 300 kWh in Tier 1 (with 10-30 kWh left in Tier 1), and the car (assume 250 kWh) would push you consistently into Tier 2 every month. Total usage would be approximately 330 kWh in Tier 1, and 220 kWh in Tier 2. Here are the current prices for the Tiered (DR) rate (they vary slightly by season):

https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/09-01-17 Schedule DR Total Rates Table2.pdf

My rough calcs without tax is that the tiered rate would cost about $162 per month in summer and $149 per month in winter with the additional car consumption. On December 1, seasonal periods change so that winter will be for 7 months of the year and summer 5 months of the year, hence the total for the year on the tiered rate would be about $1,850.

TOU Rate:
    Since the TOU periods are going to change dramatically on December 1 due to a recent CPUC decision, I think you should compare using those new periods...

Peak - 4pm - 9pm
    Super Off-peak: Midnight to 6am weekdays, midnight to 2pm weekends
    All other times: Off Peak
    Since there are no tiers, quantities are unlimited during these time periods at the prices shown.

Current prices for TOU Periods will change, though, as TOU periods change in December. But here are the prices for now:

https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/...dule EV-TOU & EV-TOU-2 Total Rates Tables.pdf

You'll be using about 550 kWh per month. You should set the timer on the car to charge after midnight. Doing so means that car charging will be all done in the super off-peak period.

My estimates of your consumption on the EV-TOU2 rate would be as follows:

Super Off-Peak: 300 kWh
    Peak: 125 kWh
    Off peak: 125 kWh

My rough calcs for the EV-TOU2 rate are about $151 monthly in summer, and about $120 in winter. On an annual basis, that works out to be about $1,600 per year, or an approximate savings of about $250 per year over the tiered rate. If you use additional energy for the car during the super off-peak period, it will cost about half as much on the TOU rate if you charge during the super off-peak vs. charging on Tier 2. So the more car energy you use, the better the TOU rate is.

Bottom Line: Given the information provided, I would switch to the EV-TOU2 rate.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. imataiwanezz

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Santee, CA
    Country
    Thanks for the detailed reply, when I called SDG&E to ask about this they and they said since I didn't have sufficient history with them they couldn't give me advice. I'll be calling SDG&E to get switched over, I don't need the car in order to change over right? Good bye 80 dollar electric bills :'( the new peak hours kinda suck, are they all 7 days of the week? I do like the new weekend super off peak hours though.

14. ng0

ng0
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Diego
    Country
    We're planning a last minute Model 3 meetup in San Diego for tomorrow (yes there will be an actual Model 3 there). Private message me for the details :)

• Like Like x 1