1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

SciFi inspiration

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by Red Sage, Apr 12, 2017.

More threads by Red Sage
  1. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    @droeder -- I had considered giving your post a 'like' just for the sake of the 'flying [FIG]' comment... But then you ruined it all toward the end by mentioning the dreaded word 'cheap'.

To each his own and stuff. I likes what I likes. I dund what I dunt. Please accept that there is more than one definition for what is 'nice' or 'good' or 'worth it'.

I am a longtime fan of Science Fiction. As a result, my aesthetic tastes trend toward their Production designs and similar architecture, furniture design, and industrial design. I previously worked in Architecture myself, for three guys who had been young students at USC in the late 1960s and early 1970s, but were 'old guys' by the time I was in their employ some 25 years ago. I really liked their designs, which were anything but 'traditional' and that I personally thought were rather cool. It's funny that I am probably older than they were then. Prior to that, I worked in Century City CA, which was a place I loved, because much of the architecture there had been used as a backdrop for one of the 'Planet of the Apes' movies I enjoyed as a child. I can only hope this gives you some insight into why I really like the Model ☰ interior precisely as it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @Red Sage ARK II, Space 1999, The Landmaster... oh man I loved those shows so much I begged my mother to sew me a uniform just like they had in Ark II and she did! Sorry, the pictures never survived the great divorce purge of 2007

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Los Angeles CA
      Country
      #3 Red Sage, Apr 12, 2017
      Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
      I am certain that the Landmaster and ARK II were the inspiration for the MAKO seen in 'MASS EFFECT'. I think there may have been another show that used a similar vehicle, perhaps related to the shows 'SPACE ACADEMY' and 'JASON of STAR COMMAND', but I cannot remember it's name. I only remember a catch phrase the EVIL Bad Guy used... "DIGITIZE THEM!!!" Heh. It was the 1980s. I realize now that I largely did not actually pay attention to the names of shows, or characters, or plot lines while growing up.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Oh, and I also think the architecture and landscaping at The Citadel in 'MASS EFFECT' was modeled after much of ABC Plaza in Century City CA.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG] [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
      • bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
        City & State/Province:
        Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
        Love me some mass effect space ships :) But the Normandy was mostly controlled by an AI so maybe THATS what Elon is going for :) (aka autopilot with siri equivalent)

• Like Like x 1
        • Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Los Angeles CA
          Country
          Well, it was the Normandy SR2 that got the AI (EDI). The VIs (Virtual Intelligence) on the SR1 were merely there as an assist for such things as targeting during battle and venting of exhaust after stealth was disengaged, housekeeping stuff. Joker did the driving... erm... flying, himself. And those screen watchers between the bridge and CNC weren't there as window dressing. ;)

[​IMG]
          [​IMG]
          [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1