Screen Protector

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought an Abstract Ocean matte screen protector and was planning to install it this weekend. Luckily I decided to wait until I attended an owner's symposium. There I learned that the screen already has a clear protector installed by the manufacturer that Tesla does not remove. It just peels off. I never noticed it. It would have been a real mess if I hadn't removed it.

Pescakl1

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yes, but it is a glossy one and shows figure prints.

Do you still plan to install the matte screen protector that you bought?

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I think he meant it would have been bad if he installed the aftermarket screen protector over the existing Tesla screen protector.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Yes.

I think he meant it would have been bad if he installed the aftermarket screen protector over the existing Tesla screen protector.
Correct

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought an Abstract Ocean matte screen protector and was planning to install it this weekend. Luckily I decided to wait until I attended an owner's symposium. There I learned that the screen already has a clear protector installed by the manufacturer that Tesla does not remove. It just peels off. I never noticed it. It would have been a real mess if I hadn't removed it.
yeeeeeeeah. Don't try to put a screen protector over the one that is already there

I maaaay have done that already.

EV-Expert

BANNED USER
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the Matte Protector, removed that factory film, it looks and works great. Note, the Model 3 Screen is not rectangular. There is a small gap at the bottom of the screen with these protectors. Do not let your OCD go out of control....it looks and works just fine.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I finally installed mine. Screwed up a little and have a few small air bubbles but I'm not going to obsess over it. Matte finish helps a lot with the glare I was getting from side windows.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@EV-Expert or @OneSixtyToOne , could you share some photos to see the difference between the factory and the matte one?

Thanks,
This photo of the matte protector is a worse case scenario: bright sun with extreme glare coming from passenger side window. With the factory protector, reading the screen was very difficult.
Matte.JPG

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you wet apply this? I have always used that method on my phones and it gives great results. Anyone try it?

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can someone clarify - the factory protector - is it likely just a light film like would come on most any electronics gear you buy and is intended to be removed? Or is it really heavy enough it is intended to be a long term protector? I'm guessing the first, it just seem a lot of folks don't notice it and remove it.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can someone clarify - the factory protector - is it likely just a light film like would come on most any electronics gear you buy and is intended to be removed? Or is it really heavy enough it is intended to be a long term protector? I'm guessing the first, it just seem a lot of folks don't notice it and remove it.
Oh no, you definitely want to take it off. Once the oils from your screen sit on it, it starts to distort your screen and can even lead to phantom "touches". I would compare it to what's on a new smartphone when you buy it and those come off immediately.

IMG_1417.jpg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got the new Abstract Ocean 9H screen protector. Fairly easy to install, but you really have to watch out for those specs of dust.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Just ordered the same screen protector for myself and a my friend. Matte is a very smart idea. I've heard there are some glare issues on the model 3 screen.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just ordered the same screen protector for myself and a my friend. Matte is a very smart idea. I've heard there are some glare issues on the model 3 screen.
I haven't had any glare issues with the Florida sun (note the side and rear windows are tinted).

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I haven't had any glare issues with the Florida sun (note the side and rear windows are tinted).
That's good to hear. I'm up in Ontario, you certainly get more sun than us. I think the matte protector will help with fingerprints.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So other than the matte version (for glare), what is the point of a screen protector? This isn't a smartphone so it's pretty unlikely that it's going to get scratched or cracked.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So other than the matte version (for glare), what is the point of a screen protector? This isn't a smartphone so it's pretty unlikely that it's going to get scratched or cracked.
It protects from cracked glass flying around the cabin during an accident.