Second Autopilot Trial

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Figure this is worth it's own thread as it'll function a tad differently and we're still waiting on the timeline. I've become a bit of the posterboy of the situation so I've gathered as much info as I can.

Elon confirmed it here:

Original Tweeter confirmed it with support here:

I also had a similar conversation with support on the phone yesterday evening. You might be thinking 'why does he care about the trial that much when he had one?'. I don't care about the trial per-se. The trial comes with the $5500USD upgrade option (7300CAD) which I want to take advantage of. A big part of my efforts with support was to just pay that now instead of waiting for a trial. Alas the agent had no way of actually charging me the 5500. It was 7000 or bust.

Support did confirm that 1) they're doing another trial for TM3 owners that had a trial on V8 earlier in the year and have yet to try V9. 2) He confirmed that they'll be offering the $5500 upgrade path during/after the trial. Not clear on that one besides the pricing being offered. 3) He also confirmed that I qualified for it and he can see it will be enabled.

The stories floating around claiming Tesla is honoring the trial or even 6000 upgrade price seem to be just conjecture. Previous when FSD was going up Elon confirmed that existing owners could get the old pricing but it seems it was almost impossible for anyone to get said pricing without spending hours on the phone and working your way up the foodchain with reps. AP seems to be similar as my service centre couldn't get me the pricing either, tried them before calling support.

I'll update with any info I get as I'm pretty excited to get AP and this will probably be the last window besides @ delivery to get a good price on it.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it's smart to do another trial now that Navigate on Autopilot is here!
Especially as they're working to be profitable. I'm sure the cash will help a lot over these next few quarters which may be a tad flat with potential loan payments due. NOA isn't available in Can yet so trial could be delayed here if they're trying to push it. NOA won't impact my life at all as the main highway here is dead simple.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder what the statistics are on how many Tesla Model 3 with autopilot and without plus it's software it doesn't cost them anymore to keep producing so I'm sure they would honor the 5500 price straight profit to the bottom line at this point

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder what the statistics are on how many Tesla Model 3 with autopilot and without plus it's software it doesn't cost them anymore to keep producing so I'm sure they would honor the 5500 price straight profit to the bottom line at this point
Yeah pretty much my thoughts too. The guy totally wanted to take my money but you can tell they limit what the phone reps can do. Tesla doesn't do discounts so it's not like phone staff can do much. I'm sure a high % take the option at delivery. I didn't simply because my highway drive is short and it'd have been 90 bucks added to my loan. Rather save up (like I have) and just buy it outright.

MRinPDX

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, do we each need to call support and wait for hrs online to get them to add us to the second trial? I appreciate @BigBri and others who have gone through this and educated the rest of us on what's going on.

BenG

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, do we each need to call support and wait for hrs online to get them to add us to the second trial? I appreciate @BigBri and others who have gone through this and educated the rest of us on what's going on.
I've called a few times and got different responses each time, but in each case the rep doesn't seem to have any official information or ability to do anything. I sure hope that changes soon.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
IMO -- EAP price is simply too high. They'd be better served at a lower price or move to an a'la cart menu on each feature. I didn't buy it at 5K, what makes them think I'd do so for 7k? Silliness.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After doing a couple drives with the Autopilot I find that it doesn't feel like it's worth $5k. It frequently hesitates to change lanes for a long time even though there is no one coming. It cancels out of the blue, it works only in ideal conditions. It's nice to have, but overpriced. Now, if it was a real autopilot that would have me take over for the 'last mile' it would be great and well worth it. In its current state I felt better buying the long range AWD hardware was the better investment of $7k.

John Slaby

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After doing a couple drives with the Autopilot I find that it doesn't feel like it's worth $5k. It frequently hesitates to change lanes for a long time even though there is no one coming. It cancels out of the blue, it works only in ideal conditions. It's nice to have, but overpriced. Now, if it was a real autopilot that would have me take over for the 'last mile' it would be great and well worth it. In its current state I felt better buying the long range AWD hardware was the better investment of $7k.
Certainly, it is not perfect at this point and I can understand your decision to go with AWD. The thing to remember, however, is that it keeps improving. Since I got my Model 3, it has steadily improved. I can use it in almost any weather, including heavy rain; I can use it on many non-highway roads; and I use it on all but about 5 miles of my daily 55 mile commute to work. It has been a great value for me.

Park2670

Country
Country
Currently using the trial right now, but still havent been able to sell my wife on the purchase price. Hope after another year of updates and improvements I can get another trial and show her how much it is worth at that point in time.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Keep us posted. I'm in the same boat as you.
I shall! I've no additional news upto this point. I check the forums/reddit multiple times a day to see if there is any word. So far it's been quiet.

Suspicion is we won't see it til 2019. They give you a month and then a week to upgrade. If they wished to push some additional revenue this quarter we would've had it last week or the week before. Now we'd be into 2019 so they may use the trial to pad Q1 financials.

Park2670

Country
Country
Just made a long drive while on the Autopilot trial. Had at least ten failed lane change attempts in 400 miles that makes me wonder what those behind me think is wrong with the driver as it attempts to swerve back even though I am firmly holding the wheel and making it complete the lane change. Also got frustrated with it always swerving right at every onramp on the highway. Also get frustrated with how rough/abrupt the braking is when it actually needs to brake for a slow moving car.

Ill miss 99% of the features, but am okay with not having it for now. Ill be anxiously awaiting it to get better and better.