1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Service Center Distance?

Discussion in 'Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Skione65, Apr 16, 2016.

More threads by Skione65
  1. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country
    So the nearest Service Center to me is approximately 102 miles away. There is a Supercharging Station at the same location as well as a Showroom. I also have a Supercharging Station 16 miles from my residence.

My question is how far would a Service Center have to be from you for it to dissuade you from considering or purchasing a Model 3? (My distance is not dissuading my M3 Purchase decision)! Of course there may be a closer Service Station built in proximity to me prior to post 2017/2018 Model 3 Rollout. But, as of right now I would have to drive that 102 miles (each way) or 3 hour round trip 'just to get service'. Hopefully just the Standard scheduled servicing and not constant "Bugginess".

To those Forum Members that are Model S or X owners how often do you "need" the services of your Service Center? Is it standard servicing or are you there frequently?

My other question I'd post to our Members is how close IS the nearest Service Station to your present residence out of curiosity (Currently). Of course as stated above that COULD change before rollout or before you take delivery of your Gem. Looking forward to your responses.

Ski

• Like Like x 1
    • TE3LA

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Iowa
      Country
      I also share these questions. My nearest service station is 200 miles away, although there is a new one coming only 139 miles away! ;-P

I've read that Tesla service is only required once a year, which means for me I'll need to schedule a vacation to Kansas City every year. Could be worse.

If my Model 3 is glichy or a lemon...then I'm screwed.

• Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Kentucky
      Country
      TE3LA,

Exactly.....I'm not worried so much about the annual Service Maintenance, more so possible 'growing pains' or 'glitchyness' of a new Model Vehicle and repeated 3 hour round trips (not including the actual work downtime while the car is there) if those are needed.

Also, how does one determine locations of upcoming New Service Centers? You mention a new one coming closer to your location. I've only seen the Tesla "Current" Supercharger and Service Ceneter location maps.

Ski

• Drew

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Kalamazoo, MI
      Closest to me is 140 miles away. Little worrisome also do not have superchargers close. But I can go anywhere in the lower peninsula since they are positioned well within Michigan.

• TE3LA

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Iowa
      Country
      It was on Tesla's map, but in grey:
      coming soon.jpg

• Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Kentucky
      Country

T3SLA,

Ahhhhhh.....well. That's something. I'll check the map again. I think I remember seeing that and there was nothing even remotely close but I'll look again. Anyone else?

Ski

• Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Kentucky
      Country
      Ok.....I have found 'Supercharge.info' which lists current locations(depicted in red), current construction(depicted by an orange highway cone), and Permits(depicted in blue) of SUPERCHARGING STATIONS.

http://supercharge.info/

Anything like this map or a site with TESLA SERVICE CENTERS?

Ski

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Gman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        LA
        Thanks! I've been looking for a map like this too.

• MelindaV

☰ > 3
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Vancouver, WA
        Country
        #9 MelindaV, Apr 17, 2016
        Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
        If you click the "find us" link at the top of the page, you can turn on just the service centers.
        ETA: and Model 3 reveal noted locations would be increased by end of 2017 from 215 to 441. They don't give a breakdown between stores and service, but probably safe to say each would be doubled, so if there is one in your region, there will be a second one (and SC locations from 3,608 to 7,200!)

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 7.56.18 AM.png

• garsh

Dis Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Pittsburgh PA
        Country
        Thanks for the link, Skione65. I've been wondering where to find information on upcoming supercharger locations.

I really need them to add one on I80 in western PA, or one near Altoona. But alas, they have no plans yet.

• Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Kentucky
        Country
        Gman,

No worries! Glad I could help!

Ski

Garsh,

My pleasure my friend!

Ski

• Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Kentucky
        Country
        Speaking of Service Centers.... Is Teslas/Elons decision for Service Center locations and final decisions based on geographical population? Or driven by current Tesla Owners? And/or Model 3 reservation numbers in certain areas?

Also is there a way to message Elon on recommending a Service Center location be built in a certain locale.

I don't even have one in my state. It would be nice if by the end of 2018 for Model 3 rollout Tesla at least had one in each state in a major city/locale to preclude these long distance 'Day Trips' just to get our cars serviced.

Ski

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Van Shrider

Expand Collapse

Flavor Chemist
          City & State/Province:
          Ohio USA
          At 15:10 minutes into the YouTube of the reveal video, Elon said that as long as you are close to a large metro area, you will be able to buy a car and get it serviced.....(add on to that from me, as long as your legislators have not made it illegal)

There was an article somewhere saying that a service center was coming to Louisville, KY. Or maybe I heard the sales gal in Cincy say it to someone when I was there.
          But now all I'm seeing is a hiring notice in Cincy, for a mobile service person in Louisville......maybe brick and mortar planned or in the works.
          https://www.teslamotors.com/careers/job/ranger-technician-louisvilleky-32782

I've been snooping around on their careers site. Trying to see where they are hiring.

Listing of all US and Canada hiring notices
          https://www.teslamotors.com/careers/search#/?department=2
          Click on US and Canada to narrow it down, and look at service, or service advisor.

Others in Anti-Tesla States might have a bigger issue.

• Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Kentucky
          Country
          Van Shrider,

Great information. A Service Center in Louisville is exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully that's what you heard the sales gal n Cincy say. As far as your comment on Elon saying if you live in a large metro area if you buy a car you can get it 'serviced' may have meant a mobile service person 'in Louisville' or one who will travel from the Service Center in Cincy TO Louisville to service my Model 3 if serviceable without needing To be IN the Service Center. Rather have a full Service Center for obvious reasons.

Also maybe in new locales Tesla will "start" with a Mobile Service Tech while building or planning to build a Brick and Mortar Sevice Station until it gets up and running. That would be tremendous.

Ski

• garsh

Dis Member
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Pittsburgh PA
          Country
          I know that there's currently a mobile service tech (or two?) located in Pittsburgh. That's probably the plan for cities until there's more demand.

• DDD4EV

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Lexington KY USA
          I also live in Kentucky. At the current time, Tesla cannot establish a sales/service center in Kentucky since it is against state law (many states forbid internet car dealerships due to powerful traditional car dealership lobbies). I discussed the service issue while visiting the Cincy Tesla dealer. I was informed that Tesla has a number of Tesla-trained service rangers who are on retainer and reside in Lexington. Do not believe that service is available only at Tesla service centers. It appears that Tesla has service rangers on retainer in areas that have significant number of Model S owners. Without local service rangers, a flat tire could become a major problem. You must be trained how to change a tire without damaging the battery pack. Tesla would rather have local rangers on retainer than repair battery packs damaged by local AAA folks who are not trained.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Kentucky
            Country
            @DDD4EV,

Great info.....Thanks for that. I just checked the Service Map.....looks like the Cincy location is the closest Service Center to you as well. Did the SC say that Lexington is the only area in the state with Rangers? Still not bad as that's only an hour from me. I've yet to make a road trip up to the Cincy SC but will in the near future to check it out. Any photos from up there?

On a side note just noticed that Bowling Green has a 'Permit' for an 8 Stall SuperCharger to be built! Good news on expansion for our state.

Thanks Again,

Ski

• DDD4EV

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Lexington KY USA
            Ski,

You can be assured that Louisville has local rangers just like Lexington. You should visit the Cincy dealership and test drive a Model S (dangerous action since you may get hooked and buy a Model S CPO during your visit). It will be worth the trip. Richard Martinus is the local owner/advisor and is an excellent resource for answering Tesla concerns in our area.

DDD4EV

• Like Like x 1
            • Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Kentucky
              Country
              @DDD4EV,

Noted. Thanks! I'll take down Richards name and look him up when I get up there. (Already looking at CPOs!). As the wait is killing me. I know if I test drive one I'm sunk. CPOs have currently all but dried up as far as the lower mileage better deals as they've pulled them for 'loaners' to all the X issues from what I'm told. Are you currently an S owner?

Ski

• DDD4EV

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Lexington KY USA
              Ski,

When I made my Model S reservation, the price was quoted to be 65K. When it accelerated to 90K, I obtained a refund. Despite the concerns expressed in other threads, Tesla returned my 5K promptly.

Previous discussions on this website informed me that large numbers of CPOs still exist at relatively reasonable prices but these were removed from the Tesla website due to technical issues (many CPOs would sell while being used as loaners, making delivery problematic). The thread on this website stated that Tesla has CPO reps would can search the nationwide inventory and find the CPO of your dreams. Those looking for a low miles 2013 P85 for 65K may still have hope.

DDD4EV