Service center experience + model S loaner

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,

Been a little MIA on this forum since I got my model 3, but I've been really enjoying it and still thrilled with my purchase. Wanted to talk a little bit about my service center experience and then follow up with my comparison between my model 3 based on 3 weeks of experience in comparison to the model S they were nice enough to give me as a loaner.

The service center experience was a little mixed. Got there late in the day for the last appointment. When I got there I parked and a guy came out to check me in. He seemed a little annoyed that I was there. I don't know if he was upset that so many people were bringing their new model 3s in or if he was in a rush to get out of there or what, but I was a little confused.

He went in and got my service tech to do a walk around with me. That guy was super friendly. I felt a little bit bad about being nitpicky about all the fit and finish issues but he understood where I was coming from and was patient with me. One thing I was a bit upset about was the first thing I pointed out which were the panels poking out in the front next to the lights. He mentioned that the fix for that would be some body shop work. I was like, what!?! They told me at delivery that the fix was easy and the panels were just tightened too much! Now they're telling me that the last car that came back from the body shop looked worse than mine! I was kinda annoyed at this point. :( I told him I'd be extremely disappointed and would expect a new car if it looked worse when I get it back. $62K+ after everything is NOT cheap for me and I absolutely expect better!

After this the rest of the items I pointed out he seemed less concerned about. I'll go over these things in more detail in a later post. In the end he said just the body work would take about two weeks and the rest of the stuff would depend if they have to get new parts. When he said I'd need to get a rental, I asked if they had any model S' available and he said no there's so many people getting service that they're going through Enterprise rental car now.

In the end, he surprised me when he brought out a Model S. I'll give my experience in the following post when I get a moment to write it up.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Placeholder for details about build issues for my Model 3.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
He mentioned that the fix for that would be some body shop work. I was like, what!?! They told me at delivery that the fix was easy and the panels were just tightened too much!
Note that (re-)positioning of panels counts as body-shop work. So both statements may be correct.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome back :)

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Note that (re-)positioning of panels counts as body-shop work. So both statements may be correct.
Good point, but 2 weeks of body shop work sounds to me like significantly more than re-positioning. At this point I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and expecting they're going to do things right and when I get my car back it'll look like how I expected it to look when I took delivery. I'm just frustrated that Tesla is letting these defects out the door! I'm not sure what the percentage is, but my hunch is near 100% of cars are going out with at least minor defects and Tesla is hoping people won't notice/care.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Placeholder for my reaction to your placeholders. Jk ;)

Looking forward to your follow up.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good point, but 2 weeks of body shop work sounds to me like significantly more than re-positioning.
Most body shops have a backlog of work. They're never quite sure how long each individual vehicle will take, and they don't want to sit around with nothing to do, so they make sure they have enough vehicles to work on.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good point, but 2 weeks of body shop work sounds to me like significantly more than re-positioning. At this point I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and expecting they're going to do things right and when I get my car back it'll look like how I expected it to look when I took delivery. I'm just frustrated that Tesla is letting these defects out the door! I'm not sure what the percentage is, but my hunch is near 100% of cars are going out with at least minor defects and Tesla is hoping people won't notice/care.
I have a suspicion it’s a high number, but certainly not 100%. That said it’s funny — for some reason if this was BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, etc. — we wouldn’t accept or expect cars with uneven panel gaps. We do for Tesla. For better or worse. I’m not saying they get a free pass by any means, but the freak out or buying decision doesn’t seem to mind. Now eventually their QC has to get better as they extra cost on each vehicle they tinker with after delivery will be too high.

Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a suspicion it’s a high number, but certainly not 100%. That said it’s funny — for some reason if this was BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, etc. — we wouldn’t accept or expect cars with uneven panel gaps. We do for Tesla. For better or worse. I’m not saying they get a free pass by any means, but the freak out or buying decision doesn’t seem to mind. Now eventually their QC has to get better as they extra cost on each vehicle they tinker with after delivery will be too high.
Absolutely. They need to get the QC together otherwise repair costs are just going to be plain ridiculous.

I was thinking about this, and my $15k 2001 Hyundai didn’t even have uneven door alignment, dents, or blemishes on curves that my 2018 $63k car has. I do feel I am giving Tesla a bit of a pass, as this is part of first production brand new model - “growing pains” and all. However, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a car to be free of said issues. Everyone else does it, Tesla needs to get it together and fast. Not bashing Tesla, this is just more of a ‘matter of fact’ statement.

When I took my car in initially, my advisor said they had got in 50 cars the day before. I had to park 10 cars back away from the service entrance as they just had cars parked everywhere. When I picked up my car (no service done) a week later still looked the same. It really feels like the service centers are struggling to keep up with service needs after the Model 3 launch. I feel bad for them as they are trying to fix what should had been caught and handled at the factory.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a suspicion it’s a high number, but certainly not 100%.
So I know 100% seems like I'm exaggerating, but literally haven't heard of a single person taking delivery of a Model 3 that didn't have issues after inspecting it closely. Sure if you ignore the problems or not worry about them then they don't count for Tesla, but to me they still count as defects.

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Last jig stop might improve the worse issues but no way they are going to slow down that line for quality once it's running. Think suppliers, parts piling up and cars waiting to get fixed. They prefer having cars needing to get fixed in your driveway and the money in the bank.
I can understand that.
I chose to wait a bit to put my reservation in exactly to prevent this kind of situation (where you're getting a car that is not to your liking) but I am still unsure what I will be getting.
I think their approach should be (and it's kind of what they are doing) not to create frustrations with quick and bad repairs but take their time and satisfy the customers who paid good money for the product.
I know I wouldn't mind waiting if they'd take in my request and give me a date when they garantie it's going to be fixed in a timely manner and not wait for months driving an enterprise car because they need a part.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Absolutely. They need to get the QC together otherwise repair costs are just going to be plain ridiculous.

I was thinking about this, and my $15k 2001 Hyundai didn’t even have uneven door alignment, dents, or blemishes on curves that my 2018 $63k car has. I do feel I am giving Tesla a bit of a pass, as this is part of first production brand new model - “growing pains” and all. However, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a car to be free of said issues. Everyone else does it, Tesla needs to get it together and fast. Not bashing Tesla, this is just more of a ‘matter of fact’ statement.

When I took my car in initially, my advisor said they had got in 50 cars the day before. I had to park 10 cars back away from the service entrance as they just had cars parked everywhere. When I picked up my car (no service done) a week later still looked the same. It really feels like the service centers are struggling to keep up with service needs after the Model 3 launch. I feel bad for them as they are trying to fix what should had been caught and handled at the factory.
Yea, I totally agree. The service center I went to had hundreds of cars in the lot and many of them were Model 3s. It's obvious that there is a major quality control issue going on at the factory. Hopefully it's all cosmetic and no bigger flaws!

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, what happened, did you send your car to the body shop? I just got back from my service center visit and was less than enthused with their findings. They said my charge port misalignment is "within specs"... so lame, and that my front door gap and taillight misalignment need 2 to 3 days, not weeks at least, in the body shop. Not sure I trust leaving at the body shop though. Like you said earlier, I don't want it coming back looking any worse. Overall, the car is sweet, but the QC is definitely still an issue that needs to be resolved.

Rhaekar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, what happened, did you send your car to the body shop? I just got back from my service center visit and was less than enthused with their findings. They said my charge port misalignment is "within specs"... so lame, and that my front door gap and taillight misalignment need 2 to 3 days, not weeks at least, in the body shop. Not sure I trust leaving at the body shop though. Like you said earlier, I don't want it coming back looking any worse. Overall, the car is sweet, but the QC is definitely still an issue that needs to be resolved.
They said my front fender poking out by the headlight/ front bumper was within spec too. It's not that bad but I definitely notice. My cousin's 3 has the exact same thing but she doesn't care about it as much as I do.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
It's unfortunate to hear that some SC are claiming that customer complaints are "within spec". Do we know what the "official" Tesla alignment specs are for body panels? 1/8"? 1/4"?

Hopefully, Tesla's production ramp didn't force them to find under qualified QC employees like these:

21-Civil-Engineer-Transportation-Design-Bridge-Fail-500x350.jpg 382959ddf49e7b35f3517792db69b72b.jpg