1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Silver prototype a custom paint style?

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by everman, Jul 4, 2017.

More threads by everman
  1. everman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Colorado Springs
    I've loved the silver paint on the prototype ever since seeing at the Model 3 reveal last year. It always seemed much nicer than any other silver car I'd seen.

Then a few weeks ago at the VIP factory tour I remember someone saying they had spoken to the rep standing next to the prototype and he had mentioned that the silver paint on the prototype was a custom mix and was not going to be available for production.

Does anyone remember what was special about the paint job, and if there might be any way to get it aftermarket?

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    That's was me who asked the rep.

He said it was a highly labour intensive paint job done especially for the alpha car. Consensus is that it's what is known as "hyper silver" which is a black base with silver painted over it. Not really conducive to high volume paint production in this scale.

What I can say is the silver on the Model S and 3 is plenty beautiful and unless you could put the alphas beside it to compare you shouldn't worry about it.

3. everman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks Trevor! I don't know if you remember, but we were in the same VIP lunch. I stopped over at your table and briefly introduced myself and thanked you for the show and work you put in. Thanks for the reply and keep up the good work! Here's hoping I can manage an invite to the handover. Do you know how those attendees will be selected?

• Like Like x 1
    • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
      Staff Member Founder
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Aurora,Ontario
      Country
      Yes I do remember you! I'm glad to be of help and I hope to attend the delievry event on the 28th