So, I put a hotspot in my Model 3, and 30 min later...

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Rick Steinwand

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About 3 weeks ago a buddy of mine put a wi-fi range extender in his house and connected his Model 3 to it and within 20 minutes had an update.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
A maybe obvious note to those trying to use iOS device as hotspot but thought I'd post it here for some who may have gotten caught out in this issue -

iOS devices stop advertising their SSID very quickly if there is no device connected
If you activate, then connect Tesla.. once you lock the door and the car sleeps it disconnects and the iOS device will stop advertising SSID
When Tesla wakes up, no SSID, no WiFi connection

So in order to "trick" the iOS hotspot to stay active.. you need a 3rd device ...
In my case I took a spare old iPhone, connected it to my iPad hotspot in the car.. started streaming some music on the iPhone..
Connected Tesla, locked doors and walked away
30min later I had the update

Guess I will do similar to pick up some map updates as well