So, will BMW go bankrupt after this accident?

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by victor, Feb 13, 2018.

More threads by victor
  1. victor

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/l...d-bmw-wouldnt-stop-95-indian-river/329924002/

Will BMW recall all X5 now?
    And with no autopilot to blame the only way for them is to go bankrupt. :p

Nothing unusual but I see a pattern here. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    #2 jsmay311, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Seems super fishy odd.

BMW's response:

"Based on the articles we have seen, the scenario described is implausible to BMW and we would be happy to work with the Florida State Police to investigate the cause of this incident.

BMW drivers have long been able to rely on integrated safety systems that help ensure safe operation of every BMW vehicle. All BMW vehicles, including the 2003 X5 described in this incident, employ an electronic accelerator pedal which uses software logic to override the accelerator whenever the brake pedal is pressed while driving. This fail-safe software means that if the vehicle detects that both pedals are depressed, the on-board electronics will reduce engine power so that the driver may stop safely.

Furthermore, the accelerator pedal in BMW vehicles is hinged at the bottom, and mounts to the floor. Therefore an object or floor mat cannot slide under the accelerator pedal and jam it. Original BMW floor mats are custom-fitted for each vehicle, and are installed with anchors to keep them properly located in the front footwells of each vehicle.

The vehicle could also have been stopped by two additional means: By placing the transmission in neutral and coasting to a stop and/or by shutting off the ignition without removing the key. This is accomplished by turning the key counterclockwise. The engine would have shut off and the driver could have safely coasted the vehicle to a stop."

http://cbs12.com/news/local/dashcam-video-shows-dramatic-steps-to-stop-runaway-bmw

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I realize it's a stressful situation, but if the accelerator ever becomes stuck, just stomp on the brake pedal. It should win any battle against the motor turning the wheels. And as BMW points out, any fly-by-wire system is going to allow the brakes to win a battle. To design it differently would be insane.

I think this is another situation of a person stomping on the accelerator, thinking that it was the brake pedal. It happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Griff

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Car and driver (or one of the other big magazines) did a test after the Toyota debacle, that showed that the brakes will overpower the engine on every car tested.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Twiglett

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    so basically - every single unintended acceleration is the driver using the go pedal to stop.
    If you're hitting the brake it will always prevent the engine/motor from moving the car.

6. c2c

c2c
    M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I wouldn't pass judgement too quickly.
    In 2016 i was waiting in a line to board a ferry boat, in my wife's 2008 Acura RDX with tech package, when suddenly the engine spun up and stayed at 5700 rpm. We were stopped, with my foot firmly on the brake. I shifted into neutral, but the tach stayed on 5700. I turned the ignition off, but each time i restarted, the tach went straight to 5700. I tried tapping the accelerator, like i did in the '70s for stuck mechanical throttles, to no avail. On the 4th restart, the engine behaved normally. I have an engineering degree (15 patents), a single engine land pilot's license, and a motorcycle endorsement. I like to think i know a thing or 2 about machines. I always look for obstructions to the brake or throttle, and the floor mat was hooked into the proper location, clear of the pedals.
    Took it to the dealer and they found nothing. I paid about $800 to replace the engine computer, that being easier to replace than my wife.
    Had it happened to my wife alone, there would be all manner of open questions.
    The way my problem returned to less than a needle's width on the tachometer, i know it was a logic issue, but not repeatable.
    And yes, that poor soul could have used brakes, shift lever, and ignition to exit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. victor

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
  8. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    o_O:rolleyes:

Sounds like someone blew past a state trooper, and in that split second decided on the ol' "unintended acceleration" excuse to get out of a speeding ticket. I hope it was worth the four blown tires and shot rims.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. arnis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    If it was diesel engine, it is possible to have stuck fuel pressure adjustment valve. But switching off ignition would kill the fuel pressure anyway and computer will kill injectors in case of incorrect fuel pressure. Turbo fail is also possible, but it would result in massive smoke cloud and it continues for up to 4-5 minutes (not possible to stop). AFAIK, X5 was not sold with Diesel engine in US.
    It's safe to turn the key to OFF without removing it. It's safe to push and hold the START button for 5 seconds.
    It's safe to push brakes ONCE, hard. WIthout letting go/tapping.