Someone PLEASE explain this photo for me...

Discussion in 'Tesla Discussions' started by KarenRei, Jul 5, 2018.

1. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    [​IMG]

That's Jim Chanos. The Alpha and Omega of Tesla short selling. Being photographed for a fawning puff piece about his cufflinks by Business Insider reporter Linette Lopez (author of many of their most famous - and famously inaccurate - anti-Tesla hit pieces, frequent supporter of Chanos, and a prominent supporter of accused Tesla sabateur Martin Tripp, accused of paying him to leak insider info).

A picture of Jim Chanos. For a fawning puff piece about his cufflinks. Taken in someone's kitchen.

Someone's middle-class, floral-wallpaper, Ikea-chair, totally-not-billionaire kitchen.

What on Earth was Jim Chanos doing being photographed for a puff piece about his cufflinks in someone's kitchen?

Please, someone explain this for me, because there's some sort of story here just begging to be told. And I don't want people jumping to "they're sleeping together", because that's unfair, and people probably wouldn't be so quick to jump to that if said short-seller was a woman and the reporter was a man. But just writing that off, what on Earth is he doing there? I'm struggling to find a reasonable explanation and I'm drawing a blank. Yes, Linette has written multiple pieces about partying with Chanos, but those were in public places, and there's nothing unusual about them happening to be in the same public place together. But in someone's kitchen? You don't just randomly stumble into someone's ktichen. When was the last time you had some random billionaire that you didn't really know posing for cufflink photos in your kitchen?

Please, someone give me an innocent backstory to this one, because it's burning a hole in my brain.

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Hardly innocent, but I think that's more likely a suite at a Las Vegas hotel, not a kitchen.

3. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #3 KarenRei, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    He's standing next to a kitchen-style bar. Behind it there's a countertop with normal-looking kitchen drawers. There's a normal "kitchen window" sized windows above it. There's a normal kitchen floral wallpaper on the wall (looks like sunflowers.. like this). There's what looks to be a coffee machine and coffee or tea in different coloured packets on the countertop. There's a gap in the countertop that looks like a sink. I can't see this as anything other than a normal suburban kitchen. If it's a hotel, it's got a kitchenette that has home-style kitchen decor and styling. I've never in my life seen a hotel that has "kitchen windows" in the kitchenette. The kitchenette is generally on the hall side, windows are on the bedroom side. And hotel windows don't look like that, they're generally much larger, not small "look out while you're washing the dishes" affairs.

That said, even if it were a hotel, there would still be so much wrong with this picture existing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I can't add anything except to say that it doesn't look like any Las Vegas Suite I've seen. Personally, my brain kind of shut down when I saw his wrinkled wrist. I don't think he has long to live.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dr. J

Private
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Slow news day? Press deadline with no ideas for a story? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LoboMesa

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    That was my reaction too. Is that a hand? A wattle?? Maybe it's not even Chanos but staged?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Lovesword

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    All I know is I just did a currency exchange and that coin is worth 15 cents... anyone care to guess how much he paid to have it turned into a cufflink? Is there any more proof needed that this guy is an absolute moron?

Or maybe this is a picture of an elephant reaching into a peanuts bag with its trunk.

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    That photo just got a lot more interesting.. it's a very good point that you'd not expect a guy like that to me in a random middle-class home. I've never had a billionaire in my home haha. The cabinets make me think of what we had in the house I grew up in.. a house that was worth 85k on a good day.

9. Dr. J

Private
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Can't both be true? :p

Fell out of my chair when I got to the end of your post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Jayc

Expand Collapse

Country
    Hmm I think Ms. Lopez has no place to run. The cult is everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Model 3 Owners Club © 2018. All rights reserved.
Model 3 Owners Club (M3OC) is an enthusiast club and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or the Tesla Motors Club Forum (TMC).
All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.