Something haywire when navigating back in Safari

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@TrevP - I noticed this evening there is something going on in safari (11.0.1). When pressing the back button (or swiping back with gestures) instead of going to the previous page, it will inch up the page to a previously read post. In looking at the current history under the back button there are a dozen versions of the same page showing.

I've tried some other sites and they are acting normally, as are other browsers here. Was there something that was changed that would affect Safari today?

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 7.45.54 PM.png

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting...

I use Safari on my MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, and iPhone. I haven’t experienced this, but will keep an eye out for it.

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Could be a bug in the new Safari. Nothing has changed on the site software

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Probably related:

If I turn on network monitoring and then scroll down the page of a thread, I see two network requests being sent out for each little "click" of the scroll wheel. Both go to facebook, and both look very similar. Here's an example:

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/v2.4/plugins/like.php?action=like&app_id=186434405077130&channel=https://staticxx.facebook.com/connect/xd_arbiter/r/18W0fzbK7xg.js?version=42#cb=f3e853aa687757&domain=model3ownersclub.com&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fmodel3ownersclub.com%2Ff227811c2c50ce&relation=parent.parent&color_scheme=light&container_width=400&href=https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/something-haywire-when-navigating-back-in-safari.5095/&layout=standard&locale=en_US&sdk=joey&show_faces=true&width=400
This also has the side-effect of the page appearing to go back to the "loading" state every time I scroll the page. It's quite annoying to see the "reload" button in chrome transitioning back-and-forth between "stop" and "reload" like that.

It looks like the facebook plugin is behaving *very* badly. Consider removing it.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a non Facebook user, help me understand, why would there even be a Facebook plugin here?
At the bottom of every page are buttons that allow you to share that page on one of Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Each company has some standard javascript that your site can include to add these buttons to your site.

In this case, the javascript that's been added for Facebook support seems to be much more intrusive, and it's actively tracking various user actions on this website.

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
At the bottom of every page are buttons that allow you to share that page on one of Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Each company has some standard javascript that your site can include to add these buttons to your site.

In this case, the javascript that's been added for Facebook support seems to be much more intrusive, and it's actively tracking various user actions on this website.
Nasty, I'm going to disable that

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Facebook sharing has been disabled. Let me know if it's better now
MUCH better in chrome now. Scrolling no longer results in any sort of network access.

It looks like you also removed the G+ button in addition to the Facebook "Like" button. Twitter still appears for me.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
does anyone use the buttons on the bottom of the page (do you have stats on them?) vs just copying the address?

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Feel like a dinosaur reading this exchange... ;)
I use my iPhone 6Plus with latest iOS upgrade & my thumbs version October 1957 ! :D