[Speculation] Version 9.0 insights

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

MrMatt

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got of the phone with a Tesla rep about a bug I filed (BT related) and he gave me some great intel into the next 9.0 release coming!
  1. Final testing now, due in August fleetwide
  2. Major new UI including affecting all parts including a streamlined navigation (something he called TeslaMaps, know it?) including 'neutralized' icons, a new voice for nav and a new database of info. Less clunky (not sure if that's visual or operation)
  3. Will address a lot of bugs/requests
What have you guys heard?

justflie

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Nice report, thank you. I wonder how long the rollout will take. It certainly seems to come in dribs and drabs. This is one part of the wait before delivery that I love, watching my car get better over time before I even have it!

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Think we'll ever get apple CarPlay?
I doubt it especially given the importance of the screen to Tesla. I would like Apple Music capability though my current setup works just fine in my opinion.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never known how that looked really to others. Usually just shows up in my texts. A few years back someone sent that, I captured it and save it as a short cut on my phone for the word apple  - Didn't know how the great WWW handled it, if it sent the image for all to see or it seems it leaves the receiving machine to do the translation in some way. Still not sure since some of you see an  and some don't.

To say the least I'm OK if Tesla stays neutral in this implementation.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I've never known how that looked really to others. Usually just shows up in my texts. A few years back someone sent that, I captured it and save it as a short cut on my phone for the word apple  - Didn't know how the great WWW handled it, if it sent the image for all to see or it seems it leaves the receiving machine to do the translation in some way. Still not sure since some of you see an  and some don't.
I looked up the character. Apparently it's 0xF8FF. The unicode range 0xE000 - 0xF8FF is described as "Private Use". Apple is using this private space to mean "The Apple Logo", but it's not standardized - anyone can assign characters in that range to mean anything that they want. More to the point, non-Apple entities probably couldn't even display that as the Apple logo even if it were standardized as such, without permission, as the Apple logo is trademarked.

But, back to the topic of how you're a fan of what does ;)

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What would you gain from apple car play? Apple maps is still pretty bad and there's no way Tesla would allow them anyway. You can already stream music from your iPhone wirelessly via bluetooth with all of the track metadata and album art. I think choosing a song on your phone is a lot quicker and easier but that's just my opinion. To be fair though, Georgia just passed a law that doesn't allow you to interact with your phone unless it's mounted so that may be helpful here. However, what I think would be better is integrating google assistant or siri into the car so you can play songs on your phone without touching it. Right now, it switches to Slacker if you use voice control which is unfortunate because they don't have the library that Spotify has. Don't think that will happen anytime soon though.. Maybe that new Tesla music service will be great though.

beantownrich

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Others have pointed out there was a screenshot on tesla.com that looked different from the current release, which seems to line up with some of the information in the OP...

View attachment 11489
I'm sure it's just a mockup, but I really hope they don't move things like Homelink all the way to the right side of the screen. I'm already bummed about how far I have to reach just to change music source. They should really make items move contextually. Or ideally, the entire left side wouldn't show up unless you were engaging Auto Pilot.

For example, if I'm just driving around maybe my music or other options could display where the vehicle is and if I'm able to engage Auto Pilot a large indicator would show up. Then, when engaged, my music would shift over and Auto Pilot would take over the left side like it currently does.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
My biggest problem with voice commands is... I don't think that if I tell it to play, for example, "Hleypið Mér Út Úr Þessu Partýi" eftir Jónasi Sigurðssyni og Ritvélum Framtíðarinnar, I don't think that it's going to understand me so well, or have the song in its library even if it did ;) Let alone if I wanted the version of the song where a MP from the Pirate Party used their parliamentary time to cover the song on the floor of the Alþingi ;)

(It's a protest song... the chorus translates as "We struggle to loan money... to others... to keep the consumption going. To buy new things... for others... to keep the expansion going. And this endless work... for others... to pay for the party.... And you never come up to breathe.", then it transitions to people shouting objections that promote the status quote, followed by, "I SAY NO!")

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I looked up the character. Apparently it's 0xF8FF. The unicode range 0xE000 - 0xF8FF is described as "Private Use". Apple is using this private space to mean "The Apple Logo", but it's not standardized - anyone can assign characters in that range to mean anything that they want. More to the point, non-Apple entities probably couldn't even display that as the Apple logo even if it were standardized as such, without permission, as the Apple logo is trademarked.

But, back to the topic of how you're a fan of what does ;)
If you're ever on a Mac (or iOS device with physical keyboard), you can type it by pressing Option+Shift+K.

Last edited:

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
If you're ever on a Mac (or iOS device with physical keyboard), you can type it by pressing Option+Shift+K.
I avoid finding myself in that situation. When my wife has a problem with her Macbook Pro I make up an excuse for having to be somewhere else. She made her bed, she can sleep in it too!