1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Speed Assist

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by atebit, Mar 9, 2018.

1. atebit

Event Horizon II
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I guess this is as-designed, but why doesn’t Speed Assist automatically adjust to changing speed limits without me having to try to touch a tiny speed limit sign on the display?

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Because it is an “assist” feature and you should be involved in the driving enough to be bothered to do this maybe?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. atebit

Event Horizon II
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Maybe. But should I be bothered to pass vehicles, maintain following distance under cruise, parallel park, etc., too?

Not trying to be snippy but why selectively define “assistance”? The car already knows the speed limit and under adaptive cruise can change speed, so why not just offer the option to connect the dots?

4. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Were you not asking specifically about “speed assist”?

5. atebit

Event Horizon II
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I am. You asked about being involved in driving. If the car limits/removes my involvement for those things, why not speed assist too?

6. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It sounds like "Speed Assist" is just a feature that warns you when you go over the speed limit, correct?
    [​IMG]

Are you saying that it *doesn't* change the warning limit automatically?

7. atebit

Event Horizon II
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    From the M3 Manual:

How Speed Assist Works
    When the Speed Limit Warning is turned on,
    the touchscreen displays a speed limit as
    determined by GPS data. You can touch this
    speed limit sign to automatically change the
    set speed to the detected speed limit
    (including any
    offsets
    that you have set).
    Warnings (described later) take
    effect
    when
    you exceed this limit.

The ask is why not have the option to automatically adjust vs having to touch the sign?

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I was thinking you were speaking to TACC and it (not) reacting to a new speed limit.

either way, remember the software is still very much in development and there are things still being worked out by Tesla's programmers. things like this, using the scroll wheels for more actions, etc (like rear seat heat) will likely be changing in the coming year.

essentially, they tackled the most critical software features to get the car out there and are backfilling the niggly bits as they can

9. Cernie

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Great question...I thought the same. As you know, there is a setting that allows you to set the adaptive speed limit when you activate the speed limit assist (i.e. in my case...8 miles above the speed limit). This triggers the speed limit when you activate the speed assist but as you point out...it doesn't change if the speed limit increases (I do think it does it when the speed limit decreases on my Model S...haven't paid attention on the Model S). In the Model S, increasing the speed is as simple as toggling the stalk on the steering wheel. On the Model 3, that is not the case. I heard there is a rumor that they may change speed control to the stalk on the Model 3 through a software update but I haven't seen that anywhere for sure. Regardless...It seems like it would be an easy software update to have truly adaptive speed limit control based on speed limit when the speed limit increases (like there exists when the speed limit decreases on the Model S). Is there a place somewhere that one can send user suggestions to Tesla (...a site that actually pays attention to them)?

10. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I understand now. Good question.

This sounds like yet another case of "the software isn't quite complete yet".

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. LucyferSam

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I suspect it is because it uses GPS/map data for the speed limit signs and they are not all that reliable. There are decent sized stretches by me that have the wrong speed limit showing, either under or over by 5mph as the limit shifts on the interstate around cities. Once they have the camera's reliably reading speed limit signs cross referenced with GPS and map data, it may be reliable enough to have them automatically adjust to the current limit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    True, but the same feature is available on the Model S and X, and it sounds like it *does* update automatically on those cars (if I'm reading things correctly). So I've got to believe that if the feature doesn't work the same way on the 3, it's because they haven't completely finished the software yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jsmay311

Expand Collapse

Country
    I don't think that's accurate based on my reading of the Model S manual:

upload_2018-3-9_10-51-24.png

"Cruising at the Speed Limit

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control makes it easy to cruise at the speed limit. You can cruise at the speed limit that is currently being determined by Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 97). To do so, pull the cruise control lever toward you. When you release, your cruising speed is set to the speed that is determined by Speed Assist, taking into consideration any offset you have specified. If you are already driving faster than the speed limit when you pull the lever, the set speed does not adjust to the speed limit—it adjusts to your current driving speed.

Note: When you adjust the cruising speed based on the speed limit, the set speed does not change when the speed limit changes. You must pull the cruise control lever again to cruise at the new speed limit. You can also manually adjust your cruising speed at any time (see Changing the Set Speed on page 79)"

On Page 78: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I think it will be a good enhancement that when I set my relative speed for EAP that as speed limits change for the max speed to change accordingly. At least as a configurable option.

15. LucyferSam

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Definitely agree, and it will be critical for the on-ramp to off-ramp functionality that EAP is supposed to get to, but it needs to be reliably accurate first as right now it's a recipe for speeding tickets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Very cool how this works!

17. atebit

Event Horizon II
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Meh not that cool seeing as you have to take your attention off the road to poke at a teeny tiny icon.

I’d take the lever tap as a workaround until the car does this itself. Maybe in the same update where they fix the streaming issues.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    If you’re in autopilot, the split second look to tap the speed limit is a non-issue in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. atebit

Event Horizon II
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Wait till you have progressive lenses. o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Brett

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Honestly this is the first time I've had any sympathy for the "you'll have to take your eyes off the road to use the touchscreen" argument. You gave me a new perspective, thanks. Though, I hopefully won't have to worry about that for at least another 10 years.

Model 3 Owners Club © 2018. All rights reserved.
Model 3 Owners Club (M3OC) is an enthusiast club and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or the Tesla Motors Club Forum (TMC).
All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.