Speed Assist

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 10th and still qualify for the $7500 US federal tax credit until December 31 for orders placed before November 30 as all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess this is as-designed, but why doesn’t Speed Assist automatically adjust to changing speed limits without me having to try to touch a tiny speed limit sign on the display?

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe. But should I be bothered to pass vehicles, maintain following distance under cruise, parallel park, etc., too?

Not trying to be snippy but why selectively define “assistance”? The car already knows the speed limit and under adaptive cruise can change speed, so why not just offer the option to connect the dots?

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am. You asked about being involved in driving. If the car limits/removes my involvement for those things, why not speed assist too?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess this is as-designed, but why doesn’t Speed Assist automatically adjust to changing speed limits without me having to try to touch a tiny speed limit sign on the display?
It sounds like "Speed Assist" is just a feature that warns you when you go over the speed limit, correct?

Are you saying that it *doesn't* change the warning limit automatically?

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From the M3 Manual:

How Speed Assist Works
When the Speed Limit Warning is turned on,
the touchscreen displays a speed limit as
determined by GPS data. You can touch this
speed limit sign to automatically change the
set speed to the detected speed limit
(including any
offsets
that you have set).
Warnings (described later) take
effect
when
you exceed this limit.

The ask is why not have the option to automatically adjust vs having to touch the sign?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was thinking you were speaking to TACC and it (not) reacting to a new speed limit.

either way, remember the software is still very much in development and there are things still being worked out by Tesla's programmers. things like this, using the scroll wheels for more actions, etc (like rear seat heat) will likely be changing in the coming year.

essentially, they tackled the most critical software features to get the car out there and are backfilling the niggly bits as they can

Cernie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great question...I thought the same. As you know, there is a setting that allows you to set the adaptive speed limit when you activate the speed limit assist (i.e. in my case...8 miles above the speed limit). This triggers the speed limit when you activate the speed assist but as you point out...it doesn't change if the speed limit increases (I do think it does it when the speed limit decreases on my Model S...haven't paid attention on the Model S). In the Model S, increasing the speed is as simple as toggling the stalk on the steering wheel. On the Model 3, that is not the case. I heard there is a rumor that they may change speed control to the stalk on the Model 3 through a software update but I haven't seen that anywhere for sure. Regardless...It seems like it would be an easy software update to have truly adaptive speed limit control based on speed limit when the speed limit increases (like there exists when the speed limit decreases on the Model S). Is there a place somewhere that one can send user suggestions to Tesla (...a site that actually pays attention to them)?

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I understand now. Good question.

This sounds like yet another case of "the software isn't quite complete yet".
I suspect it is because it uses GPS/map data for the speed limit signs and they are not all that reliable. There are decent sized stretches by me that have the wrong speed limit showing, either under or over by 5mph as the limit shifts on the interstate around cities. Once they have the camera's reliably reading speed limit signs cross referenced with GPS and map data, it may be reliable enough to have them automatically adjust to the current limit.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suspect it is because it uses GPS/map data for the speed limit signs and they are not all that reliable.
True, but the same feature is available on the Model S and X, and it sounds like it *does* update automatically on those cars (if I'm reading things correctly). So I've got to believe that if the feature doesn't work the same way on the 3, it's because they haven't completely finished the software yet.

jsmay311

Country
Country
True, but the same feature is available on the Model S and X, and it sounds like it *does* update automatically on those cars (if I'm reading things correctly).
I don't think that's accurate based on my reading of the Model S manual:

upload_2018-3-9_10-51-24.png

"Cruising at the Speed Limit

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control makes it easy to cruise at the speed limit. You can cruise at the speed limit that is currently being determined by Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 97). To do so, pull the cruise control lever toward you. When you release, your cruising speed is set to the speed that is determined by Speed Assist, taking into consideration any offset you have specified. If you are already driving faster than the speed limit when you pull the lever, the set speed does not adjust to the speed limit—it adjusts to your current driving speed.

Note: When you adjust the cruising speed based on the speed limit, the set speed does not change when the speed limit changes. You must pull the cruise control lever again to cruise at the new speed limit. You can also manually adjust your cruising speed at any time (see Changing the Set Speed on page 79)"

On Page 78: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it will be a good enhancement that when I set my relative speed for EAP that as speed limits change for the max speed to change accordingly. At least as a configurable option.

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it will be a good enhancement that when I set my relative speed for EAP that as speed limits change for the max speed to change accordingly. At least as a configurable option.
Definitely agree, and it will be critical for the on-ramp to off-ramp functionality that EAP is supposed to get to, but it needs to be reliably accurate first as right now it's a recipe for speeding tickets.

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Meh not that cool seeing as you have to take your attention off the road to poke at a teeny tiny icon.

I’d take the lever tap as a workaround until the car does this itself. Maybe in the same update where they fix the streaming issues.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Meh not that cool seeing as you have to take your attention off the road to poke at a teeny tiny icon.

I’d take the lever tap as a workaround until the car does this itself. Maybe in the same update where they fix the streaming issues.
If you’re in autopilot, the split second look to tap the speed limit is a non-issue in my opinion.

Brett

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait till you have progressive lenses.
Honestly this is the first time I've had any sympathy for the "you'll have to take your eyes off the road to use the touchscreen" argument. You gave me a new perspective, thanks. Though, I hopefully won't have to worry about that for at least another 10 years.