Speedometer and critical displays

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Firepower

Anyone notice, there was no speedometer, or turn signal indicators, odometer, battery meter, warning lights etc? Only the center display, if they plan to try and pack everything in one screen, I think it's a HUGE mistake, and would be very distracting and uncomfortable watching your speed towards the center of the car vs straight ahead in your direct line of sight. I hope I am missing something here, I never heard anyone ask the question, nor did I hear any discussion whatsoever in all the videos.

JeffinAZ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone notice, there was no speedometer, or turn signal indicators, odometer, battery meter, warning lights etc? Only the center display, if they plan to try and pack everything in one screen, I think it's a HUGE mistake, and would be very distracting and uncomfortable watching your speed towards the center of the car vs straight ahead in your direct line of sight. I hope I am missing something here, I never heard anyone ask the question, nor did I hear any discussion whatsoever in all the videos.
In Elon we trust!

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
In many ways yes, however, until I actually get to sit in one of them, I am not convinced.

I am going to assume there is some type of HUD available as well for the major things.

I agree on the HUD. I think and 'hope' this is the way Elon is going. Hopefully this is revealed in Stage 2. It would also add to the 'Tech Edginess' that has always been classic Tesla.

Ski

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Best answer for now is its not done and we'll see how they address these valid questions in phase 2.

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Thats a legit response to nearly every question, thought, or suggestion on this site.

That type of response kind of defeats the purpose of this forum though, does it not?
lol, so the "In Elon we trust" was better then ?

Fair enough. Im a fan of the HUD approach. Ive liked them on the lower tech cars for years and never understood why they didnt take off.

Tesla recently hired Milan Kovac, the former principal engineer developing a in helmet HUD at Skully Systems. I'm pretty sure model 3 will have either a HUD or a holographic display.

Thalass

I'm thinking a HUD, plus maybe some kind of wide, short LCD along the dash. Like that electric porche had. That would be spaceship-like. Especially if everything had a LCARS UI.

You'd just get used to looking to the centre screen. Heaps of cars have had a central display. Mini, Fiat Bambino, Citroen Xsara Picasso, Saturn Ion, Toyota Yaris, Scion xB.

With the Auto pilot safety features you can set the speed limiter so you don't really need to keep to much notice of the dash.

The indicators are an interesting point though. Maybe they'll be visible in the wing mirrors.

Gary Moore

Country
Country
Since Tesla has hired Felix Goddard, who worked on the Porsche Misson E concept electric sports car, that white stripe across the dash seen in both the silver and red prototypes which were shown at the First Reveal may actually become a projection screen for some instrumentation. (See more via link below)

http://electrek.co/2016/04/11/tesla-interior-designer-porsches-mission-e/