1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Stability of red paint

Discussion in 'Design' started by DomD, Apr 5, 2016.

More threads by DomD
  1. DomD

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal
    Any of you owner of a red model S or X? How stable is the color? I've seen a lot of red cars with the color fading or changing to pink over time.

2. Reggie

Expand Collapse

Principal Consultant
    City & State/Province:
    Fort Worth
    Not a Model S owner, but there is a gentleman a few doors down from me with a Red Model S (I believe his is the 2013 newer red and not the older Red) and it looks great. A local dealership to me is selling a 2012 Model S in the older Red and it looks great as well. We only have 4 years of the model S, but if they are using the same paint as what the roadster has, which is a bit older, those are holding up very well.

3. Model 3 lover

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    PA, USA
    Do you see that color on photos or in-person? I know sometimes when I take photos on red car(not Tesla), the images turn to pink, because of the camera lens.

4. Zachary LaVoie

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    MA, USA
    This issue is typically caused by sun bleaching. You'd be hard set to find a manufacturer that sells a $70k+ vehicle whose paint would fade within a few years. I haven't seen any Teslas with faded paint. It's usually and issue with cheaper, older cars, like old Honda Civics, Toyota Corollas, or Ford Focus'.

5. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Argyle, Texas
    Country
    DomD.
    I know what you mean. I have seen this before. In fact my Mother had a Red Chevy PU that did that. But with a wash and lots of elbow grease, it mostly buffed out. Still, I would like my 3 in the Red I see on the showroom floor (if I can't get Signature Red), but everytime I see one on the road, they seem not as deep of Red color. It seems like outside, they look more like the heart at the bottom of this page, then the Red color of my Avitar.

6. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Automotive paint is colored with a pigment. This is a non-organic mineral. It does not bleach. What it does do is oxidize. the oxide of the mineral is not the same deep color as the original pigment. Clear coat is normally used on top to retard oxidation. Using a mild abrasive removes the layer of oxidized pigment on the top of the paint. This can be done until you run out of un-oxidized paint, presumably for the life of the car.

7. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    I don't think that the paint on the Roadster is the same as the S. The Roadsters were done with Lotus and painted in the UK, I believe...

The Model S is painted in Fremont, CA.

Our environmental requirements for paint make the Model S (and X, and probably the 3) very soft... As such, I would always recommend that you apply your choice of paint protection... (we wrapped the Roadster and S, probably not going to do the 3...)

Though I haven't seen many faded red Model S, it does happen. At yesterday's Annual Meeting, a couple of fellow OC Club members were talking about an "abused" Signature Red S that they saw earlier that was faded. Not sure what the story was for that, but 1 out of thousands, not bad.

8. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Don't have any first hand experience but @AEDennis is correct. CA environmental laws result in paint that is rather lacking in hardness. Tesla's paint jobs are excellent but the quality of the paint is not the best.

If you value your paint job I highly recommend paint protectors.