1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Standard features - base model

Discussion in 'Design' started by Daymolton, Apr 8, 2017.

More threads by Daymolton
  1. Daymolton

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Denmark
    I wonder What features will the standard version of model 3 have. Here is what I hope to see as standard in base model with no add-ons:

Keyless entry
    Heatet frontseats
    Electric adjustable frontseats (for driver profile)
    Electric adjustable steeringwheel (for driver profile)
    Auto folding mirrors
    Light in the ceiling for backseats
    Air vents for backseats
    Electric windows front and back
    Speakers in backdoors
    USB charging for backseats
    Cloth seats
    No interior ambience lighting besides ceiling lights.
    Remote app control

What do you think? Is it to much to ask for a vehicle in that pricerange?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. InElonWeTrust

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    CA
    Country
    Not a bad list. I doubt we will see heated seats and USB charging for rear. Otherwise, seems all likely imo

3. Daymolton

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Denmark
    yes.. Maybe the heatet frontseat are only included in the winterpackage.

I'm worried that maybe the electric adjustable steeringwheel and seat, are not standard.. I really wish they are, so we can have driver profiles..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. InElonWeTrust

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    CA
    Country
    I think the steering wheel will be manual but driver's seat electric likely. Either way gonna be an awesome car!

• Like Like x 1
  5. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I don't think there will be auto folding mirrors.
    heated front seats - yes
    heated rear seats - optional
    auto power seats/steering wheel - optional or not an option. leaning toward thinking they will be manually adjusted power seats and manual mechanically adjusted steering. leave the driver profile as a S/X perk
    Overhead lights - yes. that's pretty much in every car currently made.
    Ambient lights - maybe optional, maybe not an option

regarding adjustable seats - my current car has manual (non powered) adjustments and the seat, steering wheel and door are aligned in such a way that I push the seat all the way back every time I get out of the car (otherwise I can't get my feet & knees thru the door opening). So for the past nearly 6 years, roughly 4000 times I've adjusted the seat position. It's become a muscle memory automatic thing, like pushing in the brake and clutch before turning the key.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @MelindaV , like you, I'd expect electrically ajustable seats (certainly on the driver side) yet no standard memory seats in this segment. Power foldable mirrors should at least be an option. They are on every Beemer...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. RickDeckard

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Longueuil Québec
    Country
    We saw a video of a release candidate being followed by a BMW (3ish?), if thats not a coincidence and they look at this BMW as what the Model 3 should favourably compare to, then maybe looking at the standard options on that type of car might give a ball park idea?

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Yep. It was a 328i... Am with you!

9. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississauga
    Country
    Elon has repeatedly said Model 3 is meant to compete with tge BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class. Both have power adjustable front seats but heated seats are an option. Still inclined to think they will be included on the front.

10. Daymolton

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Denmark
    Looked at the standard features of a BMW 320i ($33.450) It has manual seats, and manual sidemirrors.. So maybe that is also what we should expect on the cheapest Model 3.. My current car is a Renault Zoe, so I think I will be happy with the base model 3 no matter what.. Here in Denmark the basemodel 3 will cost about the equivalent off $ 64.000 due to taxes, that's why I hope the base model is well equipped. Even the basemodel will be 3 times my normal car budget..

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gilberto Pe-Curto

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Almada, Portugal
    Country
    Heated Front Sets on base model doesn´t make sense for some countries, like here.
    I had heated front seats on one car only, and turned it on less than 10 times a year and for the first 5 minutes only.
    After the A/C warms up the cabin, it does not make sense anymore.
    So, I would not like to pay (base config.) for something that I don't need...
    But that's just me and other folks that live in warmer climates...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    In a combustion vehicle, heat is a natural by-product of the motor running. You get heat for free.

In an electric car, that heater uses your battery. You end up with less range. In an electric car, it makes sense to include heated seats by default, and for the passengers to prefer to use those instead of turning on the cabin heat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Gilberto Pe-Curto

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Almada, Portugal
    Country
    Ok, I get your point.
    But in EVs isn't the natural way of heating the car when is charging before using ?!
    It's what I see in ModelS users...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    It's an option, sure. But if your trip is longer than 10 minutes, you'll need to supplement the pre-heating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Randy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    St-Thomas, Ontario
    Oh... the pleasure of driving in a country that only needs a heated vehicle 10 times a year. I live in the southern most portion of Canada and find the need to use heat for 6 to 7 months of the year. Although the heat price to pay comes from the battery, heated seats use much less electricity than heating an entire auto's cabin. I would like heated a steering wheel added to that list. I can assume to keep costs down for the base model, only one electric adjustable front seat would be offered. Electric adjustable steering wheels and auto folding mirrors are, in my opinion, unnecessary perks for a base model. In Canada all but the very cheapest autos come standard with keyless entry and electric windows. I believe that power windows will be standard as a mechanical window regulator is heavier and more complicated than a simple electric device. The USB ports shouldn't add to the cost as it would probably be more expensive/complicated (Inventory control) for the company to have a different interior trim pieces and wiring harnesses than just to include that for all vehicles. Hopfully we will soon see how much Tesla offers in there base model. My hope that to keep things simple ,Tesla includes quite a bit on there base choice vehicle.
    Randy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I would run a seat heater year round. It could be 95F outside with the AC all the way up and I still would like the seat heater to be on :sweatsmile:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississauga
    Country
    Never had one until we bought a Hyundai. Now I won't be without it. It makes so much difference when it is really cold to have that instant warmth. Curious to see what the new vent system is like.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kendthomp

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora, CO
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    My Mini Cooper S has heated seats and during the coldest part of winter here in Colorado, my butt is warm long before the windows defrost. I wouldn't be without them.

I've noticed pictures of MS with a defrosted area around the forward facing camera with the window still frosted over. My question is how well does the defroster work on the rest of the glass and do they also have heated rear window defrosters without buying the cold weather package?

19. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    the rear defrost is standard (has been a requirement on US cars since 1974)

20. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    I decided to check the Features Listing for one of the Model ☰ competitors, the Lexus IS, because it is among the more 'luxury' oriented brands. Here's what they chose to focus upon:

Paddle-Shift Transmissions -- Advanced paddle-shift transmissions put the exhilarating performance of the IS models at your fingertips.
    The 2017 IS Line -- The boldly restyled IS line not only turns heads on the road, it even refuses to go unnoticed while parked.
    All-Weather Drive -- Standard on the IS 300 and available on the IS 350, all-wheel drive helps provide enhanced traction and control.
    Lexus Safety System+ -- With the most comprehensive safety system ever offered on the IS, security comes standard.
    10.3-inch Multimedia Display -- The new, larger 10.3-inch display makes everything from the Lexus Enform App Suite to the full-screen navigation map, a stunning viewing experience.
    Performance Driving Modes -- Customize your dose of adrenaline. Drive Mode Select enables you to make your IS more responsive or efficient with a simple turn of a dial.
    F Sport Performance -- Exclusive F SPORT features take the thrilling performance of the IS to the next level.
    Lexus Enform -- With Lexus Enform, peace of mind, convenience and entertainment are always within reach.
    Touch-based Climate Controls -- Change the cabin temperature with a swipe of your finger.
    F Sport Styling -- Aggressively restyled, the IS F SPORT is designed to stimulate the senses, inside and out.
    Supercar Instrumentation -- The customizable digital instrument cluster in the IS F SPORT models was inspired by the LFA supercar.
    Headlamp Design -- New LED headlamps feature intelligent high beams, maximizing illumination of the road ahead.
    Exceptional Service Experience -- At Lexus, service is more than just taking care of your vehicle. It's making sure you're taken care of throughout the entire ownership experience.

I don't see anything there that I would expect to be curiously or conspicuously 'missing' from the Model ☰. In fact, I don't see much worth noting as a 'feature' at all. Do you guys?

• Agree Agree x 2