Standard Range in 2018?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m hoping that all Day 1 US reservation holders will get a shot at having our cars delivered in 2018 in order to take advantage of the full $7,500 federal tax credit.
Agreed. I'm confident SR deliveries will start at least by December. Unlike last year where December deliveries were at a trickle, the whole pipeline and delivery system will be ramped up to pump them out. I think a good chunk of day 1 will definitely get delivery before the end of the year.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
For Tesla, I think it comes down to... they'll want to turn a profit in Q4, and preferably one meaningfully larger than Q3 (although not "large"). Once it's clear that they can get that with SRs in the pipeline, I'm sure they'll open it up.

Country
Country
I believe that Tesla will indeed do the right thing:
  • Do right by its most loyal customers by qualifying day 1 US reservationists for the full $7,500 federal tax incentive (in case bill H.R.6274 doesn’t pass)
  • Do right for its own survival and success by achieving positive cash flow while accelerating growth

Country
Country
Im good with this. How do we convince Tesla?
The best way to reach Elon - tweet!! We in this forum should get together for a tweet storm!

Base Model 3 deliveries should be prioritized for day 1 US reservationists.

Edit: Moderators, would it be okay to create a new thread to organize a tweet storm to Elon Musk? TIA

Last edited:

RoadToLevel5

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I think the sooner the demand for LR weakens, the sooner we will see SR enter production. At the same time, Tesla knows that many will opt for LR in 2018 over SR in 2019 to maximize tax incentive, which will create demand for LR that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think the sooner the demand for LR weakens, the sooner we will see SR enter production. At the same time, Tesla knows that many will opt for LR in 2018 over SR in 2019 to maximize tax incentive, which will create demand for LR that wouldn't have existed otherwise.
IMO, there will not be any weakening of demand for LR, Tesla will be able to sell as many as they can make for at least 2 more years and that won't change until production numbers exceed 9,000/week. The Model 3 is not on most peoples radar yet and Model 3 owners are the primary "sales force" (according to the most recent earnings conference call). So why would demand weaken when your primary sales force is growing by 20,000 people/month?

I do think Tesla will release the SR version to satisfy existing reservation holders but it wouldn't make sense to make many more than required to do that. Also, people opting for the $35K version will, on average, have lower incomes than those buying $50K-$80K cars. And people with lower incomes can't use the entire $7500 tax credit, they may be able to maximize the value of the $3750 credit that runs from January through June. That is where I expect most SR deliveries to occur. Then they will be in short supply again as Tesla focusses on filling the demand for cars with higher margins. Tesla has a lot of debt to pay down.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The current configurator for Model 3 says "Standard Battery available in 5-8 months"

Jasper

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I wonder if that means "available to configure" or "available for delivery". Even if it's the latter, it's cutting it very close to end of year.
I’m a day one line waiter and I’m hoping the SR will be available soon. I cannot afford what’s being offered now and also cannot take full advantage of the $7,500 but should be able to get about $3.750.
My lease is up October 31st and I’m sure there’s no chance to take delivery of a SR by then. Possibly would be able to use my parents car since they’re in their mid 80’s and only use their car twice a month.

Was also pondering by the time the SR is available, how much would a used LR cost.

I’d register the new car in California so I’d get $3,750 Federal and $2,500 California.
If I could buy a low mileage long range car for not too much more than a new short range, maybe that’s a better option. And if I bought used since I have residency in both CA and AZ, I’d register it in AZ so there’s no sales tax, and title/registration is only about $40 Total.

RoadToLevel5

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The hope for getting an SR in 2018 in order to take advantage of the full tax credit is slowly fading. :disappointed:

SR is estimated to be "available in 3-6 months", making it available in January, at the earliest.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The hope for getting an SR in 2018 in order to take advantage of the full tax credit is slowly fading. :disappointed:

SR is estimated to be "available in 3-6 months", making it available in January, at the earliest.
Tesla has been saying early 2019 since the previous Quarterly call, maybe even a little prior to that, so think it will be very unlikely many, if any, are delivered in 2018