Strategies to update with no WIFI access?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 10th and still qualify for the $7500 US federal tax credit until December 31 for orders placed before November 30 as all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

MattyB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi!

Because of where I have to park in my condo building, there is no way my car will have regular access to WIFI unless my building decides to wire the parking garage, which may happen in 3-4 years after enough cars use it, but thats for tomorrow. I got my first few updates over LTE, but they have stopped now, and Tesla support says you MUST be connected to WIFI now to get future updates. They also told me have have 2 updates and a map update queued up, which I have not gotten yet, so I guess they are serious about the WIFI-only moving forward.

Their "sugguestions" included calling Tesla support regurlarly to see if I have any updates queued, and if I do, go sit at a Starbucks WIFI and hope they come down. Side note, does anyone know how to predict if they will?? I actually tried that last night, and even though I know I have 3 queued, none of my updates came down. The other suggestion was to schedule a visit to my service center where they can manually update the car -- also not appealing.

Has anyone with a similar situation come up with a work around?

Thanks!

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suggest putting your phone in "hotspot" mode, and then connecting your car to your phone's wifi hotspot.

Parking somewhere that offers free wifi (or at a friend's house) is also a fine alternative.

I know the map updates require wifi (because they're really large), but this is the first I've heard a Tesla rep suggest that firmware updates require wifi. I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Ed Woodrick

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Updates don't just magically come down when you are connected to Wi-Fi. There's some magic behind it, but you generally need to be connected for a period of time before they will come down. (that seems to be hours)
What about connecting to Wi-Fi at work?
I was on vacation last week and had to put my hot-spot in the car overnight for the update to come down.

Maybe some Wi-Fi extenders in the condo garage could help.

JasonF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hear you can go to any Tesla service center and ask them to push you an update while you sip coffee in the waiting room.

You also can buy wifi extenders that are so powerful that you're bordering on Ajit Pai stopping by and smacking you with that giant Reece's mug (something like AVACOM Wireless Extender). Depending on the distance, that might be enough to get your car a weak wifi signal on 2.4 ghz (5 is likely out of the question, it doesn't like concrete). Make sure it's a "guest network", though, so anyone who figures out the password can't hack their way into your condo.

M3OC Rules

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some condo buildings in my area put in wifi in the name of safety because there is no way to call for help. We've had 2 cars stolen from our garage and I was unsuccessful in getting them to do it but I did a poor job debating it so your mileage may vary. I have been connecting at work but once they stopped with the LTE updates I started getting the updates slower. I have tried hotspot from my phone but it hasn't gone well. It connects but drops it for some reason. Other computers seem to be ok on it so who knows. It would be nice if we could get some insight into this queue. I think the problem with Starbucks is the speed could be really slow. It kind of sounds like Tesla won't bother with slow connections and its going to take forever even if they do.

Rick Steinwand

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I put an old wireless router in my garage and a wireless bridge in my LR window and the other one in my garage by the door (inside the wall) to beam wi-fi to it. Total run is line of sight and about 100 ft. Works great.