Suggestions, can't see through 20% window tint on back window

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 31st all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
Country
Country
Hi everyone, I'm curious for those of you who have had the rear window tinted what tint % did you get? I decided to do 20% on front/rear/back windows but even on a sunny day it's very hard to see anything out the back window. I had 25% of my old car and visibility out the back wasn't much of an issue.

I know the upper portion of the back glass is tinted from the factory, does the lower portion have any factory tint on it? Since it's so much darker than the sides I figure it either had some default tint already or perhaps it's just a result of the steeper angle when looking through the back vs. the sides that makes it seem so much darker.

I'm debating having the rear tint removed and replaced with something lighter but I have no clue what % would allow me to see through it enough without having no tint at all.

Suggestions?

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have 20% on the back and 35% on the front, I think.

If it’s too dark for you, I think the only thing you can do is go lighter.

hamtonp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi everyone, I'm curious for those of you who have had the rear window tinted what tint % did you get? I decided to do 20% on front/rear/back windows but even on a sunny day it's very hard to see anything out the back window. I had 25% of my old car and visibility out the back wasn't much of an issue.

I know the upper portion of the back glass is tinted from the factory, does the lower portion have any factory tint on it? Since it's so much darker than the sides I figure it either had some default tint already or perhaps it's just a result of the steeper angle when looking through the back vs. the sides that makes it seem so much darker.

I'm debating having the rear tint removed and replaced with something lighter but I have no clue what % would allow me to see through it enough without having no tint at all.

Suggestions?
I think it's possible the tint shop used a different tint for the back window.
When I brought my car in to get tinted, I asked for 30% all around and on top. After they did the side windows, they realized they need a big sheet to do the back. They only had 20% tint in that size. I went ahead and gave them the okay to do 20%. Although it's darker than I would have liked, I think don't think it makes that much of a difference. I can still see out the back fine.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Depending on the tint — it could be even darker than 20% where as your 30% could be lighter. For instance usually ceramics appear lighter than the rating. I would start by double checking what they used on that rear and make sure it’s not a dye tint (those fade/change color and also appear darker).

I’m very happy with 30% as I’ve had 15% and 20% previously but my eyes at night aren’t great and those are too dark for me at this point.