Summon not working?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging until FERUARY 1 2019 all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them this code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • Join @TrevP for Cars and Coffee in South Florida on Feb 3rd! More details here.

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

byee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Been getting this for the last two days. Previously everything was working and I was able to pull the car in and out of my garage but now I get this error message and also noticed Homelink stopped working. Going to try and delete my Homelink settings and start over to see if that helps but wondered if anyone else experienced this.

Attachments

GDN

Remember
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If Homelink was working, you might just try the two button reboot before having to set up Homelink again. There have been reports of a reboot fixing a non working Homelink issue.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Summon will not work for me when my phone and car are connected to WiFi. If I disable WiFi on my phone summon will immediately work.

Derik

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Summon doesn't work for me either.. No matter what I do I can't get it to work. I look all over the app and there just isn't anything I can do.

But then again I'm still on 21.9

byee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If Homelink was working, you might just try the two button reboot before having to set up Homelink again. There have been reports of a reboot fixing a non working Homelink issue.
That fixed Homelink, thanks for the tip!

Trying to get Summon working again, tried disabling wifi on my phone but still no luck...

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got car back today after the drive unit died (!) and got replaced. While in shop got updated firmware, now on 26.3 be4b11e.... first time I had summon!

But it works for ****. Homelink at least. No matter what I do, when pulling *into* garage (nose first) it will work perfectly, parks itself and then closes door.

When doing the opposite, however, it doesn’t open the door, it just starts backing out and I have to manually stop to keep it from ramming the garage door....

Tried the 2 button reboot and taking both car and phone off WiFi, no luck...

Any ideas?

Jayviator

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Exactly how close are you letting it get to the garage?
I noticed that my 3 would get close, stop, then use homelink to open the door. continue out.
First thing you need to do - as the 3 is moving backwards, look at the screen and confirm if the sensors are detecting the door. Also your app should indicate that it is operating homelink.
Alternatively - you can grab a big cardboard box, open the garage door, and place the box a few feet behind the bumper. Activate summon and see how it reacts to the box. It should stop before hitting the box, and then activate the garage door. After a few seconds the car should continue out after you've move the box.
**Make sure you or the box is in the way of the garage safety beam so the door doesn't come down. You should just get the garage door light flashes that indicate the signal was received but something was blocking the path. THEN move the box completely so the car will continue out.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it just me (or my software) or is summon really as bad as it is for me? (I'm at 26.3 BTW...back level, but not tremendously so).

Summon works extremely unreliably for me. I'll go to the app, go to summon, wait for it to connect, and most of the times it just sits there trying to connect to the car (I'm standing right next to it BTW). Back out of summon, back in. Same thing. Kill the Tesla app, get back in, go to Summon again, okay, now it connects to the car and I have the FORWARD and REVERSE. Click the appropriate button. Parking brake comes off, lights blink, STOP button appears. Car doesn't move. And then it says something along the lines of disconnected from the vehicle and the RECONNECT button appears. Click RECONNECT, wait for the car to reconnect...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When it does I get FORWARD and REVERSE again. Click the appropriate one. Car disconnected and RECONNECT button appears again. Eventually if I am very persistent I can get it to work eventually after several minutes, but seriously, at that point, what's the point?

And that's just trying to get it to work at all. I've noticed that when I am outside my garage and my wife's car is in the garage I have to have the Tesla lined up PERFECTLY or it chickens out once I do get it to actually start backing in the garage. If I'm aimed even slightly off center towards her car, the Model 3 refuses to go more than a couple of inches. This kind of defeats the main reason I want to use summon, which is to back the car into the garage so I can charge it (my charging cable is not quite long enough to reach the front of the garage--charging station is located on the interior wall).

I am very disappointed with the operation of summon, particularly getting the app to consistently connect to the car quickly and robustly. Is anyone else having as much difficulty as me? Is there a particular side of the car (or front or back) that I need to be standing? Any other advice?

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This has been my experience mostly too. Though when it finally connects, it normally works okay. I think it worked better when I first got the car, than on 26.3.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe the summon feature communicates with the car over the LTE connection. I'd guess it has to have a bluetooth connection to the car as well so it knows you are there but standing close should not make a difference. How strong is the LTE at your house and have you tried it in other locations? I have trouble with it in some places but not in others. I also find that if I wake the car up first by pulling a door open then closing it that it helps the app to connect quicker. Sometimes it works perfect for me, other times more like what you describe above. Would be great if it were more reliable.

Bernard

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it just me (or my software) or is summon really as bad as it is for me? (I'm at 26.3 BTW...back level, but not tremendously so).

Summon works extremely unreliably for me. I'll go to the app, go to summon, wait for it to connect, and most of the times it just sits there trying to connect to the car (I'm standing right next to it BTW). Back out of summon, back in. Same thing. Kill the Tesla app, get back in, go to Summon again, okay, now it connects to the car and I have the FORWARD and REVERSE. Click the appropriate button. Parking brake comes off, lights blink, STOP button appears. Car doesn't move. And then it says something along the lines of disconnected from the vehicle and the RECONNECT button appears. Click RECONNECT, wait for the car to reconnect...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When it does I get FORWARD and REVERSE again. Click the appropriate one. Car disconnected and RECONNECT button appears again. Eventually if I am very persistent I can get it to work eventually after several minutes, but seriously, at that point, what's the point?

And that's just trying to get it to work at all. I've noticed that when I am outside my garage and my wife's car is in the garage I have to have the Tesla lined up PERFECTLY or it chickens out once I do get it to actually start backing in the garage. If I'm aimed even slightly off center towards her car, the Model 3 refuses to go more than a couple of inches. This kind of defeats the main reason I want to use summon, which is to back the car into the garage so I can charge it (my charging cable is not quite long enough to reach the front of the garage--charging station is located on the interior wall).

I am very disappointed with the operation of summon, particularly getting the app to consistently connect to the car quickly and robustly. Is anyone else having as much difficulty as me? Is there a particular side of the car (or front or back) that I need to be standing? Any other advice?
Same, well, actually worse, here. Best duration so far between reconnect and disconnect is under one second, no change to the screen, nothing. That's standing next to the front door of the car -- just back-and-forth reconnect-disconnect-reconnect-disconnect... Have not seen the command screen so far. (I am on 26.3 as well.)
Do we know what it uses for connection? LTE? Wifi? Bluetooth? if more than one of these is possible, in which order does it try them?

inspron

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sometimes I could connect to the car and ready for summoning in under 10 seconds.

In the morning, 100% of the time it takes 5 minutes + to wait for summon be ready for use. Tried disabling wifi to see if it's more reliable on LTE only but that didn't help. Still can't figure it out.

Also on 26.3

aronth5

Country
Country
Sometimes I could connect to the car and ready for summoning in under 10 seconds.

In the morning, 100% of the time it takes 5 minutes + to wait for summon be ready for use. Tried disabling wifi to see if it's more reliable on LTE only but that didn't help. Still can't figure it out.

Also on 26.3
I have the same behavior and also on 26.3

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow. I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one this is happening to. I figured it was my phone or something but I get the exact same issues and I'm on version 28.1. I feel like when I first got summon mode it connected very consistently but now it's not even usable.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the exact same problems. My M3 is on 28.2 and 50% of the time I can't get it to connect. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason as to why it works one time and not another time.

When it does work, even then its disappointing. Like you said it has to be lined up EXACTLY perfect for it to park into my garage, and even then a few times out of the blue it turned the wheels and started heading straight for my kids power wheel toys even though the path to the parking spot in the garage was open and it was aligned, all it had to do was literally go straight.

I've about given up on Summon which is unfortunate because my garage is tight and the ability to summon would have been very convenient.

dannyskim

And that's just trying to get it to work at all. I've noticed that when I am outside my garage and my wife's car is in the garage I have to have the Tesla lined up PERFECTLY or it chickf yens out once I do get it to actually start backing in the garage. If I'm aimed even slightly off center towards her car, the Model 3 refuses to go more than a couple of inches. This kind of defeats the main reason I want to use summon, which is t io back the car into the garage so I can charge it (my charging cable is not quite long enough to reach the front of the garage--charging station is located on the interior wall).

Pretty much same experience on my end as well. It's virtually useless to me at this point in time.
The only place where I have found it useful was when I parked at a charging port and wasn't close enough, so I used summon to back the car up a bit more rather than getting in.

BTW, if you go into the car and go to Driving -> Autopilot -> Customize Summon you'll be able to set:

Bumper Clearance down to 8"
Summon Distance up to 40ft
Side Clearance
Require Continuous Press
Use Auto Homelink

Dangermouse

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Similar for me.

I rarely use it for it's function (usually only to get out of a tight parking space); more often I use it as a parlor trick for folks. That's actually worse IMO...you don't want your "hey check this out" moment to fail and look buggy, it only hurts the perception of the car.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Yes, it's odd because my phone works perfectly 100% of the time as a key but when using summon I only have a slightly better than 50% success on the first try. It often just hangs there saying "connecting" but eventually gives up. This is in an area with decent cell reception. Of course the "phone as key" doesn't require any network connection so maybe it's not too surprising I'm only having problems with the cellular

The only sense I can make of this is that, due to the greater consequences of a dropped connection, the app won't connect and allow functionality unless it tests the network latency and signal strength and finds it robust.

The other issue I've identified is that when a successful summon command has been issued, and I get in the car to drive, the mirrors are still folded and I must manually enter a menu command to unfold them. My self-folding mirrors are set to never fold (except on my wife's driver profile).