Summon only on the flat?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

woodisgood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My understanding is that Summon currently only works on relatively level ground. Is this true?

I've been too chicken to try to use Summon to pull into and out of our narrow garage, but this is a feature that would be really welcome if it is workable. Our driveway is only a few feet longer than the M3 (yay urban living) and slopes upward. So the M3 would be driving up this slope into the garage and reversing downhill coming out. The part that makes me scared to just try it is that we live on a very busy street, so if the car were to roll backwards for some reason (I've read reports of rolling during Summon operations) it would quickly cross the sidewalk and be in the street, likely causing death and destruction.

Am I correct that this is a scenario which Summon would not currently be able to handle and even more so, be dangerous? And beyond that, do you think Summon will eventually be able to handle this use case?

zjz

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
i tried using summon on a hill and it just says that summon is unavailable when you press the forward/reverse button

Derik

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried it over the weekend from my driveway. It isn't flat by any means and it worked on that. I did get a couple failed attempts or it started then instantly aborted. I just tried again and it worked going up the driveway.

Now I can't figure out how to keep it to hug one wall when there isn't a 2nd car in the garage. But then again, that's not really the point of summon.

pacific dunes

Country
Country
i have the same issue going into my garage. The garage is flat, the driveway has a slight angle up. Summons works fine once the front wheels are in the garage.

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I use summon to pull in and out of my garage which is so narrow that it is difficult to get out of the car once it is parked in there. It does a better job at parking in the garage then I do . I also have a sloped driveway but it is a gentle slop so I am not worried about rolling. My car always seems to be very cautious and in contorol when using summon. Now if I could get the phone to connect reliably that would be wonderful.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My understanding is that Summon currently only works on relatively level ground. Is this true?

I've been too chicken to try to use Summon to pull into and out of our narrow garage, but this is a feature that would be really welcome if it is workable. Our driveway is only a few feet longer than the M3 (yay urban living) and slopes upward. So the M3 would be driving up this slope into the garage and reversing downhill coming out. The part that makes me scared to just try it is that we live on a very busy street, so if the car were to roll backwards for some reason (I've read reports of rolling during Summon operations) it would quickly cross the sidewalk and be in the street, likely causing death and destruction.

Am I correct that this is a scenario which Summon would not currently be able to handle and even more so, be dangerous? And beyond that, do you think Summon will eventually be able to handle this use case?
My driveway is a 10% grade down to the street. I summon out of garage and down that grade. It stops at my setting of 28 feet. Then I summon up the drive into the garage and it stops 20" from front of garage, another setting.

Last edited:

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like to use summon to back out of the garage, but I'm having problems each time i try it. right where the garage closes there is a small lip or bump that the car has to go over. this lip is essentially where the garage seals so that no water can come in from the pavement. its about a 3 inch raise or so.

what keeps happening is the car first stops at that bump backing up. then i tell it to keep going and the back wheels get out of the garage, but no matter how many times i try the front wheels won't go over that small lip.

other than this little lip the driveway is flat.

anyone else have similar problems?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Its a hit or miss with summons on my galaxy s7 phone. When it connects it backs out of the garage fine but most often it cannot push it over the 2 inch lip into the garage. It did a couple of times but most of the time it tries and then quites. I am going to try and see if holding down the forward button will make it in the garage. I have no other issues with homelink. It opens and closes just fine.

I have a two car garage with one door. We only park the tesla in it in the middle. The settings on the summons are set to defaults. Am wondering if I change the narrow space to normal will it make it into the garage since it doesnt have to deal with other car parked in the garage? Will post results tonight..

Last edited:

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ok so after some research into the garage lip problem it seems quite widespread. This YouTube video helped fix the problem for me:

I spent around $14 and it took two small door molding boards but this works almost every time now.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the manual does specify it only works on flat pavement, crossing a garage slab difference of no more than 1".

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the video. After playing with it for a while, it now seems like it's making over the lip into the garage. I will try the molding approach if I have problems with it. Thanks.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just tried it on my sloped driveway for kicks. The driveway slopes downward from street level at an even ~12% grade.

With the car facing uphill, summoning in reverse (downhill) consistently works without issue. Summoning forward (uphill) moves the car forward about 2-3 inches before aborting with the message "Summon is stopping".

So, based on the other observations made in this thread, it would seem that the maximum slope that Summon can handle is somewhere around 10%....?