1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Supercharger Network behind schedule?

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by bmost88, Aug 5, 2016.

More threads by bmost88
  1. bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
    City & State/Province:
    Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
    So I only bring this subject up because I've been following Tesla for about 4 years now and I always pay attention to their supercharger network because for me the biggest issue with electric cars is range anxiety (that issue is long since past and I WANT MY MODEL 3!! :)) That all being said, I look at the map we have on the forums here and I look at the Tesla predictions for 2016 and cant help but think that they have a long way to go for the rest of those chargers to all get placed and a lot of those locations don't even have permits. I mean I've seen some of these sit in the permit/construction status for several months and some of the ones on the Tesla map when compared to the map on the website don't even have permits yet.

Just opening up a discussion btw, I have no actual proof or statement to suggest they are behind schedule.

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Working in architecture, I can tell you some locations take a rediculous amount of time for permits. Some locations may be hung up by zoning issues that need to be changed before permits can be applied for. It's a lot more than simply walking into a building department and out with an approved plan for more and more jurisdictions.
    At the Tesla Electric Roadtrip event I went to yesterday, one of the tesla reps mentioned the number of new Superchargers coming on line each week, and I can't remember what that number was, but it was a double digit number. And destination chargers were a higher number. She also mentioned the SC map is updated once a week, with new locations added when they are nearing completion in grey, then updated when open. So tesla is building out the system. They don't appear to be updating the 'future 2016' locations page, so don't watch it.

3. WaitingForTesla

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country
    Which maps are you referring to?

4. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    I'm hoping we see a SC explosion in 2017 as yeah it's a smidge sparse in some places. I have a friend that lives in Illinois and we talk about the M3 a lot and there is few charging options near him. He'd have to drive into St Louis. He's talking about a new car but I'm not pushing him yet with limited charging options. Around me the options are plentiful. I've got a 5 stall SC within 3 minutes of me and a level3 going in 5 minutes from me.

5. bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
    City & State/Province:
    Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
    The specific area I'm referring to with my question is the I-44 stretch from Tulsa OK to St. Louis MO. Being from St. Louis originally but living in Dallas now, road trips to St. Louis are a very real possibility. But ever since I've been following Tesla since about 2013, I've noticed a huge gap in the supercharger network on this stretch and if you remember the Tesla site a few years back used to have a 2015 - 2016 outlook buttons rather than the current 2017 and I remember that stretch being filed sooner than its showing now, though I guess its possible that it could still be done in 2016. I would really not want to have to drive from Dallas - Oklahoma City - Omaha - Kansas City - St. Louis when I could take I-44 and save a few hours of the drive. The construction and permit locations for Rolla, MO and Springfield MO have been in that stage for some time and their 2016 map on the website shows what appears to be another supercharger in Joplin yet we don't even have a permit for that location yet.

6. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Supercharge.info lists 28 new Supercharger US locations having opened, most with 8 stalls each, since the Model ☰ reveal. so that's about 58 stalls per month.
    Another 16 sites are under construction in the US and 14 US sites in permitting. Since supercharge.info is all user fed info, it only captures the sites people have found permit info on, so there may be additional sites that have not yet been discovered.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
    City & State/Province:
    Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
    Great info thanks!

I was just playing around with Google Maps and the trusty supercharger map we have on this site and I came up with this.

It's 10 hrs 14 mins from my place in Texas to my folks place in St. Louis. (693 miles)

To get from here to there I'd have to travel from Dallas to Oklahoma City to Tulsa to Springfield to Joplin to St. Louis if not to ever exceed 206 miles and to get to each supercharger (or the ones coming soon) along the way.

Using the Charging Estimator on the Tesla website and accounting for each section of the trip and adding 20 miles per charge to figure out the fudge factor, I came up with 2 hrs 23 mins of charge time for the trip, and that means I'd be getting to St. Louis with a full charge. You could argue that I wouldn't need that since I could charge at my destination and save 20 mins or more off that so lets just say 2 hrs of charge time.

All in all it takes an extra 2 hrs to travel from Dallas to St. Louis for me and I would pay nothing for gas. That equates to about $50 an hour if you say $100 for gas in a normal car. $50 an hour, ill take it.

9. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @bmost88 - but how many times would you stop to re-fuel a gas car? or stop to eat or find a restroom? there is some economy of time to do some multitasking while charging.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
    City & State/Province:
    Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
    I looked into that as well. I wont lie when I'm on the road driving I got one thing on my mind and that's getting to where I gotta go as soon as I can. It's not always the smartest move cause I know it is helpful to get out and walk around and take a short brake from driving, but I've driven from St. Louis to San Diego, CA stopping only for gas (and food/bathroom at the same time). Driving from Dallas to St. Louis I only stop one time and I can do it in just over 10 hours.

11. KirbyTurbo

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Denver, CO
    Please tell me you're not like my uncle who makes his kids wear diapers on the road trip just so he doesn't have to stop. His kids are 10 & 12 by the way.

12. bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
    City & State/Province:
    Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
    LOL nah no kids just me. If/when I make the long drives with my dog, he tells me when he needs to stop lol

13. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    It's probably weird but I'm looking forward to stopping more.. I'll have an actual reason to get out and stretch and not power thru it. Not sure if its my height, the car or both but I get super uncomfortable after the 2nd hour.

14. bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
    City & State/Province:
    Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
    I'm definitely looking forward to that too. I think it will actually open my eyes to all the things along my usual trips. Ill get to go explore a little bit more.

15. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    A lot of them are indeed held up with getting permits. The one in Kingston for example was held up because they needed a custom part that had to built. The one in Rivière-du-Loup is still held up in the permit stage.

16. Dragon

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Ever since I saw the 2016 predition map in late 2015, I've been anxiously waiting for Tesla to finish the string of chargers leading up to my wife's home town. Unfortunately, they've built none in the string the map promises. With only 2.5 months left in 2016 and that time crammed with 2 weeks people often take off for holiday vacations plus winter weather slowing construction, I'm very dubious they're going to finish that charger string.

In fact, I made a map of what they've accomplished so far and eyeballing it, it looks like they've only done 15-20% of what the 2016 map promises:

2016 predicted vs actual (blue are built as of Oct 10).jpg

Blue icons are chargers installed in 2016, red existed before 2016, and grey is what is predicted to be done by the end of 2016. Sorry the right edge of the map is cut off but it's based on a screenshot I took in Jan 2016 which didn't capture the right edge or the tip of Florida.

Back in Jan 2015 they showed a prediction of installed chargers by the end of 2015 and by Jan 2016 they had gotten pretty close to the prediction (maybe missing 20?) so maybe they'll still pull it off... but I'm worried!

17. Dragon

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    supercharge dot info has a "Charts" tab that shows their pace of building has been pretty steady the last few years in North America and it hasn't increased in 2016. Yet to meet their goal map, it HAS to increase quite a lot in the last 2.5 months of the year. Historically, they've never done such a sudden increase, so I don't know... They did have an increase in the last two months of 2014 but I don't think that level of increase would be enough. I know the all-hands-on-deck goal for Sept was to maximize deliveries, so maybe now they'll focus on superchargers, but I'm a little dubious.

18. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Being dependent on real estate deals, local jurisdictions/permits and local power companies makes it a little more difficult to hold to self imposed schedules. Not to mention in a time when construction is riding high and contractors can hardly keep up with their existing projects, and don't need to jump on every bid they find.