1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Superchargers Are Spreading!

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Dan Detweiler, Aug 11, 2017.

More threads by Dan Detweiler
  1. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    Anyone take a look at www.supercharge.info lately? Dang, that map is filling up in a hurry! Granted there are still "dead zones" especially in the mountain states but the coasts are exploding with new charge locations!

Dan

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • JWardell

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Boston
      Country
      I do go there every few weeks and uncheck Open stations to see what is on the horizon. Exciting to see all the development in the mid atlantic/NYC area, but I get the feeling in a few more months it will explode

• Like Like x 1
      • Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        New York
        Country
        Just so that everyone is aware, Tesla's supercharger network is amazing and expanding quickly but does is not without flaws. I would say that the NY/Long Island market is definitely in the top 5 markets for Tesla. There is a Supercharger in Syosset installed in 2014 with only 4 bays and is used by the Tesla service station also so is woefully small. As early as Oct last year, there have been charging problems such that if a bay opens up, it may charge slower than a NEMA 14-50. This has been reported multiple times and almost a year later, still has not been resolved. I am not aware of this happening anywhere else in the country but if someone is travelling to the Hamptoms or Montauk and is relying on this supercharger to continue their route, they will be extremely unhappy.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/supercharger-syosset-ny.26175/

• Informative Informative x 1
        • pggb

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Prince George
          Country
          I must say I am a bit disappointed with the SuperCharger roll out in Canada. As a Model 3 reservation holder, my closest Tesla store is in Vancouver BC. As it stands now superchargers are available in Vancouver, Hope, Merritt and Kamloops followed by level 2 and RV campground charging to Prince George.
          I see SuperChargers are now planned for Trans Canada Highway 1 West to East which is fantastic but selfishly i look forward to Highway 97 from Cache Creek to Prince George.
          I do plan to install a level 2 charger so i am not concerned about daily charging.
          If you own or plan to buy a Tesla in Northern BC please give an opinion.

• Brokedoc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          New York
          Country
          #5 Brokedoc, Sep 19, 2017 at 6:20 PM
          Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 6:26 PM
          Wow, I just looked up Prince George BC on the Tesla map and I would be REALLY worried about how you're going to drive your car home after you get it. The nearest destination charger is in Blue River which is 341km (236 mi) away but over mountainous terrain in cold weather territory. Even the long range battery may be an issue due to the terrain and the temperature. You would need to map out the campgrounds in your area that have NEMA 14-50 outlets and plan on making lots of long, extended stops. FWIW - You have free Level 2 superchargers at UNBC's parking lot.

I would encourage you to be a Canadian EV advocate like Trevor to raise EV awareness in your region. If you know any business owners of hotels, restaurants, bed/breakfasts, shopping centers, etc, point out to them the benefits of installing destination chargers at their location to attract a more upscale group of customers. Especially in your area where charging is so hard to find, a small investment by a business owner may pay off very well.