1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Supercharging (Model 3)> Free or Pay?

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Skione65, Apr 5, 2016.

More threads by Skione65
  1. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    All,

So it has been stated that Tesla and Elon have not decided whether to offer "Free Supercharging" to the Model 3 Owners. Only that Supercharging capability will be "made available."

(1) Will this decision be made before we 'pull the trigger' on Configuring in Design Studio and final purchase?
    (2) If not will this hanging decision affect whether you finalize your "purchase" or not?
    (3) If it's decided that Supercharging is NOT free....will you still Purchase or not?

I.E. How will this affect your Purchasing Decision.

Ski

2. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Argyle, Texas
    Country
    I think we all assumed it was included from reveal. But based on recent tweets, I went back and watched it again. During the reveal, the screen behind ELON said SUPERCHARGING CAPABILITY and he said "all model 3s will come with supercharging standard". So he, for some reason left out the word HARDWARE, that he used to describe the Autopilot. So IMO, it will be a cost to activate the Supercharging like on the old 60kw model S and it will also be a fee to turn on the Autopilot like the S and X today.

So,
    1 and 2) I think this decision is already made. Too costly to make free for this car. Something has to pay for new stations. These options will cost you.
    3) I don't road trip and I like to drive, so I will not pay to activate these features.

3. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    So .......

in the case of "Pay to Play"..... Do you think it will be a 'flat rate one time fee"? I.e. $1,000 added to the Model 3 purchase to 'activate' it for unlimited charging (what I'm interested in-unlimited) OR a "Turn on" and "Pay as you go" charging plan?

Ski

4. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Argyle, Texas
    Country
    IMO, it will be a turn on fee similar to the S. Since it is now included on those car, $1000 would probably be a number that is close, As for the Autopilot, that will be the same as the S, $2,000. But the safety aspects of the Autopilot hardware will be standard. Autobrake and such, since it will be required to achieve the new 5 star standards.

5. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
  6. Reggie

Expand Collapse

Principal Consultant
    City & State/Province:
    Fort Worth
    For me, since Supercharging is a requirement, I'm going to purchase it. I have assumed that the base model, like the 60kWh would not include it. I would suspect that the enabling cost would be closer to $1000 than the $2500 for the model S.

7. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    It's a requirement for me as well......so I'll be purchasing it as well. Maybe the 'Mid-Level' battery will include it.

Ski

8. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Has it ever come up that Tesla may offer the Superchargers on a pay-as-you-go model like the other for-profit chargers but at the Supercharger speed? Currently there is only one Superchargers operating within my typical travels (halfway point between Portland:Seattle for the 4 or 5 Seattle trips I make a year) and not sure for max of 10 charges a year it would be worth it at $1,000.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Van Shrider

Expand Collapse

Flavor Chemist
    City & State/Province:
    Ohio USA
    If it's not included, I'll be a little upset about it, but I'd have to buy it. Places to go, people to make jealous riding around in it. And from the looks of the map, we will have pretty good coverage by then.

10. LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Argyle, Texas
    Country
    I think they will include it in a higher capacity battery, but the base model will have to pay. Think of it this way....If it is $1000, that's 400 gallons of gas at $2.50. A nice mid size sedan may get 25 on the highway, so the first 10,000 miles of Supercharging will cost you like an ICE but after that it is free. :( But like Skione65 posted above, it's currently $2500 for a 60kw model S owner to activate. OUCH!

11. Örjan Lundberg

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Sweden
    Does the current Tesla have a charging meter? I guess it would be easy to do the billing due to the internet connection.

I have heard that a lot of people overuse the closest Supercharger especially Taxis so there is probably a need to do some kind of fee to get rid of the buffet syndrome (when people consume more than they actually need because something is free)

12. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #12 TrevP, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    None of the Superchargers have pay for use meters on them. All Tesla cars, other than Model 3, have free for life unlimited use as it is included in the price of the car. It would be too much for Tesla to retrofit the chargers with pay per use. What they could do instead is a billed system from them per use since they know which cars are plugged into the Supercharger system at all times as the VIN is recorded when you plug it in. All that information is sent back to Tesla in real time.

Gut feeling is that it will be either a paid-up front cost like the old 60Kwh Model S or they will just include it into the price of the Model 3. The last option is preferable for most and would be very much increase their sales. Time will tell.

13. Kayaktom

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Bartlett, Illinois
    Excuse my ignorance, as I've just recently put my reservation in and I'm not as proficient as many of you, but what go I gain by having SuperCharging? Simply time savings?

14. Ken Hixson

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Eagle Mountain, Utah
    Mainly the Superchargers are to allow for long distance travel between cities. During normal daily commutes you would probably charge overnight at home but if you were to travel to a city 300 or so miles away you would run out of charge before arriving at your location so a Supercharger is basically an "electrical" gas station to refuel. Another advantage to the Tesla Supercharger is it isn't a 110v outlet but a high voltage charger to make the refuelling as quick as possible. Destination chargers and home chargers take a little longer to recharge in most cases.

With free Supercharger access it means you can literally drive without paying any refueling costs. Some people if they are close enough can even avoid using home electricity (and paying your utility) by recharging at the free Supercharger. Most people will still prefer to recharge at home overnight for the convenience.

15. Van Shrider

Expand Collapse

Flavor Chemist
    City & State/Province:
    Ohio USA
    The guy at the showroom just said that you can count on supercharging being an optional add on, and emphasized the words SUPERCHARGING CAPABLE were on the screen behind Elon, and he intended to say or imply that the equipment would be installed on ALL cars, and you could add on supercharging later if you do not buy it upfront. . .much like the autonomous tech is built in every car for safety features enabled on ALL And all of the sensors are there ... So that if you don't buy autonomous feature now, you can activate later.

16. RandyS

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    San Diego
    In the past, Tesla has deliberately avoided the expense of a "per transaction" setup and associated billing. That's a lot of overhead that just isn't necessary...I think it's a pretty simple decision for the driver. If you take roadtrips, then you pay a flat fee for the supercharging service. If you don't take road trips, then you save the money and don't pay the flat fee. But the hardware will be included on every car and can be turned on with a simple one time payment.

I've taken a lot of road trips in my Model S...On separate trips we've gone to Canada, Texas, Colorado, the Grand Canyon, Lake Tahoe/Reno, etc. It's a lot of fun to do, and the charging is easy. I'll definitely be paying whatever the fee is to use the Superchargers...

17. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    I think its going to be an extra charge. Perhaps not the $2,500 they charged on the S60 but still an extra charge. Hard to maintain margins otherwise.

18. thecatdad

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mentor, Ohio
    #18 thecatdad, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to upgrade to the second on board charger to get faster charging from 240 vac?

**edit for quote**

"A Wall Connector is installed on a 240 volt circuit and can be supplied with up to twice the amperage as an outlet. At maximum amperage it supplies two times more power than the Single Charger can process. This is where Dual Chargers come into play, doubling the charging capacity to 20 kW to match the output of the Wall Connector."

https://www.teslamotors.com/models-charging#/basics

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    For NEMA 14-50 levels you don't need dual chargers. For HPWC max speed you do. Chargers aren't needed for Superchargers so you dont need dual chargers for that either. Im guessing the 3 won't have a dual charger option.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    Pardon my ignorance but when you say dual chargers are there two different charge ports on the vehicle?

Dan