1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Supercharging: Pricing Options?!?

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Reggie, Apr 5, 2016.

More threads by Reggie
  1. Reggie

Expand Collapse

Principal Consultant
    City & State/Province:
    Fort Worth
    So, read an interesting article on Teslarati that echoed what I noticed on the Tesla website. On the M3 page, it says that the M3 is Supercharger Capable (which corresponds to what Elon Musk stated). But, it doesn't specify that Supercharging will be included in the base price of the car. I know that when the Model S came out, Supercharging was a $2K upgrade (today, the price is included with the cost of the Model S/X). I would suspect that the upgrade cost on the M3 would not be that high, but as I look at the Tesla official supercharger site, I notice that the current map of North America as compared to the map of what things will look like at the end of the year is significantly improved. So, this makes me wonder:

Do you think that the M3 will have a flat price for Supercharging like the Model S/X? Or, do you think Tesla may come up with some subscription option? Personally, I prefer a flat price, but I also know that electricity, while cheap, isn't free, and costs Tesla something in addition to just hardware. I know that a requirement for me is Supercharging, but I'm curious as to what all you guys think about it.

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    They changed the verbiage on the website to "Supercharging Capable" which indicates "not included" like on Model S.

Since they're going to double the number of Supercharges by the end of next year to be able to handle the extra load imposed by Model 3 cars I think they will look at it closer and make a determination then. Either they will impose say a $1000 one=time charge or say "screw it" and just include it in every car. Tesla wants to make adoption of EVs as frictionless as possible.

If it were up to Elon only he'd include it free of charge with every car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Van Shrider

Expand Collapse

Flavor Chemist
      City & State/Province:
      Ohio USA
      I saw this in the @TeslaModel3News tweet today at noon EST. I went back to the YouTube of the reveal to make sure that I heard it right then I went off with a reply hoping that Tesla/Elon would see it. Like and retweet, the more attention it gets the better.

• Scott

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Florida
      Elon would likely say, "It kinda sucks having a publicly traded company"

• teslaliving

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Boston
      Country
      It used to cost $2,500 to add Supercharging to a S60 which had the hardware. Tesla needs to do what they need to to hit their margins. The charging infrastructure costs serious money to create (I heard $300K/supercharger site) and then it costs money to maintain it. Right now they're paying for electric (almost none have solar panels) and that costs money too.

So they do have to do the right thing for profitability. I'd be surprised if they can economically include that supercharging part in the car's base price especially given as I think its more likely to be abused on the 3.

• Iwantatesla

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Uk
      Hope super charging is free but can pay £1000 if it's not but not got one near me yet but Might get one come 2018 here's hoping.

• Scott

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Florida
      I have been putting some thought into Super Charger Access as an option. I really hope it will be an option like Autonomous driving activation.... Because unless you really have a long commute, city to city where you spend over an hour a day in your car. It may not be worth activating right away. Although the "Idea" of driving cross country for Free like the Grizwolds suits some people, many people simply don't have the time off of work to travel that way...Thoughts?

• Cahoobie

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      San Francisco, CA
      I honestly think the language only changed because Supercharger stations aren't available everywhere the car will be sold. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen to suggest it includes "Supercharging" when that actually relies on you living within at least 215 miles of a station.

• LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
      City & State/Province:
      Texas
      #9 LUXMAN, Apr 9, 2016
      Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
      That is an interesting take on it. But I have a feeling that it will be a pay feature as most people think. I think it will be a $1,000 option. As Reggie said, these things cost money to build and maintain. It has to come from somewhere. I don't think I will pay for that option myself. I drive a Leaf everywhere and am fine. One of the reasons I am upgrading is the winter really hurts the range. And while my RT commute is only 62 miles, the winter can be dicey if I want to be toasty warm. It hasn't been a problem since there are free Level 2 chargers at work. But they are getting more and more crowded and they have been saying they will soon go PAY-GO. As I travel for work and leave the car for up to 3 days at a time, paying BLINK fees in not an option. But I almost never go on a road trip, so paying for a supercharge option is kinda silly. Then again, my spending $45k on this car is kinda silly vs. just stopping at a Chademo with the Leaf once in awhile in the winter.

• Like Like x 1
      • Cahoobie

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        San Francisco, CA
        Would they really say the base level model 3s including supercharging, or even the new language of "supercharge capable" if it was a pay option? If you have to pay for it as a feature, it's not included.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I think it would be seen as pretty weasly to charge extra when they're saying it's included.

• Like Like x 1
        • LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
          City & State/Province:
          Texas
          Since they did it with the 60kw Model S, the change in wording would indicate so, but you are right, we just have to wait and see.

• MJBull13

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Coconut Creek, Florida
          My guess is $1000-$1500 for supercharger access upgrade during order, $2000 if you order it later on.
          IMO there is no way supercharger access will be less than $1000.
          If it is only $1000 I for one will be very happy and snap it up upon my order.

• LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
          City & State/Province:
          Texas
          $1,000 sounds like a figure allot of people are betting on but here is a question. :D
          If it is free for life with the S/X and was $2000 for the 60kw.....if it is only $1000, will that be just for the original purchaser of the 3? So if you sell the car, will the next guy have to pay $1000? Now from what I have seen, there are no swipe cards on the Supercharger, right? So it is car software controlled. So if you sell the car, theoretically they could cut off the next owner.

• James Alexander

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Rogate, England
          #14 James Alexander, Apr 10, 2016
          Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
          Personally, I think Tesla have changed the wording with an eye to the second event. They have already shown the car, so the headlines for the second event will have to come from the Feature set. If Tesla let the press feed off doubters shouting about how Model 3 owners shouldn't get the same benefits of supercharging as S & X owners because they paid more for their car there are many opportunities for the second event. I think Elon will jump on stage and grab the following headlines:

1. Free Autopilot for all Tesla models *many of the safety features are going to be legal requirements in Europe by launch anyway.
          2. Formula One style steering wheel with embedded screen *able to show a lot of the old binnacle info.
          3. Free access to Supercharging network for all Tesla (current and future) models. *I can see this being limited to a set amount of hours per year. I'd be happy with around 24 hours use.
          4. Massive paint and graphic personalization options. - *high profit, a la BMW Mini model

Just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 4
          • MJBull13

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Coconut Creek, Florida
            I agree with just about all your thoughts except for lots of options / personalizations.
            Streamlined, fast production is so vitally important for the Model 3 that I expect there to be very few paint options, and things like glass roof are probably not going to be stand alone options but part of a premium package.
            Just imagine Tesla trying to put out 250k-400k cars in a year after they have been struggling to produce what, 50k cars per year?
            I have faith that the 3 is going to be awesome, and that Tesla will do the right thing when it comes to autopilot and supercharging.
            Those that may abuse the local supercharger could simply get a warning or two from Tesla, then a time out, and finally an outright ban from their local supercharger if thats what it takes.

• Like Like x 1
            • LUXMAN

Expand Collapse

Pilot
              City & State/Province:
              Texas
              So the model 3 page has changed again as of 3:20am CT. It now says "Supercharging". That's it. The word Capable is gone. Hummmmm, maybe Elon is gonna include it.

• Like Like x 2
              • teslaliving

Top-Contributor
                Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Boston
                Country
                Supercharging on the S60 was a pay update. The hardware was there but a software update was needed to enable it. So if you sold it to a new owner it would go with the software and they'd get it too.

All the S60s Tesla sells via their CPO program have Supercharging enabled.

• Don

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Florida

• Don

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Florida
                In 2014, Tesla gave us some insight about the costs of expanding its Supercharging network in its 2014 10Q filing. In 2014 Tesla had 480 Supercharging locations globally, And it said that it would only need to allocate about 5% of its planned $1.5 billion in capital spending over the next 12 months to grow its Supercharger network by about 50% in 2014.

What we can extrapolate from this is that each supercharging station will cost Tesla roughly $312,500:

5% of $1.5 billion (or $75,000,000) of planned capital spending in 2014 to grow its 480 supercharging stations in 2014 by 50% (or 240 stations).

$75,000,000 / 240 stations = $312,500

Elon Musk indicated during the Model 3 launch they are planning to double the number of Supercharging stations around the world to 7,200 by the end of 2017. Thus, 3600 new supercharging stations to be built in 2016 and 2017.

3600 stations x $312,500 equals about $1.125 billion in capital expenditure for the announced expansion of the supercharging network.

If Tesla wants to finance this by incorporating it in the model 3 price, $1.125 billion divided by a projected 500,000 Model 3 cars, it equals a cost of $2250 per Model 3. If the projections are 1 million Model 3 sold, the cost would be reduced to $1125.

One would think the cost should be even lower because the supercharging network benefits all the Tesla vehicles on the road for the next 20 years but as the number of Tesla vehicles increase substantially, so will the number of supercharging stations.

I'm expecting a $1000 to $1500 option price for access to the supercharging network. With that said I would much rather have a monthly or yearly access subscription and not a "on or off" option.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • Thalass

Expand Collapse

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
                  City & State/Province:
                  Ontario, Canada
                  I'm alternating between the possible options, myself. On the one hand I doubt I'll use the supercharger network enough to justify a one-off lump sum payment. On the other hand there are already elitist rumblings elsewhere from S and X owners about us 3 plebs getting supercharging for free. I'm sure that'll get worse if we have to pay a subscription or a per use fee. Either way it will still be a thing I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 1